Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-18-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Angel_Enraged
Angel_Enraged began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Compatible format for sony 505?

Hi everyone NEWBIE all around here - Just bought a sony 505 cause I want to try E-books (I Have way too many printed books and zero storage). My question is Can I purchase e-books from places other than Connect? and If so What would be the best format to purchase if the "sony" format isn't available? Would HTML be a good format to use? Thanks for any help you can offer!
Angel_Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I should preface my reply with the statement that we do not discuss DRM circumvention on this forum. Sorry.

It is possible to purchase an ebook in MSReader LIT format and convert it to Sony LRF. The two tools you will need are ConvertLIT and libprs500. Both can be found through Google.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Check this thread (should be a sticky in my opinion).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I pick up a lot of stuff from Fictionwise. They have about 6,000 books already in the Sony format (with no DRM). Analog and other magazines are also offered in Sony format.

Also, www.SteveJordanBooks.com has all of his writings in Sony format.

Be sure to check out what we have here in the e-book download section.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I should preface my reply with the statement that we do not discuss DRM circumvention on this forum. Sorry.

It is possible to purchase an ebook in MSReader LIT format and convert it to Sony LRF. The two tools you will need are ConvertLIT and libprs500. Both can be found through Google.
You can discuss DRM circumvention but you cannot give detailed how-to or links where to get the software or for that matter attaching the software is right out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Enraged View Post
Hi everyone NEWBIE all around here - Just bought a sony 505 cause I want to try E-books (I Have way too many printed books and zero storage). My question is Can I purchase e-books from places other than Connect? and If so What would be the best format to purchase if the "sony" format isn't available? Would HTML be a good format to use? Thanks for any help you can offer!
If you cannot get books at the Connect Store that you want, try a shop like BooksOnBoard or Fictionwise. Purchase MS Reader (LIT) format books. You can use a program called ConvertLIT to remove the DRM and end up with a LIT that is DRM free. Then you can use lit2lrf (part of libprs500) to convert that LIT to LRF to load on your 505 and enjoy reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Enraged View Post
Others have assumed you wanted to buy books but there are plenty of free ways to get books into your unit. For example there are almost 1000 books that you can download from the eBooks selection on this web site. Take a look and see what is here. These are public domain books or books where the author has provided permission. The way these are converted in mostly with Book Designer. Check the wiki for Book Designer.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
Angel_Enraged
Angel_Enraged began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I appreciate all of the help guys!

I wanted the Sony reader because it looked to be the most friendly of the readers. I was under the impression that I could put books on there from any e-book store. SURPIRSE for me!

I do not have a problem buying from connect and I am not specifically looking to get a bunch of books w/out paying for them, (although everyone loves a freebie and I sure will be taking the advice on the free books) But there are Books I would like to buy that is not available from connect or offered in the correct format in any e-book store. Some of the books seem to be offered in every format except sony.

Like I said I'm new to e-books/e-readers - a newbie all around - and am clueless. But you guys have done a great job of helping me out. I appreciate the info and help!
Angel_Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
When I first got my Sony Reader, I went to Connect and purchased a couple books. Then I found this site, and some of the best books I've read recently are ones that are available right here on the forum. Unless there is something you were specifically interested in reading that just came out, I would suggest going through everything that is available here. There are some truly amazing books available here for the cost of a download.

Jim
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:13 PM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Since nobody else mentioned them, be sure to check out Baen Books most notably their Webscriptions service. They're a publisher, not a book retailer, so the vast bulk of their content is their own SF and Fantasy novels, with a smattering of content from other publishers they've made deals with. The books are not yet available in Sony's lrf format, so you'll need one of the aforementioned conversion programs (libprs500 or BookDesigner). On the other hand, all their books are DRM free so you can convert them both easily and legally. There's also the Baen Free Library whose books are, well, free.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote