Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
gnarlynewport
gnarlynewport began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Desktop PC
Question ABBYY questions about the Style Editor

First off, I'm thrilled to have found this site. I'm a programmer looking to build book-based applications. I'm currently trying to learn ABBYY in detail, but feel stuck in beginner mode.

I'm looking for some advice on training the reader, specifically with the format/styles.

A common example might be recognizing page numbers from scanned books. Currently, I know how to create a custom style (I called mine PageNumber), and apply that too the area where the page number occurs. However, I don't know how to do this in batches. I also don't know what good it does me, like is it possible to omit a certain style when saving to pdf or html?

If anyone has some pointers or links to guides, that'd be very helpful. I'm using ABBYY 10 and have the User Guide PDF that it came with, but I don't find it very helpful.

Thanks,

Wyatt
gnarlynewport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Automation isn't quite there yet, and with random printing flaws it will probably never will.

In FineReader (not "ABBYY", saying "ABBYY" is like saying "are you using Mozilla?" instead of Firefox), I usually set the zoom level to fit the height of the page and go through the book using the scroll button. For each page I delete the heathers and footers (page numbers) by clicking them and tapping the Delete key. And while I'm at it, I make sure all the other recognised areas are in their proper place.

Then I save the file as .docx and set the heathers and footers from Word 2010, exactly the same for each page. Except if it's an ePUB. Then I leave them out entirely.

Regarding styles, here's a tip:

Scan the book and use the down arrow to go through all the paragraphs from the book. When you find a formatting style that isn't either "Heading#", "Body text" or "Footnote" you simply change it. Don't worry if you skip some of them because in Word 2010 (and possibly other text editors) you can use the Advanced Find feature (Ctrl+F and click the magnifying glass) and find text by what style was used.

Then when you find text with an unacceptable style, you simply change it to the appropriate style and delete the "orphan" style.

Last edited by DSpider; 05-07-2011 at 10:51 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
abbyy, ocr, programming