Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #106
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
I've not upgraded yet, either. I'm on 14.2, like you, but I have experienced freezing. I've had my PB 360 for around a month now and I've had to reset it using the reset button four times. That surprised me, because I haven't heard anyone else complaining about that.

I'm not complaining at all. I LOVE my PB 360 and would certainly recommend them to everyone.

I'm interested to hear the answer to your questions.
I have had to reset about 3 times since December 2009. Usually this has happended as a result of charging the device. I connect the AC charger, then I get the little pop-up asking whether I want to connect via USB to a computer or charge only, so I choose charge only. Then I leave the device to charge - usually it's no problems, and when I disconnect after charging everything's fine. But a couple of time when I disconnect the charger the keypad doesn't unlock and the device doesn't respond, even to a power down, so I then have to use the reset button. I've had no other needs for a reset, but as described below, I regularly power the device off when I eject the SD card.

Another weird one is sometimes when charging the PB360 never seems to 'finish' - i.e. the red indicator lamp never changes to green to show fully charged - yet if I dicsconnect it after some hours or overnight it shows full and behaves normally.

As noted above, I also have the classic Sandisk micro-SD problem that requires a reboot to read the card properly. Usually I keep all my eBooks on the micro-SD, so when I need to update the card I power down the PB360, eject the card, add/remove books to my folder as needed, then re-insert the card and power the device back on. Initially it will only show internal memory, and if I choose something like 'Books' the device will then reboot and after that the card is recognised. Apparently this doesn't happen with some other brands of card? Does 15.1 firmware address this issue (I believe not)?
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #107
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
I connect the AC charger, then I get the little pop-up asking whether I want to connect via USB to a computer or charge only, so I choose charge only. Then I leave the device to charge - usually it's no problems, and when I disconnect after charging everything's fine. But a couple of time when I disconnect the charger the keypad doesn't unlock and the device doesn't respond, even to a power down, so I then have to use the reset button. I've had no other needs for a reset, but as described below, I regularly power the device off when I eject the SD card.
I've had this exact thing happen as well while using 15.1, twice . Also a few random freezes while reading. So about 4 since getting the device on 4/11.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #108
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I've had this exact thing happen as well while using 15.1, twice . Also a few random freezes while reading. So about 4 since getting the device on 4/11.
So is 4/11 =

(1) 4 Nov, or
(2) 11 Apr ?

I'm guessing (2), which is not good! Seems like I'm best of sticking with 14.2 (original) firmware, given that I use the 'FBReader with wrist pageturn' and 15.1 doesn't seem to offer any real enhancements versus the potential for worse performance/behaviour...

I'll wait for a 15.2 / 16.1 evolution - I'me extremely happy with my PB360 (FW14.2) - far more stable than my BeBook1, compact, a dream to use, and FBReader is fantastic! I would like to see a CoolReader port, but the FBReader implementation is so good I don't miss CoolReader anymore!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #109
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
So is 4/11 =

(1) 4 Nov, or
(2) 11 Apr ?

I'm guessing (2), which is not good! Seems like I'm best of sticking with 14.2 (original) firmware, given that I use the 'FBReader with wrist pageturn' and 15.1 doesn't seem to offer any real enhancements versus the potential for worse performance/behaviour...
Yes April 11, 2010. Sorry.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #110
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Yes April 11, 2010. Sorry.
Pocketbook advises strongly to use FW14.2, as there are stability issues with 15.1.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #111
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Pocketbook advises strongly to use FW14.2, as there are stability issues with 15.1.
They probably should make that clear on their web-pages, or even withdraw the v15.1 from their downloads. I notice the PocketGoods.de page only has 14.2 for download on their 'Support' page, but the other sites still have 15.1 with no warnings whatsoever.

Any planned date yet for a new release?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #112
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They probably should make that clear on their web-pages, or even withdraw the v15.1 from their downloads. I notice the PocketGoods.de page only has 14.2 for download on their 'Support' page, but the other sites still have 15.1 with no warnings whatsoever.

Any planned date yet for a new release?
Well, actually, no. As soon as possible. You are right about the versions problem, of course. We will try to get that right.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #113
orwell2k
Addict

Quote:
Well, actually, no. As soon as possible. You are right about the versions problem, of course. We will try to get that right.
Actually I have no complaints about the 14.2 firmware. I use the FBReader with wrist page-turns rather than the PB version, and rarely use ADE. If there was a firmware update I would like it to make significant improvements in ADE (as would everyone, no doubt!) but I suspect that is out of the control of PocketBook developers and depends on Adobe actually doing something for their customers - a forlorn hope, I suspect...
Old 05-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #114
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Actually I have no complaints about the 14.2 firmware. I use the FBReader with wrist page-turns rather than the PB version, and rarely use ADE. If there was a firmware update I would like it to make significant improvements in ADE (as would everyone, no doubt!) but I suspect that is out of the control of PocketBook developers and depends on Adobe actually doing something for their customers - a forlorn hope, I suspect...
Well, there are more zoom options for ADE in 15.2, the page numbers are generally smaller and more of the screen acreage is used for the text. So that's quite nice already.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #115
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Well, there are more zoom options for ADE in 15.2, the page numbers are generally smaller and more of the screen acreage is used for the text. So that's quite nice already.
If one is stuck with zoom factors instead of true font size choices, at least the six supplied are actually useful. Which is more than can be said for the annoying side page numbers. If those can't be erradicated, how aout allowing the option to get rid of the (redundant) status bar?

And as for full screen text display, *my* biggest gripe (bigger han the execrable size number!) is the lack of white space. How's about some margin settings?

I understand that internally ADE doesn't really do typography so asking for typographic controls on their TTY-era rendering is pretty much hopeless, but one can dream, right?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #116
Anders Eriksson
Connoisseur
Anders Eriksson doesn't litterAnders Eriksson doesn't litter

Device: a blue Opus
Quote:
And it will remember the last open page also after "exit -> open again"
and not as in 14.2 that opens 2 pages before the last open.
Anders Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #117
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Betaversion of 15.2 available on German forum

There is betaversion of long awaited 15.2 on the German forum.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=169

The betaversion has been posted yesterday, but as usual, nobody from the PocketBook officers could be bothered to let us know here on English forum.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #118
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

The betaversion has been posted yesterday, but as usual, nobody from the PocketBook officers could be bothered to let us know here on English forum.
Sorry, yesterday did not have time to place is here, just going to lay out now.

PB301+
http://pocketbook-global.com/downloa...de_ws_15_2.zip

PB360°

PB302

Webkit Browser Version 0.2

http://pocketbook-global.com/downloa...er/Browser.zip
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #119
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

We are really sorry for this. This was specifically my mistake. I should have been more attentive.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #120
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Testing of 15.2 beta

I have updated my reader immediately.

There was one small problem on my PB 360

After updating I have reset the reader, just as it asked me to.
Then I have connected the reader with the SD card inside to my PC (Mint Linux based on Ubuntu) so I could erase the update file from the card.
I have deleted the file and unmounted the memory and card.
When I disconnected the cable the reader displayed an empty white screen with black picture of SD card and white diagonal cross on the card.
I have switched the reader off and on again and it works now.

Quick "last read books" menu.
We have been asking for more functionality for the power button. Doubleclick did not seem to be working well in 15.1
Now, when you map the short press of power button to the "last read books" there is a small menu at the top, where you can switch off the reader, go to main menu, lock the screen and make screenshot. Very nice detail. It is very good to know that developers listen to us.

Settings menu
In settings menu there is new feature called User Profiles that lets several people have different configuration.
There are also some new options in Maintenance menu.
Clean state is an interesting option. I think that It does delete also bookmarks (something we were discussing in another thread)
Another interesting option is making backup of configuration to SD card.

fbreader
I was hoping Guys in Kiev (TM) would port some interesting features from the fbreader180. They didn't. I guess PocketBook wants to keep the application simple for casual readers. Technically savvy users will keep installing the third-party fbreader.
I like that there are LOTS of encodings to choose from. This is very important now that PocketBook readers are being sold in more and more countries.
I very much like the new dialog for font selection. It does not display Regular, Bold, Italics, Bold Italics variant in the list of fonts, it offers those variants in another column. Now selecting font is much quicker. I also like the way the text is changing when you select new font. I suggest that PocketBook changes the sample text for viewing the font selection to something longer now that there is enough space in the text window.

I haven't noticed any changes in Adobe reader, but I use it very, very seldom. The font size can be now changed in 6 steps. The default is the smallest one.

That is all for now.
My device seems to be working as it used to with 14.2 despite my furious tests.
We shall see more about stability in several weeks.

One more thing:
I would very much appreciate list of changes against 14.2 and 15.1, so we can test all the new functionality.

Last edited by kacir; 05-29-2010 at 01:05 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote