Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Emily Dickinson (complete) for Kindle?

Okay, I'm nuts about Emily dickinson. I'd love to have a complete collection of her works on my Kindle.

I found a free .mobi file of it, but it didn't look right on my kindle and it's very difficult to navigate.

Can anyone reccommend a good ebook that contains ALL of Emily's works? There are some for .99 cents Kindle edition on Amazon but I'm not sure if they contain all the poems (it didn't say).

It's okay if I have a pay a little. I just want something that I can read/navigate through easily.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Wolf, this thread might interest you (read it through to the end):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15321
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityWolf View Post
Okay, I'm nuts about Emily dickinson. I'd love to have a complete collection of her works on my Kindle.

I found a free .mobi file of it, but it didn't look right on my kindle and it's very difficult to navigate.

Can anyone reccommend a good ebook that contains ALL of Emily's works? There are some for .99 cents Kindle edition on Amazon but I'm not sure if they contain all the poems (it didn't say).

It's okay if I have a pay a little. I just want something that I can read/navigate through easily.
Why don't you create such a book yourself and upload it here? That way we'd all benefit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #4
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, why don't you collect and compile all 1,775 of Dickinson's extant poems. And make sure you try to keep faithful to the writer's intent, keep track of the copy-text, try not to "correct" the "funny" punctuation, and order them in a way that makes sense. Oh, and try not to violate any copyright accompanying any reference that you might use.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like a very worthwhile project to me.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds like a very worthwhile project to me.
That's the spirit! Just don't take too long, Wolf.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Time is of much less importance than doing a good job. Eg, I could create an eBook version of one of my Dickens books from PG source in 10 minutes, but it wouldn't bear comparison with what I've actually posted here, which is typically the result of 100+ hours of work per book.

Better to spend the time to do it right than to rush out an unfinished botched job.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
Well, first off, I'm a full-time student and I don't think I'd have the time to dedicate to properly putting together the book. I love Emily Dickinson as well, but I don't think I have the know-how to put her works together properly in an ebook without messing everything up.

I may make something someday, but certainly not now.
Thanks for the help though guys
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityWolf View Post
Well, first off, I'm a full-time student and I don't think I'd have the time to dedicate to properly putting together the book. I love Emily Dickinson as well, but I don't think I have the know-how to put her works together properly in an ebook without messing everything up.

I may make something someday, but certainly not now.
Thanks for the help though guys
I hope you checked out the link above. You might find some alternatives there that might be acceptable, if not perfect, for you.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Time is of much less importance than doing a good job. Eg, I could create an eBook version of one of my Dickens books from PG source in 10 minutes, but it wouldn't bear comparison with what I've actually posted here, which is typically the result of 100+ hours of work per book.

Better to spend the time to do it right than to rush out an unfinished botched job.
Yes, indeed, it does take a lot of time to make a well-formatted ebook which has minimal errors. I was just teasing about hurrying up. I know that there have been many times when I've downloaded free ebooks from various sources, only to find that there are duplicated paragraphs, missing paragraphs, etc.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
Mousewaffle
Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Mousewaffle is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
The Family Feud of Poetry

Dickinson's poems were, for a century or more, snagged in Gordian Knot of copyright restrictions, largely deriving from the fact that Emily's brother, Austin, couldn't keep it in his pants. Several books have been written documenting and trying to untangle the snarl, but basically it is this:

After Emily's death in 1886, her manuscripts were mostly in two hands: her sister Lavinia's and her sister-in-law Susan's — neither of whom liked the other.

Lavinia turned her collection over to Amherst gadfly Mabel Loomis Todd who worked with Boston editor Thomas Wentworth Higginson to "edit" the poems for publication. "Editing" involved reorganizing Emily's words and eccentric punctuation to fit 19th Century conventions, resulting in severely corrupt versions of Emily's originals. These versions, published in a series of three volumes by Roberts Brothers, became the accepted standard, and most cheap or free Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson, both in print and electronic, are based on these.

Meanwhile, Susan — whose husband had been carrying on a not-too-secret affair with Mabel Todd — refused to contribute her collection to Lavinia's project. Her manuscripts were eventually "edited" and published by Susan's daughter and Emily's niece, Martha Dickinson Bianchi.

The Family Feud of Poetry continued until 1955 when Harvard scholar Thomas H. Johnson gathered the 1,775 known poems, deciphered Emily's tortured handwriting, and Harvard Press published them — chronologically ordered and unedited. This is the basis for the real Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson.

In 1981, Ralph W. Franklin did what amounts to a forensic study of the various manuscripts and published them, resulting in a different order but not radically different texts.

Scanned (and mostly proofed) copies of the Johnson collection began showing up on the Internet starting with Usnet (remember Usnet?). A few years back, for my own use (legal, since I own bought-and-paid-for dead-tree copies), I made an ebook of the Johnson collection, with a linked index of first lines. If someone can guarantee me that the Johnson texts are public domain (or at least legal for distribution), I'll gladly up my copy.

The delphiclassics.com collection has an Emily Dickinson volume that contains the Roberts Brothers series as well as what seems to be the 1,775 poems of the Johnson collection (with variorum versions) and the public-domain version of the "Letters." Delphi does a pretty good job on its projects so if you're looking for a cheap ($1.99), probably fairly complete, probably fairly well proofed collection, I'd go with that.
Mousewaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #12
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^ minor nit: Usenet, not usnet
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is there any particular reason that you're responding to an 8-year-old thread?
Old 09-15-2016, 08:48 PM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ sorry, I just had to reset tapatalk and this popped up. Didn't notice the date
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
If anyone is still interested you might want to look at this:

http://www.bartleby.com/113/

They claim to have 597 Emily Dickenson poems there to read, indexed by category and first lines.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote