Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
Initial thoughts on the 650

I thought id give a short review of my initial thoughts seeing as many people still dont have there devices to hand or are wait on more information.

First and formost, I am not impressed by the build quality of the 650 when compared to the 600. It looks more plasticly and is that much better than a kindle. Its just not as soild as before. I would strongly advise buying a case at the first opportunity.

but as for the screen, Wow. Im not sure it exactly matches the kindle 3, but its not far from it. It is really something you need to see to believe. No video online can convey the level of clarity the new screen has. Very impressed.

However, the better screen brings with it a unsuspecting drawback:- now you notice how pixelated some of the fonts can be. It almost feel like when you have a smartphone, then you buy a feature phone. it does its job well but I think they should of bumped the screen resolution up a bit.

as for the library scan...WOW. I loaded up just over 5000 books, both epubs and much larger PDF's and outside the normal hiccups calibre would normally give when processing that many files, I was off reading within 15 mins. Im extremely impressed at this. Sony really got there act together with this issue. I will admit, the device is slightly more laggy now, but nothing that I feel is worth complaining about considering.

A normal Micro-usb charger will work with the device, although it didn't seem to like my Ipad charger.

PDF reflow is excellent, I have no real complaints about it. I have tried the new page view feature too and im impressed, although I don't have much use for it. The lock zoom is handy also.

I also played with the contrast settings, alot they are also a welcome addition, i dont have much use for them.

Handwriting notes is a bit more laggy than the 600, its not really that useful anymore. On the inverse, the note taking feature with the on screen keyboard seems to have improved alot.

all in all Id say this is a mixed bag. The price, the lesser build quailty are big turnoffs but the improved software makes up for it. I dont see this being a kindle killer in the UK, but it is the best reader ive used for my personal requirements.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Joshseadog
Enthusiast
Joshseadog doesn't litterJoshseadog doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thanks for your vew. Imust say however I picked my 650 up last Friday and have been using it extensively in all lighting conditions and I am mega impressed with its screen readiblity and clarity, also the speed of page turns and general processor speed/functions. I have no issues with the build quality I feel that it is well made. I cannot compare to 600 never had one, this is my first Sony reader. I can compare to Kindle 3 having had two units delivered both units kept on freezing and would not reboot. Had to wait over two weeks to get first replaced and was informed it could take a month to get the next unit replaced. I then cancelled and was refunded. The short time I used the Kindles imho I say the screens are on par with each other, speed is a definate 1st place to Sony as is its superior build quality. Price,wireless 3g obviuosly goes to Kindle if you need those functions, I personally felt I could live without. Now if only Sony would drop their price some I believe they would have the best all round reader.
Joshseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert