Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
spikebrennan
spikebrennan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Feature request: make two or more files into one big file

I'd like a feature that enables me to combine two or more files in my library into one longer file.

For example, let's say that my library contains Chapter-01.pdf, Chapter-03.pdf and Chapter-02.pdf. (As seen below, I'm intentionally ordering them like this in this example).

I'd like the option to select those three PDF files, then direct Calibre to construct one single, long PDF that consists of the three files, one after the other, in the order Chapter-01.pdf, then Chapter-02.pdf, then Chapter-03.pdf, and add that compilation PDF to my library.
spikebrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This has been asked for a number of times. It is a lot harder than it might seem. It is not just the content that would need to be merged, but also other information such as fonts, margins, heading, stylesheets etc which could well conflict with each other between the different files.

I think you would have more luck looking for a dedicated tool to achieve this.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
This request is a book editing function, and I'd rather that Calibre focus on its book cataloging function.

However, I'd very much like to see Calibre eventually offer a "Send to Editor" function. Currently, you can select internal viewer or external viewer, and if you like, you can change the external viewer to an external editor.

For text format, my external viewer is also my editor, but I'd like to be able to read EPUBs with the Calibre viewer, and separately "Send to Editor" to send it to Sigil.

For editors that have the capability, it would be nice to be able to send multiple files to the editor. Then the OP could send his 3 pdfs to a pdf editor (Send to Editor would have a pulldown of formats, allowing multiple books to be selected and send the pdf format from each book to the defined editor for pdf format). He'd then use the merge function to collapse the records into one.

Last edited by Starson17; 07-19-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
That sounds like it would be useful for the creation of omnibuses.

One of my projects for when I get a whole bucket of Round Tuits is to try out Sigil and gather my assortment of Robert E. Howard short stories into thematic collections. Being able to gather all the proper ones right in calibre would certainly make the whole process easier.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
PDFMerge is a nice little free utility which can join multiple PDFs together or split a PDF into parts.

You can find it here http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfmerge/
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert