Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #31
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Butler View Post
I did a short subscription at Amazon before realizing Fictionwise was cheaper. The issues I got didn't have DRM, they appeared to just be renamed mobi files. Try just copying them to your K2
Thanks for pointing this out. I actually tried moving them over a few days ago, just on spec, and was quite pleased to find out that it worked. So now my major issue is that they have completely incomprehensible file titles (not something simple like 20090101 or something like that, no this is an alphanumeric string with the first four or six digits always the same) so there's one I haven't moved over and I can't tell which one it is

But at least I have access to all of them, theoretically.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #32
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can always rename the files when you download them. I always do.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #33
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that would have worked if I'd done it months ago, but it's a little too late now, alas.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should be able to connect via USB, and rename the files on the Kindle "drive". I don't know if renaming the .mbp files will work, or if you would have to delete those, thus losing bookmarks, etc.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #35
catsittingstill
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You should be able to connect via USB, and rename the files on the Kindle "drive". I don't know if renaming the .mbp files will work, or if you would have to delete those, thus losing bookmarks, etc.
Alas my problem is that I can't simultaneously look at the contents of the file (read the magazine to figure out which month it is) and look at the filename of that file so I can rename it.

Except...I could move all the files to my hard drive, delete them from the Kindle, then load them on the Kindle one at a time so I could read the magazine title on the Kindle, then hook it up to the USB connection and rename the file. Since there would be only one file present, the fact that I can't examine its filename and contents simultaneously shouldn't be a problem.

It would be a pain but I think it would work.
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #36
ToeRag
ToeRag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (2) & Kindle Fire (2)
Can anyone tell me if the April 2009 issue has been released?

I Signed up for the subscription., bought Jan-Feb & March separately and they appear in my bookshelf, however on the subscription there is no way to download or select email to my kindle from within the listing????
ToeRag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Alas my problem is that I can't simultaneously look at the contents of the file (read the magazine to figure out which month it is) and look at the filename of that file so I can rename it.
If you don't have it already, install the Windows MobiPocket viewer. Then you can just double click on a file in Windows Explorer to open it and see which issue it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:54 AM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
At fictionwise the May 2009 issue of Analog was released on 6th March. The April 2009 issue was released at the beginning of February.

If there's any way to cancel your Amazon/Kindle subscription to Analog, I'd urge you to subscribe through Fictionwise instead. Otherwise, when your Kindle breaks or is otherwise replaced, you'll only be able to transfer over the three most recent issues of your magazine subscriptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeRag View Post
Can anyone tell me if the April 2009 issue has been released?

I Signed up for the subscription., bought Jan-Feb & March separately and they appear in my bookshelf, however on the subscription there is no way to download or select email to my kindle from within the listing????
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #39
ToeRag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
At fictionwise the May 2009 issue of Analog was released on 6th March. The April 2009 issue was released at the beginning of February.

If there's any way to cancel your Amazon/Kindle subscription to Analog, I'd urge you to subscribe through Fictionwise instead. Otherwise, when your Kindle breaks or is otherwise replaced, you'll only be able to transfer over the three most recent issues of your magazine subscriptions.
my subscription IS from Fictionwise!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #40
susan_cassidy
Wizard

I have a single issue of Analog I bought from Fictionwise (I lost the print version and wanted to read a serial). In my bookshelf, it has the buttons for downloading and emailing to Kindle. Contact Fictionwise customer support if that does not work for you.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #41
ToeRag

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I have a single issue of Analog I bought from Fictionwise (I lost the print version and wanted to read a serial). In my bookshelf, it has the buttons for downloading and emailing to Kindle. Contact Fictionwise customer support if that does not work for you.
I can't seem to find a telephone number to call, only a "support" page that lacks the correct information to select a reason for my problems.

I'll keep looking... but so far I'm not impressed with the ease of resolving a customer support issue.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In your bookshelf, there should be an item for the subscription that shows you how many issues are remaining in your subscription.

If you don't have such an item in your bookshelf, it looks like something went wrong with your subscription purchase.

If you do have such an item, you should also have subsequent issues in your bookshelf.

Either way, go to Help/Online Database; Contact Customer Support/Suggestions and Feedback/Get More Help

Fill in the form there, and you should have a reply from customer services fairly shortly - possibly a bit longer over the holiday weekend. (Do US business have today and Monday off?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeRag View Post
my subscription IS from Fictionwise!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #43
catsittingstill
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you don't have it already, install the Windows MobiPocket viewer. Then you can just double click on a file in Windows Explorer to open it and see which issue it is.
Alas, I use a Mac.

I might be able to do this with Stanza, though, since the files aren't DRMed.

Hmm.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

You need my QuickLook plug-in for Mobipocket ebooks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25603

Then you'll be able to see the cover while changing the file name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Alas, I use a Mac.

I might be able to do this with Stanza, though, since the files aren't DRMed.

Hmm.