Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
resources for free wordprocessing downloads?

I never got Office working correctly after my laptop crashed.

I need to start putting my research together for the attorneys. does anyone have any recommendations for free software I can download to get some sort of a word processing program? I am currently running Vista.

I'm in Mexico for a brief period of time for this trial and my resources are limited.

thanks folks!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Have you tried openoffice ? http://www.openoffice.org/

I use it on one of my laptops. I still like Office 2003 over 2007, but open office works.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Open Office is a wonderful set of programs, very similar to Microsoft Office Suite. It's got a word processor, spreadsheet & presentation program. Takes a bit of getting used to if you're coming from Word, but has most of the same features.

If you want something tiny, Abiword is less than 15mb installed; the features are limited but it's got the basics covered. And there's a portable version that will run off a USB drive instead of having to install it on someone else's computer.

OpenOffice also has a portable version. (93mb download; 230mb installed.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
thanks!!! I'm giving it a shot. I am willing to stand on my head in the corner and spit blue jelly beans to get something going. I had to finally abandon the "lanai" earlier. I think it was up to around 110 and hard to tell what the humidity was other than incredible. not to mention being eaten by all sorts of creepy crawlies! I have soooo many bug bites!!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
thanks!!! I'm giving it a shot. I am willing to stand on my head in the corner and spit blue jelly beans to get something going.
Now THAT would be entertaining.

Anyway, +1 on OpenOffice, but keep in mind that while it will open and display .docx files from Office '07, it will not save them as such (yet). Regular .doc files are okay.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
If all you need is word processing, Abiword downloads faster, and probably runs faster, as well. I don't know if it handles docx files, though. Maybe I should go Google it myself
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Now THAT would be entertaining.

Anyway, +1 on OpenOffice, but keep in mind that while it will open and display .docx files from Office '07, it will not save them as such (yet). Regular .doc files are okay.
I have to create the documents???? will it work? (downloading now)
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
OpenOffice is good, similar but slower than Word ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Is Wordpad not included in Vista?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
OpenOffice is good, similar but slower than Word ...
ok, excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I always make such a hash of it when I try to use wordpad!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I have to create the documents???? will it work? (downloading now)
Putting research together = creating documents.

Don't worry about the .docx thing; I just mentioned that in case you needed to edit an existing document that was saved in that format. If you're putting them together yourself you can save it as a .doc and no one will be the wiser; it'll open in Word and pretty much everything else anyone would use, which I imagine is what you really need at the moment.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 AM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Wordpad is more complete than it used to be, but as far as I can tell it doesn't include a spellchecker, which is a killer drawback if you're doing anything serious.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Putting research together = creating documents.

Don't worry about the .docx thing; I just mentioned that in case you needed to edit an existing document that was saved in that format. If you're putting them together yourself you can save it as a .doc and no one will be the wiser; it'll open in Word and pretty much everything else anyone would use, which I imagine is what you really need at the moment.
well it's been humming right along for me, thanks everyone! I've needed to keep 12 documents at a time open (that's how I need to enter the info) and it has been great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Wordpad is more complete than it used to be, but as far as I can tell it doesn't include a spellchecker, which is a killer drawback if you're doing anything serious.
I haven't tried it in several iterations of Windows. I used to completely get flumoxed by the formatting.