Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
ElLoco
ElLoco began at the beginning.

Device: booq
Author folder but not for books. It's possible?

Hi everyone. I'm using Calibre for first time and I have a question.
It's possible to have an author folder but not folder for each book?. It's possible changing anything in preferences?
ElLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No. You should treat the Calibre library folders and Files as a "Black Box" whose contents you cannot control or change. All manipulation should be via the Calibre GUI.

A side-effect is that Calibre should be given it's own dedicated folder to use - you should not try and re-use a folder that already has non-calibre content.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Inside Calibre, you can use tags, authors, book names, book series numbers, and other ways to sort and filter your book lists. This will give you much more than the functionality provided by having book folders.

This also comes into play if you have the book in more than one format (e.g., an epub and a PDF).

Just leave alone the Calibre library folder, and use the Calibre software to access it.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElLoco View Post
Hi everyone. I'm using Calibre for first time and I have a question.
It's possible to have an author folder but not folder for each book?. It's possible changing anything in preferences?
Read the answers above first, they are correct. However, once you understand them, if you want to have Calibre give you your books in an organized set of folders, with a folder for each author, but not for each book, that is possible and easy. I do that all the time when I put my books on an SD card for my readers. You merely set the Add/Save preferences for Saving Books to {author_sort}/{title}, then select the books you want delivered to wherever and save them. Similar techniques can be used for the Send to Device options.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I wrote up a big long rant on why you shouldn't mess with Calibre's private files. It took me a bit of looking to find it, but here it is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85232

I've put a link in my .sig, for future reference. I really need to tidy that up some.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
ElLoco

Thanks to all for your replies. I understand why I must have book folders, but if you want to make a backup of the folders of Calibre, the subfolder structure can suppose a problem in a CD, not must be a problem, but it can be.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It has never caused me a problem on a Cd or dvD
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks to all for your replies. I understand why I must have book folders, but if you want to make a backup of the folders of Calibre, the subfolder structure can suppose a problem in a CD, not must be a problem, but it can be.
If you backup to DVD/CD, then restore, all files become Read ONLY and must have their property status changed
OR
as a nice MR reader pointed out.
ZIP the folder First, then save that to DVD. The Zip is the only Read only file, all the files inside the zip, retain their original status.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
but if you want to make a backup of the folders of Calibre, the subfolder structure can suppose a problem in a CD, not must be a problem, but it can be.
??????

I have some experience as I'm sure we all do and I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you've experienced this improbable phenomenon I'd say you were very unlucky.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
ElLoco

Ok, ok I just said that that can happen. I hope that never have this problem.