Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #31
PiAir
PiAir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX and BeBook
How I try to perform the update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
How are you "using" the 0.05 bin?
I downloaded the .tar.gz file, unpacked it using 7-zip, attached the Kindle DX via USB, copied the update_usbnetwork.bin to the root folder of the Kindle.

Resetting is a bit difficult if the Kindle hasn't been registered, I can't use the option that is apparently available in Menu > Settings
The ALT + SHIFT + R option doesn't work either on my DX, it just brings up the search box.

Sooo, I just hold the slider for 15 seconds so the DX reboots.
It then says it is going to perform an update and not to switch of the device.

After a couple of seconds I get a message that the update failed and I get an error code and the advise to press the R 4 button.

After completing the reboot the .bin file has been deleted.

----
I also tried it with an edited usbnetwork like suggested in the other reply and used kindle_update_tool.py to rebuild the .bin
No luck either with that, exact same results.

Last edited by PiAir; 06-25-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #32
PiAir

No log, but I've got pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
Do you get this error when you perform firmware update? That's very unlkely, as I don't return any errors even if something has failed.
Could you post usbnetwork_install.log which is created during firmware update step?
I couldn't find any install.log but I took pictures:

This is what I see after the reset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/piair/3660962546/
and then I get this message:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/piair/3660155751/
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #33
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiAir View Post
I downloaded the .tar.gz file, unpacked it using 7-zip, attached the Kindle DX via USB, copied the update_usbnetwork.bin to the root folder of the Kindle.

Resetting is a bit difficult if the Kindle hasn't been registered, I can't use the option that is apparently available in Menu > Settings
First, I would try redownloading and recopying the file to make sure your version isn't corrupt.

Second, it's possible that the sleep update doesn't work the same as the Update Your Firmware, but I doubt it. EVEN THOUGH YOUR KINDLE IS NOT REGISTERED, you can still update from the Settings screen. After you copy the .bin file, go to Menu, settings, and then hit Menu AGAIN and you should have the option available.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #34
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs View Post
I never tried to this kind of stuff - my main goal was to get a convenient access to the Kindle so I can explore it.....
So, do you see any non-Amazon way of getting real PDF support ?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #35
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
I couldn't find any install.log but I took pictures:

This is what I see after the reset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/piair/3660962546/
and then I get this message:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/piair/3660155751/
The most likely problem is corrupted bin file - my install script always returns success regardless of the actual result.
If you don't see usbnetwork_install.log in the root of user partition, then no update was even attempted.
As sirbruce said, try performing update from "Settings" menu - this is how I do it.
Here are MD5 hashes for the correct files:
Code:
25491031ec1dc3ee87c598a2a2ae7140  update_usbnetwork-k2.bin
f21f74b1b4b38da4eba2365dbf143c41  update_usbnetwork.bin
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 01:06 AM   #36
PiAir

That was a great tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
First, I would try redownloading and recopying the file to make sure your version isn't corrupt.

Second, it's possible that the sleep update doesn't work the same as the Update Your Firmware, but I doubt it. EVEN THOUGH YOUR KINDLE IS NOT REGISTERED, you can still update from the Settings screen. After you copy the .bin file, go to Menu, settings, and then hit Menu AGAIN and you should have the option available.
Thank you so much for that tip!
Not only is it much faster than using the power switch it also is an indication of corrupts .bin files.
When I re-downloaded it and copied the unmodified one on, it recognised it and enabled the "Update Your Kindle" option. And then it worked without errors/problems.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/piair/3662091622/

When I tried it with the bin that I had been using, it didn't show that option.

I can now connect to the Kindle using telnet (since I don't know what good I can do there, I'll probably better stay away from that though)
Just forgot what a PIA setting up network sharing in XP is, so no test yet as far as going online with it.

Still, thanks for the help with this first part!
Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #37
PiAir

I apologize for asking all these n00b questions here, but I'm very new to Linux and the Mac and even though that would probably make it wiser not to mess with my Kindle in this way, I just can't/couldn't resist.

Here is what I've got:
* I installed the .bin to restore usbNetwork on my DX
* I enable usbNetwork using `usbNetwork and `usbQa
* I connected the Kindle to my DX, set the IP for the new interface to 192.168.2.1 (I left the default settings in usbNetwork), all the other boxes are empty
* I enabled internet sharing for the new interface through the Airport connection of the Macbook
* I opened up a terminal window and used 'ssh root@192.168.2.2' with password 'fiona' to connect to my DX from the Macbook.
* from this SSH session I can ping the Macbook from the Kindle DX using 'ping 192.168.2.1' but if I try to reach any of the other IP's on my local network (which is in the 192.168.1 range) or any IP outside my local network I get a 'Network is unreachable' error.
Of course that also means that the browser on the DX is unable to reach any

Any suggestions on where to look for why that happens, or is there something obvious that I should do to make that routing work?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #38
ebs
Zealot
ebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enoughebs will become famous soon enough

You need to add default gateway (my script even have it already, but commented out).
Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #39
PiAir

Ah, yes, that helped.

And after putting "nameserver DNS_IP" combinations in /etc/resolv.conf it also resolved domain names.

Other thing I did was set USE_WAN in "/opt/amazon/ebook/config/framework.mario.conf" to false.

Because my Kindle DX wasn't registered yet, it didn't have /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo yet
From this site I inderstood that the structure is like this:

Code:
<text>
        <user_device_name>Kindle Name</user_device_name>
        <name>username@mail.com</name>
        <alias>Kindle mail without the @kindle.com part</alias>
</text>
user_device_name = the name of the Kindle as shown by Amazon
name = my Amazon username
alias = the kindle mail address without the @kindle.com part

After creating that file the Kindle DX shows the Kindle name and the Settings and Device Information page shows the info.

Still, it looks as if the info in reginfo as shown here isn't complete. When trying to buy a book it still says that it isn't registered yet.
Even though the info matches the info for the Kindle as shown on http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle

Could someone with a properly registered Kindle have a look at the /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo to see if there is any info missing here?

One thing that I find strange is that I haven't added my password anywhere nor am I asked for my password when the Kindle tries to buy/register/deregister.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #40
PiAir

Question

Just in case it helps: I've capture a log using Wireshark while I used the Menu > "Sync & Check for Items".

Apparently there is some problem with the certificate that the Kindle receives from Amazon?

No. Time Source Destination Protocol Info
12 8.985401 192.168.2.2 207.171.166.113 TLSv1 Alert (Level: Fatal, Description: Certificate Unknown)

Could it be that the Kindle receives this certificate from Amazon when it registers? And if so, is there another way to get this on the Kindle?
Attached Files
File Type: txt Kindle_DX_Sync_and_Check_for_Items.txt (23.8 KB, 839 views)
Old 06-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #41
ebs
Zealot

Quote:
Could someone with a properly registered Kindle have a look at the /var/local/java/prefs/reginfo to see if there is any info missing here?
My reginfo has a slightly different structure, but nothing else of importance:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<response>
    <user_device_name>My Kindle</user_device_name>
    <global_device_name>NOT_USED</global_device_name>
    <given_name>My_First_Name</given_name>
    <name>My_Full_Name</name>
    <alias>Nick</alias>
</response>
Old 06-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #42
PiAir

Thanks for checking and posting. It indeed doesn't make any difference.
It still throws the certificate error that I posted in the log.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #43
Puppetmaster
Puppetmaster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 DX and Kindle 2
I got the script to work, and I am able to SSH to my Kindle DX. I can telnet, FTP, SSH and a lot of other things. But somewhere inside the Kindle my request for port 80 is getting stopped.

I tried to register my kindle but it just tells me that it can't connect. My wireshark does get anything...

I live in europe and I would like to se how the newspapers look.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:32 AM   #44
ebs
Zealot

usbnetworking auto start

If you are seriously playing with internal Kindle software (e.g. mucking with java stuff), I recommend making usbnetworking "auto-startable". Otherwise, if you corrupt something in framework, you'd need serial console for recovery.
Add this simple script to /etc/init.d:

Code:
[root@kindle init.d]# cat /etc/init.d/usbnet
#!/bin/sh

_FUNCTIONS=/etc/rc.d/functions
[ -f ${_FUNCTIONS} ] && . ${_FUNCTIONS}

US_ENABLE=/mnt/us/usbnet/AUTO

case "$1" in

start)
                if [ -f ${US_ENABLE} ]; then
                        /mnt/us/usbnet/usbnetwork
                else
                        msg "not usbnet" I
                fi
        ;;

stop)
                ;;
        *)
                msg "Usage: $0 {start|stop}" W >&2
                exit 1
                ;;
esac

exit 0
And then make it start-up script:
Code:
[root@kindle rcS.d]# ls -al /etc/rcS.d/*usbnet
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jan  2  1970 /etc/rcS.d/S72usbnet -> ../init.d/usbnet
After that, you'll be able to enable usbnetworking automatically by creating file "AUTO" in "usbnet" directory on user partition

Last edited by ebs; 07-04-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #45
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Great, ebs!

do you have any progress in the web browsing over USB?

Alex.
Closed Thread

Tags
kindle usb network