Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
MobileRead time outs

I find my MobileRead sessions are quite often timing out (3-4 times a day), and it takes about 5 minutes before I can reconnect - wondering if it's just me.

I've tried under IE and Opera - the symptoms are the same. A page request will time out, and timeouts will continue with all attempts to reconnect for the next 5 minutes or so.

I've only noticed this behaviour since the last MobileRead upgrade.
Other internet activity is normal.

Anything I can do?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:41 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
This is the first time I hear about a problem like this.

Sparrow, next time you have a time-out error, can you perform a traceroute and a ping to www.mobileread.com and send me the output?

Under Windows, you can do this by launching a command prompt and entering:

tracert www.mobileread.com
ping www.mobileread.com

Also, it'd be helpful if you could write down the exact time when it happens.

Best,
Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Alexander, will let you know details if it happens again.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Alex,

I've reported in the past that MR seems to have problems going through my company's firewall. Specifically, the Google "ad server" often just seems to "hang up" for minutes at a time. At home, it all works perfectly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe what Sparrow is reporting is something different, Harry.
Advert
Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard

Just to clarify, I'm using my home (cable) connection.
I am running Zone Alarm.

It's been fine so far today - now I've reported it, it'll probably never happen again .
Old 08-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Most likely it is network-related. Something between your end and our end (Canada). If it happens again, and if you can provide me the details, I can see whose end it is. If it's us, I'll forward the information to our ISP.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard

Just happened again.
Timed out at 18:05 and let me back on at 18:15 (UK time).

Trace worked:

18 99 ms 98 ms 97 ms www.mobileread.com [67.205.70.12]
Trace complete.

Ping worked:

Ping statistics for 67.205.70.12:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 98ms, Maximum = 101ms, Average = 99ms
Old 08-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

It doesn't make sense. If your ping doesn't show any losses, it shouldn't time out if it is network-related. Since this is an isolated case, we would need more info to solve your problem.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard

Yep, it could just be my set-up.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Is it the only site that causes problems for you?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Is it the only site that causes problems for you?
Yep, so far - could it be cookie related?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Not really... MR doesn't require cookies if you just want to browse it. What exactly happens when it "times out" for you? Have you the tried in another browser simultaneously?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard

It happened again 5 minutes ago.

I've tried switching between IE and Opera, but neither establish a connection for the duration.

But, it looks like I'm the only one getting this issue - so it must be a problem on my side. I may try reinstalling my browsers, see if that cures it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

How about other sites? Can you temporarily disable your firewall when it happens again?