Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
sheppy124
sheppy124 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
Another which advice which one?

Hi,

First post,, Looking for a ebook reader for the wife, it will be mainly for buying newish titles i.e. patterson etc.

Looking at the sony (though not available in europe yet) but having to be locked into sonys format, maybe a deal breaker.

bebook looks interesting, though I believe it can not view mobipocket stuff at the moment.

I am drawn to the cybook.

iliad out of my price range.

Mainly after, something easy to use, clear to read, easy to download books onto. Dont want to have to format anything before hand, page numbers would be nice and if it nows which page you were on after switching off. Speed and refresh rate probably not to much of an issue as you get used to things after use. wifi not important as the wife doesnt have a clue about that sort of thing.

Thanks

Sheppy

any advice?

Last edited by sheppy124; 07-23-2008 at 04:53 AM.
sheppy124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Cybook

No problem remembering where one was reading as it remembers it (opens in the same page next time). Also you can use bookmarks.

One more thing that people never remember to mention, and the others readers do not have: you can turn into bold all the letters of the book - this is outstanding for reading a t night or in poor lightning places!

Good shopping!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
BeBook is just rebranded V3, and it can do Mobi with the recent firmware update.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
cybook rocks! it's easy to use, easy to fill with books (i synch it with the mobipocket reader on my pc, but you can just drag and drop, too).

there are tens of thousands of books to read on it that don't require reformatting, plus all the books at several stores, although reformatting is VERY easy and very fast.

no page numbers, but there's a bar that shows how far you are through the book, and - as DDHarriman says - each book automatically opens directly to the page you were last on. even if you've got 25 books going at once.

tons of new books at booksonboard.com and fictionwise.com plus old favorites and short stories

i love my cybook and have so much fun finding books for it, although i have more fun reading it

i DO recommend the cover - i dropped my cybook the other night and practically had a heart attack. but it fell flat on its back and the cover apparently absorbed the shock because everything works fine (thank goodness!!!)
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
sheppy124

Many thanks for replys, shame about page numbers, on the cybook, yep think I will opt for the cybook for the wife, shame you have to buy a cover separate as well or buy a deluxe pack, which I think is well overpriced. You would they would throw one in. Though its not a deal breaker.

Cheers

Sheppy
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppy124 View Post
Many thanks for replys, shame about page numbers, on the cybook, yep think I will opt for the cybook for the wife, shame you have to buy a cover separate as well or buy a deluxe pack, which I think is well overpriced. You would they would throw one in. Though its not a deal breaker.

Cheers

Sheppy
The 505 has page numbers, and will very soon have relowable PDF and ePub support. So I see these as very good pluses.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
sheppy124

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 505 has page numbers, and will very soon have relowable PDF and ePub support. So I see these as very good pluses.
Like the look of the sony, however its not out in the uk yet? Will get the cybook for the wife, my even get the sony down the road for myself, as it does look like its going to be coming in cheaper when pre-orders start, but have not seen a date yet for them. Dont want to import warranty etc.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Like the look of the sony, however its not out in the uk yet? Will get the cybook for the wife, my even get the sony down the road for myself, as it does look like its going to be coming in cheaper when pre-orders start, but have not seen a date yet for them. Dont want to import warranty etc.
Before you get a Gen3, there have been a lot of issues recently with then locking up, rebooting, etc. The 505 is supposed to be available in the UK at Waterstone's sometime in September. That's not really all that long to wait. Plus, you can even get a really nice lightwedge case for reading in low or no light situations. I'd say give it a go. And all those ePub format eBooks that Waterstone's will sell along with the ePub eBook available at BooksonBoard. Makes the 505 a good choice. Oh yes, reflowable PDF support for the 505 as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
If you haven't purchased your reader yet, it looks like BooksOnBoard is giving away a free Cybook - they have an announcement on their website and details on their RSS feed: http://www.booksonboard.com/rss/bob_rss.xml.

I would do this if I didn't already have one!
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:20 AM   #10
Bigbear
Bigbear began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
All change! - Sony now available in the UK

I see from net news that Waterstone's are to sell the Sony ereader from September. Pre-orders started being taken yesterday.

Good price too at 199.00. I wonder if that comes with a cover?

I am still glad I bought my BeBook though. I could not have waited that long!
Bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i haven't had a problem with my cybook yet, and it seems to me that a lot of the problems that weren't physical were caused by a misformatted or corrupted SD card. i have 200 books in my cybook now without a card, and when it gets closer to full, i'll start rotating books in and out, but it looks like 400 books will work just fine.

btw, if you buy the cybook with cover and charger at booksonboard, you get a coupon for $25 of ebooks, which makes that a good deal imo.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
sheppy124

Thats interesting with waterstones, the only thing that puts me off the sony is past experiances with their mini-disc software, great equipment, but the software for that was awful. As its for the wife, will go with the cybook for her, and will have a look at the sony when its launched in the uk for myself.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Thats interesting with waterstones, the only thing that puts me off the sony is past experiances with their mini-disc software, great equipment, but the software for that was awful. As its for the wife, will go with the cybook for her, and will have a look at the sony when its launched in the uk for myself.
Just keep in mind with two different Readers you will be dealing with different formats, If you had two of the same models you could swap books if you like the same author's

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #14
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Definitely preferable to have the same ebook readers in a household for compatibility. I too would recommend the Sony, which has a very flexible range of formats. Even without converting, it supports rtf, reflowable pdf, and importantly, epub. Conversions are pretty easy too, with the free Calibre software.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
sheppy124

Not to sound like an idiot, but what is epub why all the talk about .
it