Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #31
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
...digital data doesn't degrade with time, whereas your 20-year-old paperback is likely to be falling to pieces after a few reads.
That's what they said about the magnetic tape that is decaying after five and ten years so it is unreadable. Digital data is not permanent. While it is easily moveable to another source, you still have to do that prior to the source failure.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #32
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Some of their reasons:
  • "irritation about "ugly adverts" to matters of art and aesthetics"
  • "The prospect of the bookshelf of the future -- just containing a slim tablet -- is truly depressing"
  • "I can't stand the sloppy, ugly, ignorant way ebooks are often presented"
  • "nice type to enjoy"
  • "I like to scribble all over [books]"
The "reasons" I quoted above have been discussed on MR ad nauseam - including remedies for them.
You should send this as a news to the source of all the whining.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
That's what they said about the magnetic tape that is decaying after five and ten years so it is unreadable. Digital data is not permanent. While it is easily moveable to another source, you still have to do that prior to the source failure.
You're confusing the data with the storage medium. The medium can certainly degrade, but that's where a good backup strategy comes into play. Having worked in the IT industry for 30+ years that's something I'm well aware of the importance of.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #34
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I prefer digital because it's easier to read. I like long books and trying to read a 1000-page paperback without text vanishing into the gutter is a pain. It's just easier in digital.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #35
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Honestly, I'm format agnostic. So long as something is readable I'm happy. There are advantages to paper and advantages to electronic, I'm most likely to get whichever one is available / cheap.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
"whatever I read on my Kindle I couldn't really remember in the long term. It was as if I had never read it''

I can kind of identify, I seem to recall books I read in print for far longer and far easier than ebooks. There have been several times where I honestly wasn't sure if I had read a book already or not. I guess with print seeing the cover every time you pick the book up just ingrains the book in ones memory.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #37
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
"whatever I read on my Kindle I couldn't really remember in the long term. It was as if I had never read it''

I can kind of identify, I seem to recall books I read in print for far longer and far easier than ebooks. There have been several times where I honestly wasn't sure if I had read a book already or not. I guess with print seeing the cover every time you pick the book up just ingrains the book in ones memory.
That, and reading a physical book makes a much stronger sense-memory. There's more little differences to grab onto that differentiates the memory. It's more interactive, etc. Same reason staying in one place for too long makes it harder to remember, probably.

If I'm studying something, I need a physical book or to take a lot of notes. If I want to remember the story, I buy a physical copy of the book and keep that around. If it's just a forgettable piece of entertainment, any format will do.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Not having that problem.
Might be amazon-specific Clouded mind or something like that.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #39
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post

I have this problem with paper books as well. Some is age and some is from reading 150-200 books for around 55 years.

For example I was a big SF/Fantasy fan when I was younger and I still read a lot of fantasy. I cannot remember whether I read the Game of Thrones and I was a big fan of G. R. R. Martin. Many books I remember well, and usually a few pages in I will know if I have read it and a lot of the details, but I cannot remember from Title and cover alone anymore. Been quite a while since I could.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
That, and reading a physical book makes a much stronger sense-memory. There's more little differences to grab onto that differentiates the memory. It's more interactive, etc. Same reason staying in one place for too long makes it harder to remember, probably.

If I'm studying something, I need a physical book or to take a lot of notes. If I want to remember the story, I buy a physical copy of the book and keep that around. If it's just a forgettable piece of entertainment, any format will do.
With a physical book, I can visualize the placement of something I want to look for in the book: say, around the middle of the book, near the bottom of the page. With an e-book, I have no such memory cues.

Now, of course, before someone says I can use a search function with an e-book, sure, that's often extremely helpful. But there are times when I don't remember specific wording to search for, but only the idea of the passage, or when the words I remember are so common that I get way too many search results.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #41
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
With a physical book, I can visualize the placement of something I want to look for in the book: say, around the middle of the book, near the bottom of the page. With an e-book, I have no such memory cues.
Exactly. I also remember if it is on a left or right page for paperbooks. And this cannot be used for ebooks. And position on page does not wok either since that is not stable for ebooks.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #42
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think finding things is generally easier in a paper book as well.

Not that hard for me in an ebook though. Often I use the TOC to get close and page forward, or go to the middle etc. and jump x pages at a time.

The search does work for me in many (most) instances and there is nothing like it in a paper book. Mostly if I really want to find something I know some of the words.

But losing your place and finding it again is faster in a paper book. Luckily it doesn't happen that often with an ebook.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #43
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
And there's always the search function. I just used it to find a particular passage in an ebook with a single phrase.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #44
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I like all forms.
There are advantages to each, though as time passes, some advantages become less important others more so.

I still look for the cheap used paper book (hard or soft cover) for $4.00 or less for that "one time read." That is usually all I do for fiction.

It is also easier to use a paper book for common reference because you can put tabs in it, underline, highlight the text.
I commonly will write inside the front cover the page number of something I want to remember or refer to.
Hardbound takes up more room usually, and I have gotten rid of most of mine except some old text books. Not sure why I keep them. Nostalgia, maybe.

eBooks are useful because they essentially take no room. I prefer to have them in searchable, across volume, form, which means usually pdf.

I do keep a copy in "lit" format if I have it because that is my favorite.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote