Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-09-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
More Freebies!

www.ereader.com is also offering a free ebook each day in July.

This free book should also change daily, and there are some other deals available on the same page. (Click on Super Summer Spectacular banner at the top of the page and then scroll down for the free book.)

Enjoy!

Last edited by sUnShInE; 07-09-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Today's Freebie Book is "The Jungle Book", by Rudyard Kipling. Looks like there are a bunch of other books on discount too, ... quite a few!
derekweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Mea culpa: My firewall software was blocking the banner ad.

I did think it was strange that the other two sites were offering the special....

BobR: Be advised that I changed your link to reflect the direct one.

Good catch. Cheers.

Last edited by sUnShInE; 07-09-2004 at 01:31 PM.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #4
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
Great...except it seems that the freebies are mostly formatted out-of-copyright ebooks (The Jungle Book being published in 1894) that are available at Gutenberg. Would have been better if it has been like Microsoft's promo last year where it mixed public domain books with some recent releases...Still, eReader.com doesn't have Microsoft deep pockets. So, it still is a decent promotion.
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Have to admit, Gadgetguru, that I am curious to see how many Public Domain books vs Recent Releases that eReader WILL release for free for this month. It did allow me to induldge myself on searching the site for some books I know I want copies of. However, given that eReader is so prominent with copyright protections, I'm rather surprised that they don't have the Harry Potter books out yet. *shrug* Or some of the other good ones, like Piers Anthony's staple of books for the "Incarnations of Immortality" series.
Advert
Old 07-11-2004, 10:12 PM   #6
derekweb
Groupie

Well, today is the third day that I've watched. Yesterday was "Around the World In 80 Days", and today's (Sunday's) is "The Wizard Of Oz". Looks like Gadgetguru called it, hit it on the nose for the book offers.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:50 AM   #7
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Yea, it seems that they have also resorted to doubling up on the freebie software at PalmGear (i.e. giving out the same app twice in a week), and even started doling out freeware under the "freebie" promo.

I guess they just didn't have enough developers willing to shell out their product.

I only hope that whoever wins that cruise doesn't get dissed.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:56 AM   #8
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hmmm, ereader.com also apparantly won't let you buy a freebie book on it's own. I just tried to grab the latest (Tom Sawyer) and it won't let me buy it at zero cost as the amount in the shopping cart is zero!

Bah, back to Gutenberg and Blackmask.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #9
xxxiii
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
Hmmm, ereader.com also apparantly won't let you buy a freebie book on it's own. I just tried to grab the latest (Tom Sawyer) and it won't let me buy it at zero cost as the amount in the shopping cart is zero!

Bah, back to Gutenberg and Blackmask.

Craig.
just go to the book description and hit download. You don't need to buy it.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:17 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Craig,
I've heard rumors that some of the discount codes will work even for some number of days after the free day, so if you still have it in your shopping cart, give it another try.

And be careful to not checkout unless you know what's in there. Sometimes it puts the price of the free book back to the original non-zero price!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:27 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks for the tips. I was able to grab the latest one today (a trek/SCE book; I've never read any of these, so it might be interesting).

Bob, I've noticed that problem with the shopping cart on pdm before too. I've very careful these days!

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:35 AM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

For those of you with privacy concerns...

It looks like eReader.com is very careful to guard their DRM, but they are very UNcareful about your privacy. I bought a couple of books from them and they gave me instructions that said to read it, I have to enter my name as it appears on my credit card AND I have to enter my FULL credit card number on the PDA.

That means that the book file itself contains my credit card number. A good way to keep me from sharing it (so it protects their DRM concerns), but it sure makes me an unhappy customer. Not because I wanted to give the books to others, but I am very uncomfortable with them attaching that personal information to the book file. Especially when I was not giving a clear and prominent warning beforehand. I don't believe that's a good way to do business, and I plan to shop elsewhere next time. I'll even stick to Gutenberg books altogether if sellers of ebooks are intent on ruining the process for customers.

And, gee, I'm the target market, so I don't think they want to be alienating customers like me. That can't be good! When I have time I'll write customer service about it and let you know what they have to say.

Note: This was my experience for the purchase I made. I don't know if it applies to all books sold there. (Maybe it's the publisher that causes the problem for eReader and the customer.)

Update: I have contacted eReader, and they have satisfied all my privacy concerns so I'm a contented customer once more. See below for more info.

Last edited by BobR; 07-28-2004 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Updated with good news about eReader
Old 07-22-2004, 06:39 AM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Privacy Policy Appears Violated

Here's a statement they made about policy on their FAQs...
Quote:
I'm concerned about privacy. When I buy a book, how is my personal information used?

We never sell or distribute any personal information about our customers or visitors. We feel very strongly about privacy issues. Your personal information is stored securely and used for purchasing purposes only.
I don't believe they abide by that statement. Not good.
Hope to update this thread with more info later.

Update: I have contacted eReader, and they have satisfied all my privacy concerns so I'm a contented customer once more. See below for more info.

Last edited by BobR; 07-28-2004 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Updated with good news about eReader
Old 07-22-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
derekweb
Groupie

Since you quoted it....

I'm not following you on how you feel disparraged by the use of the Credit Card number within the eBook file vs what their online privacy statement (which you quote) says.

Can you clarify it a bit more? (Seriously, I'm truly curious and I don't understand).
Old 07-22-2004, 01:21 PM   #15
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekweb
Can you clarify it a bit more?
Sure, be glad to. Maybe it seems more of a deviation to me because it was so unexpected. Of course, regardless of their actions fit the privacy statement, I think it's a bad idea to put someone's credit card number in a file without making it clear they are doing it.

The policy indicates that credit card and private info is used for "purchasing purposes only." Sure, one might be able to stretch that to mean "...purchasing requirements with DRM using our own favorite technology that doesn't care one bit about the privacy of your credit card number."

If we interpret that way, couldn't they publish my credit card number and name on a billboard and say that anyone finding a copy of the file purchased by John Doe with CC# 1234 45657 12344 please call 1-800-HelpDRM!

Sure that's extreme, but it's still motivated by purchasing purposes about the same way as their little file modification scheme. The only difference is that it's more flagrant and public.

BTW Derek, I know my response is a bit "enthusiastic", but be assured it's the eReader scheme that I'm arguing, not you! Thanks for the post!

Last edited by BobR; 07-28-2004 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Updated with Good News about eReader