Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
arturox
Enthusiast
arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo
Converting Word-> HTML -> Epub

Have constructed a Wordfile it contains text and graphics, everything is in its place.
Save it out from Word as HTML, then put that through Calibre (Latest version 0.8.59) get it in the Calibre Epub viewer and it's a mess.

Some of the text and graphics are okay, but in other places text is misplaced and displays partly over graphics, and in some places the graphics are misplaced and are displayed partly over another graphic.

I've spent some time now playing with this problem, not only creating the HTML out of Word, but other apps, but the end result is the same.

FWIW. The HTML output file, loaded into various Browsers (Firefox and the other thing) all display correctly.

The messup problem only happens after the Calibre convert.
Any thoughts please?

Thanks
Arturox on behalf of 'Missis' Arturox
arturox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
m4mmon
Enthusiast
m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.m4mmon is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: PB631, PB741, PB840
Do you save as "filtered HTML" from word ?
m4mmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4mmon View Post
Do you save as "filtered HTML" from word ?
Even if you do that, you'd still be best to load the ePub into Sigil and clean up the mess. And yes, there will be a mess because Word is not meant for this sort of thing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
arturox
Enthusiast
arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.

To answer you both in one hit...

I've used both forms of HTML output from Word and it doesn't make much difference.

I have put the errant Epub into Sigil and re-edited, unfortunately when re-saved (out of Sigil) then displayed in the Calibre (And others) Epub reader the mess is still there and in some instances even worse.

I have a small test document I'm using to try and sort the Missis' problem, and even an Open Office document version run through Calibre ends ups in a nasty mess.

I've manually re-constructed the document in various apps, but the end result is always the same, misplaced text and graphics after the Calibre conversion.

I'm going to have a play with some new ideas today, if I can find the time, but in the meanwhile, if anyone would like to have a play with this small test document, post here saying so, and I'll zip it up and put it on one of my sites with a URL posted here.

Thanks for your input, appreciated.
Ax
Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
arturox
Enthusiast

I guess it would be worth looking at this problem from a different angle and asking the experienced users here...

If you were starting from scratch with some text and a couple of graphics, how would you (And in what) construct/re-construct a document that was eventually going to be converted to an Epub file?

Arturo X
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
You could try to keep Calibre's conversion out of your work chain. Just save the document as filtered html and open it in Sigil; then save it as epub. This might get you to a different result. If it is the desired one depends a lot on the way you build you Wordfile.

Make sure you use styles instead of double returns for empty line between paragraphs. The indent of paragraphs should also be done by styles and not by tabs or spaces.

To get a nicely styled epub with a layout more complex than a simple fiction book, you will probably have to work with the html and css directly.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I agree with Sunlite. Since you believe that Calibre is causing your problems, don't use it. Load the HTML into Sigil and save as an epub and see if the results differ from Calibre. Sigil has its own quirks which are well known, but it adds virtually nothing to HTML compared to Word. You could try to work in Sigil directly, if you only want to create electronic documents. But you need to be comfortable with HTML to some degree.

You might check out (using Sigil) how big the graphics are and how complicated the various img statements are. When it doubt, save a copy, dig into it and strip out everything but the actual image itself. You might also check if there are overlapping <div> statements that are putting multiple styles on something that might be relatively simple.

If there is a stylesheet, go in and gut most of the contents and see where that gets you. Try a number of things not intended to produce a perfect copy but to see where your problems are coming from.

There is also a macro available for Open Office/Libre Office which creates EPUBs. Since the macro is free and the ...Offices are free, it might be worth playing with.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
arturox
Enthusiast

Good thought Sunlite, and that is something I've already tried but it also failed with the same faults.
The problem really is the source of the HTML and what appears to be a dodgy HTML output by various WP apps attempting to also do HTML.

A short while ago I took the original text and pictures and constructed the document completely from scratch in SeaMonkey Composer.
Saved out the HTML and processed it through Calibre where the resulting Epub file (All things considered) was as close to the original as I could expect, and no misplaced text or graphics.

I also took that HTML file and put it in Sigil and resaved as Epub where for the most part it displayed correctly.

So it appears, that is the ideal solution, but it does mean a complete re-edit.

Ah well!
Ax
Old 07-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You might try posting a chapter or two of the book, so long as it is not copyrighted, with the original HTML and the resulting epub. It might be easier for those who are very familiar with calibre to suggest how you might avoid the problems you are having using calibre's extensive preference settings. You might post the stylesheet as well, as calibre adds many styles of its own.

If you can find an actual problem with calibre, the author, Kovid, is very responsive.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take the Word document, save it as plain text. Load that into Sigil and then create your CSS and add in all the styling/formatting and see how that goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
3 other possibilities...
Load the Word file into OpenOffice and use the Writer2ePub plugin
Load the Word file into Atlantis Word Processor and export as ePub
Save the file from Word as RTF, then import and convert that in calibre
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
arturox
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take the Word document, save it as plain text. Load that into Sigil and then create your CSS and add in all the styling/formatting and see how that goes.
A couple of problems with that.
1) I can manage plain old HTML, but I know 'nuffink' about CCS and at the moment don't have the where-with-all to learn it.

2) As a comprehensive Editing tool, I find Sigil a problem.

Good thought non-the-less.

Ax
Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
arturox
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
3 other possibilities...
Load the Word file into OpenOffice and use the Writer2ePub plugin
Load the Word file into Atlantis Word Processor and export as ePub
Save the file from Word as RTF, then import and convert that in calibre
Again, an interesting thought, two of which have already been tried.

The Writer2Epub plugin needs a lot more development as the output from it was even worse than the Word method.

RTF doesn't do graphics, and it can also leave the text in a bit of a mess.

I know nothing about Atlantis WP, though I have tried a few other WPs

Ax
Old 07-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
arturox
Enthusiast

Having now downloaded Atlantis and stuck the Word file in it...

1) The graphics in the document do Not display, though it appears from after the export/save as Epub they still are.

2) The Epub created by Atlantis is a total wreck.

Ax
Old 07-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@arturox - why don't you ask your questions on the ePub forum on MobileRead. You are far more likely to find help for what you need - your issues are not specifically related to calibre.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote