Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #46
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
I haven't really saved much. But considering that I can buy ebooks at American prices (both at Amazon Kindle and Books on Board), which means I get a somewhat reduced price than if I bought them at Kobobooks, and the fact that I buy from small publishers (which also tend to be somewhat cheaper as well), I think I'm getting more bang for my buck these days. There's also all the books I get from Project Gutenberg as well.

Also, space. I'm actually packing up a lot of my paper books for future rediscovery and putting them away in storage, because well, ebooks take up just a tiny bit of space on my computer and external hard drives.
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #47
hernep
Enthusiast
hernep began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story, iPad 2
I haven't saved any money. Finnish ebooks still costs the same as paperbooks. Foreign ebooks bought from Amazon have smaller costs, though. I think am spending more money, but...

...eBooks got me reading again. Therefore I think I have gained something invaluable as well. In addition I saved space.
hernep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #48
Misterisaac
Misterisaac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, laptops
figuring the cost of shelving???

Oh, the computations get complicated. Decreased purchase price for many ebooks; more volumes (umm, do we say 'volumes' with ebooks?) acquired and often read without the need for shelving. What's the going rate for shelving these days? Anyone? New cheap ideas for shelving the paper ones?
Misterisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #49
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I haven't saved any money at all. The cost of the ereader, the cost of the ebooks (which are significantly higher than paperbacks), the inability to trade-in or resell ebooks, there hasn't been an aspect of the process that has saved me money.

The benefits: convenience, that's about it.

I can't even reach for secondary "benefits" such as "saved shelfspace" because I keep only a fraction of the books that I read, and the books that I DO keep, are not available in ebook format.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #50
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I've saved a bit of money *and* authors have gotten more money from me--I'm no longer buying used paperbacks. Instead I buy new non-DRM'd ebooks that are in about the same price range.

Impossible to sort out exactly how much money I've saved, because I buy according to my budget and borrow or seek out freebies for other reading material. I can say I've read dozens of formally-published ebooks and literally millions of words of stories that I wouldn't have read without it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #51
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I've saved a bit of money *and* authors have gotten more money from me--I'm no longer buying used paperbacks. Instead I buy new non-DRM'd ebooks that are in about the same price range.

Impossible to sort out exactly how much money I've saved, because I buy according to my budget and borrow or seek out freebies for other reading material. I can say I've read dozens of formally-published ebooks and literally millions of words of stories that I wouldn't have read without it.
Yeah, I like that aspect of it. I was fond of used bookstores but the prices went up on both new and used because the used bookstore near me charges 1/2 the cover price. For special books, I'll get the hardcover from Amazon, which I ofted get used from Amazon Marketplace for a very good price. Anyway, whether the used bookstore or Amazon Marketplace, the author doesn't get money from that sale.

I can't really buy any more physical books. I love books but I share a 1200sqft townhouse with my mother. So the eBooks save space and have more money going to the authors from me. I call that a win-win.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #52
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have saved a ton. I used to get books shipped from Italy - I like reading in my mother-tongue - and that alone was a huge expense. Now I pay Euro 9-10 a book, whereas before it was costing me Euro 25+ with shipping.

But it's not about cost... I get the books fast... that's the main appeal to me.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #53
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
I don't think I have actually saved any money with my ereader as I have purchased many more books than I would have. That being said I have saved shelf space and have read a number of authors I would not have even tried (their books were either free or very very cheap). My ereader has expanded my reading. Love the ereader.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #54
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've saved a small fortune. Perhaps a large one! I have to pay $15-$20 for an English language paperback in the shops here. It costs me $12 in bus and train fare each time I visit the bookstores that even carry English language books. I read at least 3+ books every two weeks, and have had the e-reader for three years. I can't even begin to do the math.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #55
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I am curious has anyone computed how much they have saved by buying an ereader then: followed this formula

take the cost of the ereader/number of months you have had it-amount you have saved on the ebooks = TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) or how much does it cost you to own this device. If your number is negitive it means that you have saved more than the value of the reader itself and I believe that would be called your ROI (Return on Investment). I am far into the negitive numbers.
For me, time is what I've saved. My fire and kindle contain books and documents I need to read or review. By keeping these near me, I have a productive use for time unexpectedly spent waiting. It's amazing how much I've read and learned waiting for something. Even better, I do not feel all bothered when things take longer than expected -- it's just another opportunity to read.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #56
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've saved a small fortune. Perhaps a large one! I have to pay $15-$20 for an English language paperback in the shops here. It costs me $12 in bus and train fare each time I visit the bookstores that even carry English language books. I read at least 3+ books every two weeks, and have had the e-reader for three years. I can't even begin to do the math.

Stitchawl
I remember the savings I made when I lived in Tokyo and Amazon opened up for business. I could buy three or four paperbacks for the price of one hard cover at Maruzen or Kinokuniya. Paperbacks wouldn't even arrive in Japan until sx months later.
eBooks are a Godsend for expatriates.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #57
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I haven't saved that much, more space than money,lol. But I do buy less books, cos I'm always able to find an ebook that costs less for what I'm looking for. Looking at that it has saved me alot over the last three years, I suppose.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #58
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I doubt I have saved anything at all. Rather the opposite...
However, I have read 200+ book in the time (just under 2 years) I have had my eReader. Almost all of them borrowed from libaries. Had I not had my device I would have read maybe 20 books (if that) because of difficulties with font size and portablility.
The money I have "lost" ($400?) is a small price to pay for the pleasure I've had being able to read again!
I was beyond even large print versions for reading in anything but very tiny amounts. My kindle has given me back the gift of reading so to say I have gone crazy buying books is an understatement. Well worth every cent.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #59
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
$12/fortnight for three years = $936
Savings of, say, $10/book at 3 books per fortnight for three years = $2340

Taking into account the crudeness of the estimations, and cost of the ebook reader, round to say that you've saved about $1000/year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #60
BWinmill
Nameless Being

In my case, ereaders have cost me a small fortune. I used to grab books from the library or used, so I wasn't spending very much on books. So I have spent about $600 on hardware over a period of time when I'd spend approximately $250. The ereader also changed my reading habits. Prior to ereaders, I mostly read technical books. With ereaders, I read a lot of fiction. The thing is, a $5 (used) technical book takes a lot longer to read than a $5 ebook novel. So in a burst of enthusiasm over ereaders, I spent nearly $400 in books. So I'd say it cost me 4 times more. But it got me reading more, and different stuff.

Thankfully I switched to an ePub based reader so there's library lending. I've also ditched new ebooks for very old ebooks (i.e. the public domain). So maybe I'll break even by 2018.