Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
deviant
Enthusiast
deviant began at the beginning.

Device: none :(
Reader replacement for up to $200?

Greetings,

with a growing collection of extremely good books I don't read on my laptop I've decided to try this new concept of ereader devices.

I've run into some problems though and would like your advice on what to buy.

The criteria are:

1) That it costs no more than $200 (around $100 preferred).
2) That it is widely available in Europe.
3) That it has a screen that can display scanned PDFs without scrolling horizontally.

Thanks in advance
deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no device, that I'm aware of, which will meet your criterea.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
deviant
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's no device, that I'm aware of, which will meet your criterea.
I figured as such but maybe someone else knows of one (I can keep hoping).

What about those mp4 players with 1.8, 2 or 3 inch screens?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Scanned PDFs and 2-3 inch screens? If you are comfortable with this idea, then it is possible that a (used) Nokia 770 (4.1" 800x480 screen) will fit your needs. It is a great e-book reader for reflowable formats (via FBReader software). I have no idea how its PDF reader will do on your files though. In principle 800 pixels is good enough for many purposes, if you have really good eye sight. The 770 has been replaced by the similar N800 and N810, which are above your price ceiling, but the 770 is very sturdy and should be better than most 2nd hand options.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Scanned PDFs and 2-3 inch screens? If you are comfortable with this idea, then it is possible that a (used) Nokia 770 (4.1" 800x480 screen) will fit your needs. It is a great e-book reader for reflowable formats (via FBReader software). I have no idea how its PDF reader will do on your files though. In principle 800 pixels is good enough for many purposes, if you have really good eye sight. The 770 has been replaced by the similar N800 and N810, which are above your price ceiling, but the 770 is very sturdy and should be better than most 2nd hand options.
The N800 is not above that price point any more.....I've seen them below $200 at several places now. Maybe refurbished....but still a great deal.....I paid $400 for mine.
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
deviant
Enthusiast

Quote:
Now that you've mentioned it, how would viewing such small font affect my eyesight? I have rather well eyesight right now and would rather keep it.

Thank you Astropin, wallcraft and HarryT for your help. If anyone has any other alternatives, keep them coming!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Scanned PDFs and 2-3 inch screens?
Scanned PDFs and 2-3 inch screens and no horizontal scrolling! No such device, unless your eyesight is way better than mine!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
deviant
Enthusiast

Hmm...

Scratch the no horizontal scroll then, I'll settle for something that's convenient to read. Any advice there?