Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
monk127
monk127 doesn't littermonk127 doesn't littermonk127 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
How to revert to previous firmware?

Does anyone know if it's possible to revert to the system before the update a couple of days ago? My Vox shows it's running: CAN.20111117.182539.40022 . Is it possible to go back to the previous build?

Before this update, it would freeze/hang once or twice daily and refuse to connect to wifi upon resuming from sleep. Now it freezes/pretends to not know what wifi is almost everytime I wake it from sleep. A see a few people here with the same problems.

I've just recently bought this as my first e-reader. Do people here have faith in Kobo to repair their horribly broken software/firmware? Or would it be smart to take it back to the store while I still have a chance of being able to do so?

Thanks,
monk127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
It could be possible to go back to the previous firmware, but I *think* if you did a factory reset now, it would check for updates and do both the initial update, plus the latest update.

I think what you are experiencing is not a hardware issue - it's software. Exchanging your Vox will not likely resolve the problem.

I think most people are avoiding these types of problems by:

1. Luck. Depends on what apps you are using; what order you are doing things.
2. Airplane Mode or Turning off/turning on WiFi manually.
3. Turning off their Vox after each use.

I am officially at my 30 day return window - so there's no turning back for me now. I'd say you may have to be patient and work around the software glitches until their firmware is more stable. It may take several weeks, but it may be worth it for us in the end.

Good luck!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
monk127
monk127 doesn't littermonk127 doesn't littermonk127 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I did a couple factory resets using both the menu option and the volume up/power button method that did nothing about the problem. I don't see a way of preventing the Kobo from blindly getting the latest update during its setup.

I think I've solved my problems (at the expense of more battery use) by keeping the wifi radio on constantly. I put "Wi-Fi sleep policy" to "never" and all the freezing/hanging/crashing has stopped.

I'm hoping this is a software/firmware problem that will eventually be fixed and not a hardware problem with the wifi radios in these tablets. :/
monk127 is offline   Reply With Quote