Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #181
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Have you done an epub-epub conversion in Calibre? For some reason the way the structure is on the NC (that's what I have), you need to do an epub-epub conversion and the covers should display fine after that. Try it after you have done everything else in Calibre.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #182
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Have you done an epub-epub conversion in Calibre? For some reason the way the structure is on the NC (that's what I have), you need to do an epub-epub conversion and the covers should display fine after that. Try it after you have done everything else in Calibre.
You can't do epub to epub with B&N ebooks. I was looking to see if there was a way around stripping the drm (for B&N and Kobo books).
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #183
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
You can't do epub to epub with B&N ebooks. I was looking to see if there was a way around stripping the drm (for B&N and Kobo books).
I do it all the time. Are you using Calibre?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #184
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I do it all the time. Are you using Calibre?
Yep. Calibre pop-up box says:

Quote:
This book is DRMed

This book is locked by DRM. To learn more about why you cannot read or convert this book in Calibre, click here.
How are you converting DRMed books without stripping them? That is the whole point of DRM. You can edit metadata, but you can't convert epub to epub. and as soon as I change the metadata the cover doesn't show up. It is so frustrating.

I sent B&N a long email about this. I HATE it.

Last edited by Care; 10-11-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #185
jersysman
Wizard

Every book that I put into Calibre is stripped of DRM. That's why it is easy for me. I don't think you can get the Epub fix to work in Calibre without doing the Epub to Epub conversion. But since you don't strip DRM, I don't believe you could take advantage of this.
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #186
Care
Aes Sedai

I only strip my kindle books so they can go on my nook. I could strip them all, but I don't know if I want to.

Question - so you strip your books and then re-convert them with calibre and get it to work with cover. What about when your nook syncs and it re-downloads your nookbooks? Then you have two books. Is there a way around this besides turning wifi off?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #187
Magnus
Enthusiast
Magnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheeseMagnus can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I only strip my kindle books so they can go on my nook. I could strip them all, but I don't know if I want to.

Question - so you strip your books and then re-convert them with calibre and get it to work with cover. What about when your nook syncs and it re-downloads your nookbooks? Then you have two books. Is there a way around this besides turning wifi off?
You could archive your B&N books, and side-load the books you've converted. You would still see the archived covers though, and AFAIK you would not be able to sync your comments/highlights with the side-loaded books.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #188
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
You could archive your B&N books, and side-load the books you've converted. You would still see the archived covers though, and AFAIK you would not be able to sync your comments/highlights with the side-loaded books.
Yeah I don't like how the covers show up anyway. I think I will just leave them as is. I sent that long email complaining to B&N and part of it was how some of my b&n books don't have the series name in the title so they don't show up together or even if I search the series name. I noticed that they actually changed the title of the book I used as an example so it now shows up with the rest.

Last edited by Care; 10-18-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #189
uieluck
Connoisseur
uieluck began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle, nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I worry that converting them just to get the covers is going to mess up the original formatting for the epub. All of my old eReader format books that I converted to ePub do have the covers, but in the conversion a few weird things happened like an occasional book lost the table of contents.

I'm just going to wait for B&N to fix this so I don't end up screwing up my ePubs.
I had this problem. I created all kinds of edits in Sigil with my epub file. Then I tried to use Cali'bro' to save epub to epub, and then all my css and edits went out the window. So the glichtyness of Cali'bro' and Nook'Fook' continue.
uieluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #190
jersysman
Wizard

There's a new plugin for Calibre called Modify ePub. It is great. For instance, if all you wanted to do was take care of the cover issue that some people are having, you could just modify the cover and not have to do a full epub to epub conversion, which would save your edits.

If you have a problem with a feature in Calibre if you go to that forum and let them know, usually someone will come along and provide a fix for you.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #191
triscele
triscele began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Nook Android Issues with calibre

I have a Nook Color using a Nook2Android sd card to turn it into an Android device. I have tried to use calibre to manage my books. There was an original issue that the directory was pointing to My Documents instead of MyDocuments which I addressed in the preferences file of calibre.

I have no way now to add content from calibre. It doesn't show up in the Nook Android app. I have also now started to create my own InDesign generated ePubs which are also having some issues.

1) I can only get materials onto my Nook sd Card by dragging them in the file system to the sd Card. They don't get there from calibre

2) Likely not related to calibre at all but I have multiple copies showing up of many of the books. I can delete them and eventually, I have them all back again. I'm guessing a preferences file somewhere is populating them

3) No covers show up

4) On the ePub I created, the author name doesn't show up. I added it in InDesign and then added it again in calibre. Doesn't matter, it still doesn't show up.

I'm up for any solution - I've already gotten rid of the Nook app and resinstalled it. I would love to use calibre or not - whatever would work best. I have been placing my materials on the SDCard since that is the point. I'm even up for putting the content on the SD card and booting into the native Nook side if I can still access them there.

I'll appreciate any suggestions or anyone willing to try to help me sort it out for everyone else.

Thanks
triscele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #192
jersysman
Wizard

You should place that post in the Calibre forum on this site. I'm sure you will get help there.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #193
kentullis
kentullis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I just bought a Nook Color for the wife as a Christmas present.

Updated it to the latest OS from BN. Bought her a couple games.

Read about Calibre and used it to load about 20 books to the microSD card. Checked Library and found 6 of them didn't display the covers properly.

Did a Google Search and a bunch of reading about the problem. Tried doing an EPUB to EPUB conversion but, for some reason, Calibre wouldn't do it.

What I did to fix the problem was uninstall those 6 books from the Nook, then use Calibre to convert them to .MOBI. I manually copied the .MOBI files to a work directory, then deleted the books from Calibre.

Shut down then restarted Calibre and loaded the 6 .MOBI files. Had Calibre convert them to EPUB.

Plugged in the Nook and used Calibre to load them on the microSD card.

Now when I go to Library all the covers display properly!

Hope it works for you! Happy Holidays!

Ken
kentullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #194
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentullis View Post
Did a Google Search and a bunch of reading about the problem. Tried doing an EPUB to EPUB conversion but, for some reason, Calibre wouldn't do it.

What I did to fix the problem was uninstall those 6 books from the Nook, then use Calibre to convert them to .MOBI. I manually copied the .MOBI files to a work directory, then deleted the books from Calibre.

Shut down then restarted Calibre and loaded the 6 .MOBI files. Had Calibre convert them to EPUB.
While it sounds like this worked for your cover issue, it quite possibly caused other issues that you aren't even aware of (and might not care about).

If the epub had embedded fonts, those are now gone, because mobi doesn't support them. They would've been stripped as part of the conversion process. If there were right margins, those are now gone as well, because mobi doesn't support those either. There are other formatting issues that mobi has but none of these may matter to you. I just wanted you to be aware that converting to mobi and back may've changed a whole lot more than it fixed.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #195
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I'm going to be reading through this thread because my new NT is having troubles displaying covers for side-loaded ebooks where it wasn't originally.

For the first few weeks, every cover for every side-loaded ebook displayed perfectly. I didn't use Calibre and I didn't do anything to them. I just copied them over using Windows Explorer, they showed up in my library and the covers were there in the library and on the home screen. No problem whatsoever.

Then, all of sudden, a couple of days ago, I noticed that all of the books I had been reading had lost my location and were all starting at the first page/cover again. When I went back out to the main library screen, and later to the home screen, I noticed that there were no covers. I have no idea what happened or what changed but it's very frustrating for everything to be working perfectly one minute, and then it's not, for no apparent reason.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote