Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Unusual or unfamilar word or phrase?

If you're anything like me (well, for starters, may God have mercy on your soul, and how do you mitigate the Carbatrol side effects?), you've read so much that coming across a word or phrase you've never seen before is a rare delight.

So that's the thread, folks. What word or phrase in your recent reading (and let's except this site itself, or we'll all be quoting Cthulu and montsnmags) did you have to look up, or divine the denotation from context?

I'll start:

1. Freudian katzenjammer
2. ...her usual cryptomammary suits...
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
and what are you reading, exactly ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

floccinaucinihilipilification.
no lie. i wrote it down and promised myself i would memorize it.

i've got a few excellent new words (as well as thrillingly brilliant turns of phrases) in the book i'm reading at the moment (l'élégance du hérisson), but they are in french, so i suppose they don't count.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
AHEM!!! I think we should be required to post the definitions too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

oh sorry, was that a bit abstruse ?

floccinaucinihilipilification
"action or habit of estimating as worthless," 1741, a combination of four Latin words (flocci, nauci, nihili, pilifi) all signifying "at a small price" or "for nothing," which were listed together in a rule of the well-known Eton Latin Grammar. The kind of jocular formation that was possible among educated men in Britain in those days. Just so, as in praesenti, the opening words of mnemonic lines on conjugation in Lilley's 16c. Latin grammar, could stand alone as late as 19c. and be understood to mean "rudiments of Latin."

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-08-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
and what are you reading, exactly ?
The Book of Air and Shadows, from which both of my contributions were taken. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, as not only is it relevant to so much here (one of the protagonists is an IP lawyer, another a clerk at a rare book store), but it's very well-written, witty, and well, though I might be revealing too much, the IP lawyer's reactions to and thoughts on women might be taken from my own mind.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
AHEM!!! I think we should be required to post the definitions too.
Oh, I disagree! Where's the fun in that?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

aha ! well now i'm convinced. it looked good when you first mentioned it and if you like it now that you're reading it it's on my list (in a good way).
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Oh, I disagree! Where's the fun in that?
sorry ! should i go back and edit mine out ?
Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

When have I ever been able to exert any control over "my" threads? Look what's happened with my "naming" thread. No, just go ahead and do your thing, and I'll try to keep up, as always.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

see, now you should have been more precise about the rules in your first post. i may have trouble with "authority figures", but i respect my equals.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I keep having to look up 'Syzygy' because it has so many meanings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syzygy

Isn't it a pretty word? I believe that it and 'rhythm' are the longest English words without vowels. And I like z's.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

i'm a fan of the letter "z" as well. must be my slavic ancestry.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Wonderful! Yes, I admit a fondness for Z as well. (Dang, she beat me to it... let it stand, though, let it stand.) Now children, I must be gone for approximately the next 18 hours. Listen to NatCh, he's in charge. Do not feed the squirrels.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-08-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Nor feed the guerillas or the gorrillas (Marc!)

So, planethead --- are you goin through ORD this time???
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hugo and lefty, words