Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
solara
solara began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pro Reader
Suggestions

Okay, just got my 5" EZReader and thought I'd throw out some suggestions and thoughts.

First, loving the reader!

Second, it does not handle LIT files very well as many have reported - so had to use Calibre to convert to ePub format - awesome software.

The search feature is nice but a hassle to use because of limited buttons. I would NOT want a keyboard like the Kindle either, so I suggest that they change the firmware and enable the scroll tab/wheel on the right so that we can scroll through the letters during search, and then push the tab in to select a letter for searching. And hopefully once they add a dictionary, it can have predictive search where it will have common word suggestions like most phones do.

The page turn buttons on the left clearly show the origin being Chinese - the lower button is to turn Forward for Chinese books. But for the U.S., that would be going Back. It's harder to use the Top button for going forward when the reader is in the case and being held by one hand (for non-Chinese books). Would be nice to be able to have it user-definable to go forward or backwards for those buttons. Should be easily done with firmware change.

Minor, but reset button - would be nice if it were on the side/top/bottom instead of the back. Hate having to take it out of the case to reset.

Another minor: the three tabs of the case, the top two work well, but the bottom one doesn't hold very well and allows the reader to slide left and right a little bit. Would work better if it had a left/right tabs for the bottom too, for a total of 4 tabs.

Going to try and compare it to the Sony 5" at the store and see how the page turn speed compares.

Last edited by solara; 01-28-2010 at 06:14 PM.
solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Welcome to Mobleread and the Astak forum. It's a good group here.

What do you think about having a turn to 180 degrees in addition to the 90 degree turn? That would put the page turn buttons on the right side and put the forward button on top at the same time. It does put the number buttons on the top though and makes it look top heavy, or maybe I'm just used to seeing the numbers on the bottom.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have no problem using the left buttons and the top one is the one I would prefer for forward as my thumb fits naturally there. That is you much fold the cover so it is out of the way and then it provides a nice thickness for holding the device.

See this thread for a picture and information. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57367

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
solara

When books are rotated to landscape, the buttons on the left side then become the bottom buttons. And to advance the page, you press the button with the "Up" arrow. Very non-intuitive.

Wonder if they can change the firmware so that when it is in landscape rotated mode, the buttons on the left side, as well as the buttons on the bottom can be switched so that the now "Down" arrow would advance the page. The tab on the right side works fine in either portrait or landscape mode.

Oh, and another bothersome thing: When the eReader puts page numbers along the right side of the page, it superimposes itself over letters sometimes, and those letters then become washed out!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by solara View Post
When books are rotated to landscape, the buttons on the left side then become the bottom buttons. And to advance the page, you press the button with the "Up" arrow. Very non-intuitive.

Wonder if they can change the firmware so that when it is in landscape rotated mode, the buttons on the left side, as well as the buttons on the bottom can be switched so that the now "Down" arrow would advance the page. The tab on the right side works fine in either portrait or landscape mode.

Oh, and another bothersome thing: When the eReader puts page numbers along the right side of the page, it superimposes itself over letters sometimes, and those letters then become washed out!
I use Calibre to reformat the right margin to 13px and base font 15.5 which allows 2 digits in the clear, which minimises the effect while conserving screen space.
On PDF's (both viewers) the landscape down arrow was the page forward (as you would expect). What format is doing this wrong?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Your idea makes sense but

Quote:

Dear Solara:

Yes, I agree that when in the horizontal mode the buttons seem wrong. I do not know how easy this would be to change but can look into it. I agree that your point is a good one.

On the other hand, when I am in horizontal mode I use the scroll wheel to turn pages. I think the response is faster (maybe just my impression) than the buttons.

I just have gotten pretty hooked on that scroll wheel for page turns. AND... when in Horizontal Mode the scroll wheel is better because a slide to the right on the scroll wheel is page forward. Maybe it is only me but that seems to make sense to my (albeit limited) mind!

I already have suggested strongly to the factory that thesroll wheel should be utilized for the search function! You and I think alike on that!!

The warmest of welcomes to you on this forum from Astak and me!!

Last edited by Robertb; 01-29-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #7
solara

So just FYI, since I mentioned it in my initial post - I went to the store and compared the page turn speed of my Astak Pro to the Sony 5".

The Sony has a slightly different method of displaying the letters on the page it seems - when you turn the page, it will display all the text of the page, but at a VERY slightly thinner thickness, and then a split second later, display the full thickness of the letters. I'm not sure if it was because of the particular book, or font, or whatever - since it's a store display model I can't do controlled comparisons.

The Astak will display the full thickness letters in one action. The Astak was a very fine hair faster than the Sony - but for all practical purposes, it's about the same speed (we're talking milliseconds here probably). Basically the Astak will display everything at exactly the same time as the Sony displaying it's initial slightly thinner letters.

Still like the Astak more for it's 3 different ways to turn pages, and it's many open formats, and user-changeable battery, and search function, and SD slot. MP3 player is a bonus but one I'd likely not use too much.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Still like the Astak more for it's 3 different ways to turn pages, and it's many open formats, and user-changeable battery, and search function, and SD slot. MP3 player is a bonus but one I'd likely not use too much.
Solara, glad you are enjoying your new reader and welcome to the Astak club!!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Solara, glad you are enjoying your new reader and welcome to the Astak club!!
Hey, when do our membership cards arrive?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Hey, when do our membership cards arrive?

Dale
Ditto.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Okay, just got my 5" EZReader and thought I'd throw out some suggestions and thoughts.

First, loving the reader!

Second, it does not handle LIT files very well as many have reported - so had to use Calibre to convert to ePub format - awesome software.

The search feature is nice but a hassle to use because of limited buttons. I would NOT want a keyboard like the Kindle either, so I suggest that they change the firmware and enable the scroll tab/wheel on the right so that we can scroll through the letters during search, and then push the tab in to select a letter for searching. And hopefully once they add a dictionary, it can have predictive search where it will have common word suggestions like most phones do.

The page turn buttons on the left clearly show the origin being Chinese - the lower button is to turn Forward for Chinese books. But for the U.S., that would be going Back. It's harder to use the Top button for going forward when the reader is in the case and being held by one hand (for non-Chinese books). Would be nice to be able to have it user-definable to go forward or backwards for those buttons. Should be easily done with firmware change.

Minor, but reset button - would be nice if it were on the side/top/bottom instead of the back. Hate having to take it out of the case to reset.

Another minor: the three tabs of the case, the top two work well, but the bottom one doesn't hold very well and allows the reader to slide left and right a little bit. Would work better if it had a left/right tabs for the bottom too, for a total of 4 tabs.

Going to try and compare it to the Sony 5" at the store and see how the page turn speed compares.

Interesting comments on the reader. Funny, I am left handed so I feel the page turn buttons are very aptly placed (the drudgery of a left-handed minority life )....

The landscape mode is perfect to me. the bottom buttons are easy to push and I can push the buttons and hold the reader easily with one hand.

U can use fb2 to make the screen turn 180 degrees and then You will have your buttons on the right side. However, I agree that the option to flip the screen any four ways for reading in all formats would be optimal.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

The reset button is almost never used. Think of it as a last resort.
Holding the return button for a 10 count or the Power Off button, usully gets you out of the stuck state.
I have used the Reset 2 times , and I have had my PEz since the first week of shipping.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote