Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2007, 04:14 AM   #1
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
Reader on the airplain - is it electronic device or not;)

yesterday I had to do some flying between my place & Brussels. This means 4 planes, 4take-offs & 4 landings. As you know, when the seatbelt sign is on, you should not use any/all electronic devices, but bottom line is that you can not use reader for roughly 30 min during your flight.

So, I tried 8 times to read during seatbelt sign on, out of which 6 times was told to shot down this device of mine, 4 times had an argument about a definition of electronic device & that Reader, and an impact of newspaper & Reader on the airline rules.

What do you do in similar situation ?

Last edited by Arek_W; 07-20-2007 at 04:16 AM.
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Yes, the Reader is an electronic device, by its very nature. Yes the rules are stupid. But when you buy a plane ticket, you agree to abide by all the stupid rules--even those that are added or changed at the last minute. Flight isn't a right; it's a privilege. Unfortunately, so is using an ebook reader.

Frankly, getting shot down once or twice should've been enough for you. If your being obstinate had caused a disruption in my flight, I would've been very upset.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You buy a ticket - you abide by the airline's rules. Doesn't matter if they make sense or not. There's no point in arguing with the cabin crew - they are just doing their job in enforcing the rules; they don't make the rules.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
svolakko
svolakko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I always close the Reader when the stewardess makes her check, and once she sits in her seat I continue reading... I never had any problems with this (somewhat alibistic) approach
svolakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #5
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
FYI, my cousin is a pilot and except for ie. trasmitting devices like mobile phones/radios which can interfere with other devices, all other equipment has to be turned off for a very simple reason of keeping an order on the plane and have full attention of the passengers.

Last edited by Arek_W; 07-20-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Yeah, like that guy that always seems to be snoring in the seat next to me.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
The rules are kind of dumb, but by choosing to fly, you agree to follow them.

That being said, the best way I've heard it explained is that if you can plug it in, it has to be turned off.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
The rules are kind of dumb, but by choosing to fly, you agree to follow them.

That being said, the best way I've heard it explained is that if you can plug it in, it has to be turned off.
The actual rule at AA and SWA is "If it has an 'on/off' control, it has to be 'off'." The airline folks know that electronic goodies are never really "off" unless you take out the batteries. How would the momentary button sense that you wanted to turn on if some circuit wasn't energized?

They mostly want you to put electronics away to keep them from flying around if there is a bump. They are denser than newspapers and paperbacks. This leads to more chance of loose items hurting someone. They give the first class folks plastic cups for the same reason.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek_W View Post
As you know, when the seatbelt sign is on, you should not use any/all electronic devices, but bottom line is that you can not use reader for roughly 30 min during your flight.
I fly most weeks - this week 4 flights ( XRY-MAD MAD-BUD and return ) I normally turn it on when the first "ping" after take off is made by the captain as this indicates to the crew that they, and only they, can get up.

They normally see me reading and have never said anything yet (I have had the reader since last November)

As for landing, I turn it off and use that time to close my eyes and relax as it is the last 30 minute break before battling through the airport and getting somewhere.

Only 2 more flights this month and 10 planned next month :-(

Regards from a sunny Spain, AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It's not the plane I'm worried about getting shot - it's me getting shot!

.....by the crew. I NEVER argue with a crew member on a flight. NEVER!

Let me make a chewing gum analogy: Just don't get caught.

Like someone else said: close the Reader when a member of the crew is coming toward you.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #11
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Fortunately, due to a previously ruptured ear drum, my doctor has given me strict orders to never fly. So I don't have to worry with flight attendants or snoring "seat buddies" that may want to sleep on my shoulder.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In August we are flying from Boston to NYC and my reader will be with me. And I will abide the rules. What I did when I went to Florida recently was to also take *GASP!* a paperback book I was also reading. So for the time I wanted to read and the Sony was unavailable, the paperback did well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:23 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Around campfires at night the old tales of paperbacks

fill the air like the embers that rise into the crystal night. At this time, an Elder will clear his throat and begin one of the Old Stories, how one bright day, paperbacks were everywhere and people travelled in metal appliances with paperbacks near them. People even had them in machines where food was served, if the Legend holds true. Of course, some of this has to be sheer Fabrication, but the eyes of the Young open wide in disbelief at this wild idea. Seeing this, the Elder will cackle with mirth and say, "Well, it's only a Story, young one. Only a story."

But still, in in the crackling fire that shoots up high and the wind that blows like a thousand summers, the call of the Wild Ones echos across the Darkened Land. It is then that I sometimes hear a small voice in my head, a voice like that of a Child: "Paperbacks. Paperbacks as numerous as the stars."

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In August we are flying from Boston to NYC and my reader will be with me. And I will abide the rules. What I did when I went to Florida recently was to also take *GASP!* a paperback book I was also reading. So for the time I wanted to read and the Sony was unavailable, the paperback did well.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-21-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Dr. Dib uses Outlook Express. He's TOP posting. KILL HIM NOW!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:26 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You can top post from the web interface too, JSWolf. You might want to ease up on the coffee, BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Dr. Dib uses Outlook Express. He's TOP posting. KILL HIM NOW!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote