Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Kindle Fire vs Nook Tablet

Good comparison at engadget: Source

Quote:
Both devices rock 1GHz dual-core processors, but the Nook has an edge here, with its 1GB of RAM to the Fire's 512MB -- and certainly the difference is noticeable, even when booting up something as simple as a game like Angry Birds. Things are even more pronounced during video playback. We took Shutter Island for a spin via Netflix streaming on both devices, and it was really like night and day. Motion is far less choppy on the Barnes & Noble device. The HD playback on the Nook also picked up subtle imagery like patterns on ties, which were largely lost on the Fire.
Quote:
Reading prose is fairly similar on both readers: you swipe or touch in a margin to advance, while tapping a page toward the center will bring up a menu where you can adjust things like text size -- though the Nook does offer up a few more options here like adjusting the brightness and sharing passages via social means.
Quote:
When it comes to storage, the Nook's got the Fire beat at 16GB to 8GB. Things are a little tricky here as well, however, since the Nook is currently only offering up 1GB of its built-in storage to non-B&N-purchased content. That said, the Nook has a microSD slot, so there's plenty more where that came from.
Quote:
Price, of course, is a biggie -- the Kindle is $50 cheaper than the Nook.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But give how much better the nook tablet is to the Fire (in the reviews), the extra $50 is worth it. Plus, you can use the nook to do things like VoIP.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But give how much better the nook tablet is to the Fire (in the reviews), the extra $50 is worth it. Plus, you can use the nook to do things like VoIP.
I agree, though it is just a matter of opinion, and everybody will have theirs. Having played with mine, the HD on netflix is superb, I have the NC with CM7 to compare against, and it is truly night and day.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Sounds like a dead heat... unless you happen to have content or Amazon Prime already.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Pixel 4a
If this conveys an accurate impression, the Nook is much better at video:

(Fire on left, Nook on right)
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
i like the overall sleek look of the fire...never did like the weird lower left hand corner of the NC (though i do have one of those rooted so it serves its purpose).
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
If this conveys an accurate impression, the Nook is much better at video:

(Fire on left, Nook on right)
This is pretty much what I see when I compare the NC to the NT. I would say it is even more apparent on documentaries than on movies (I watched "The Universe" on the NT and it was heads and shoulders above what I was getting on the NC).
Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I have NC, now I want NT. Maybe time to short my NC.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Fast Company analysis:

http://www.fastcompany.com/1795503/b...on-kindle-fire
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Sounds like a dead heat... unless you happen to have content or Amazon Prime already.
also, please note from various articles and above that the nook may have more internal memory, but....

Quote:
... just look to what Engadget reported yesterday: The Nook Tablet limits internal storage for non-Barnes & Noble purchased content to 1GB--quite a bizarre cap for a company marketing choice and openness.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-19-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not planning to buy a Fire, or a Nook Tablet, but based on reviews and comments, it looks Nook's tablet operating system is a bit smoother and faster in some aspects.

However, out of the box and without any hack, the Fire gives you access to much more apps and content. More value for your money.

For someone planning to do heavy side downloading , looks Nook Tablet is the way to go. But in my opinion, 50 bucks is not a big difference. And I'm almost sure those few Fire issues will be fixed with oncoming Amazon patches.

I just still prefer eink for reading. Call it Sony, Kindle or Kobo, but is more comfortable for my hands and eyes.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
kennyc

I just stopped by my local Target store to see if they had the Kindle Fire and man! They have a whole aisle dedicated to ebook readers - all the Kindles, all the nooks, and some others as well. Depending on where you live if you have a Target (or Best Buy) near you, you might stop by and take a gander at them all. They are definitely geared up for the holidays!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Here's Good EReader's comparison of the Fire & Nook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ijR_RZDLVg
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
kennyc

Mobiletech/Lisa review of Kindle Fire:

Old 11-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
warrend405
warrend405 began at the beginning.

Device: sony touch
To me the question is fairly simple -- are you a confirmed Amazon customer? If so, you want the Fire, if not the Nook is probably the better choice since the Fire locks you into Amazon. My son bought a Fire (already buys a lot of stuff form Amazon) and my wife has a Nook Color. Both seem about equally happy and do about the same things with their reader.
warrend405 is offline   Reply With Quote