Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #46
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Too true! I was thinking of not letting anybody read it: Pretty sure I couldn't describe people without getting someone's dander up, never mind he said/she said!

Perhaps I'll stick with fiction, or at least fictionalize.
Easiest way to do that is make everyone named Bob. And gender and age appropriate variants thereof.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #47
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
Easiest way to do that is make everyone named Bob. And gender and age appropriate variants thereof.
. . .
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 AM   #48
yahweh
yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Never heard of this. Will have to check it out.
yahweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #49
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just as a matter of curiosity...several of you have mentioned "winning" NaNoWriMo. Can everyone be a winner, and what are the criteria? Is it just that you completed your 50k target?

I am seriously thinking of joining in this year, having been aware of it for several years now.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #50
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Just as a matter of curiosity...several of you have mentioned "winning" NaNoWriMo. Can everyone be a winner, and what are the criteria? Is it just that you completed your 50k target?

I am seriously thinking of joining in this year, having been aware of it for several years now.
Yes! and the best story gets a million times more money then the worst story
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #51
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
winning nano just needs you to succeed at writing at least 50,000 words in the month of November - only 30 days ..... !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #52
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
winning nano just needs you to succeed at writing at least 50,000 words in the month of November - only 30 days ..... !

Which is at once easier and harder than it sounds.

I've found that as long as I don't let myself get too behind initially, and as long as I really like what I'm working on, it's entirely possible to pull it off. A big buffer at the beginning is usually very helpful.

In the end, it boils down to writing 1667 words or so a day the whole month of November.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #53
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Which is at once easier and harder than it sounds.

I've found that as long as I don't let myself get too behind initially, and as long as I really like what I'm working on, it's entirely possible to pull it off. A big buffer at the beginning is usually very helpful.

In the end, it boils down to writing 1667 words or so a day the whole month of November.
It is possible to do it though. I even got off to a late start in 2009 by having a few days at the start where I didn't get much written and I still sailed over the finish line (50k) with two days to spare.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #54
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It is possible to do it though. I even got off to a late start in 2009 by having a few days at the start where I didn't get much written and I still sailed over the finish line (50k) with two days to spare.
I've never gotten a late start myself, but I can empathize. I usually fall behind mid-month. One year a few years ago I ended up doing about 20k words in four days (at the end of November, to cross the finish line), which I don't think I recommend unless the ideas are really flowing.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #55
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Quote:
That's a lot of words for me. I'm usually very happy if I manage 500 per day, but I do tend to edit as I go, which is a bad habit as it means I struggle to finish anything beyond short story length.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #56
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer

Quote:
That's a lot of words for me. I'm usually very happy if I manage 500 per day, but I do tend to edit as I go, which is a bad habit as it means I struggle to finish anything beyond short story length.
That's part of why Nanowrimo is nice....it kind of forces you to turn off your inner editor for a while, just to get things down on paper.

Editing is in March, National Novel Editing Month.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #57
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah yes, well that's one of the tricks to NaNo. You have to tell that nasty little editor to go on vacation and not come back for at least a month.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #58
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ah yes, well that's one of the tricks to NaNo. You have to tell that nasty little editor to go on vacation and not come back for at least a month.
Crich! Give me my braincell back! It's the only one I have left that functions...
Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #59
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Crich! Give me my braincell back! It's the only one I have left that functions...
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #60
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Gosh, I didn't realize people had such varied views on NaNo! I still hope to participate this year.
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote