Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
roadie.forum
roadie.forum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
search function?

Hi all,

I've purchased a Kobo touch online from Chapters, it has been shipped and should arrive in a week. I've also purchased a book so I can start reading on my iphone. Since it's a non-fiction book, I'm need to do word search, and realized there is no search feature in my iphone. I was a bit confused, but hope that it's just the iphone app. Then I was astonished to realize that even the Kobo doesn't have the search feature!!!

I simply can't believe it, it's beyond my imagination that search isn't available.

Anyway, this is a deal breaker for me. Does anybody know, or is there any solid rumor, that "search" will become available in firmware updates shortly?

Also, does anybody know if I can refund an ebook bought form Kobo store? I just bought it last night, so it's still less than 12 hours.

If not, can I read the ebook in a Kindle device?

Thanks.
roadie.forum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I believe the Kobo development folks have said they will add a search function. I'm not sure when, but they are really good at listening to us customers and giving us the features we request and fixing the issues we encounter. But I agree, this is a major issue as a search function within books is a necessity for me as I mostly read non-fiction and am constantly looking things up.
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie.forum View Post
Hi all,

I've purchased a Kobo touch online from Chapters, it has been shipped and should arrive in a week. I've also purchased a book so I can start reading on my iphone. Since it's a non-fiction book, I'm need to do word search, and realized there is no search feature in my iphone. I was a bit confused, but hope that it's just the iphone app. Then I was astonished to realize that even the Kobo doesn't have the search feature!!!

I simply can't believe it, it's beyond my imagination that search isn't available.

Anyway, this is a deal breaker for me. Does anybody know, or is there any solid rumor, that "search" will become available in firmware updates shortly?

Also, does anybody know if I can refund an ebook bought form Kobo store? I just bought it last night, so it's still less than 12 hours.

If not, can I read the ebook in a Kindle device?

Thanks.
If you download the Adobe DRM ePub from your Kobo 'Purchase History', you can read the book on any device or application that can read ePubs with Adobe DRM. Some examples that have within book search are Adobe Digital Editions for the PC, all the recent Sony readers and the Aldiko app for Android.

You could also check out the Stanza for iPhone app to see whether it meets your search requirements.

In order to read your Kobo book on a Kindle, you would have to remove the DRM (Digital Rights Management) and then convert it to the Kindle format using a program such as Calibre.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-13-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Stanza suggestion
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Search would be nice, but what seems mandatory is the ability to actually use the dictionary, since it does not currently work at all with non-Kobo books, which is Really Dull, IMHO.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Search would be nice, but what seems mandatory is the ability to actually use the dictionary, since it does not currently work at all with non-Kobo books, which is Really Dull, IMHO.
Soon to be fixed!
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert