Old 06-02-2007, 04:33 AM   #1
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
PDF is Driving me Crazy !!

I want to convert some HTML files to PDF

Problem is Acrobat Professional makes them 8.5x11

and it will NOT let me "reduce" this to anything else.

HOW do I create a PDF that is NOT 8.5x11 ??

this is insane it should be an edit page size option I can not find ANYTHING anywhere on how to SET the size of the documents acrobat makes ??

This seems like a ridiculously obvious option to be able to set yet I can find nearly NOTHING on it except the "crop" thing and it refuses. says can not be reduced.

Suggestions?

Chris Taylor
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:52 AM   #2
gdxf
Enthusiast
gdxf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
This may be useful for you to set the pdf to sony reader screen size:
http://downloads.oreilly.com/make/PDFsforSONYreader.pdf
gdxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My only real question is why on Earth do you want to use PDF? It's a horrible format for e-Books. That's neither what it was designed for, nor what it's good at.

Why not convert to the Reader's native format of LRF? Far more flexible!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
nerys
Addict

I want to put my credit reports on the reader and I want to retain the formatting and images. Acrobat does this when I import the HTML into any word style editor I loose all the images and colorings.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
You can specify a custom page size within Acrobat and call it what you like for future reference. To do this, select Acobat PDF (from print options), select "Preferences," click "Add" next to "Adobe PDF Page Size," enter the required sizes, call it what you want, and make sure you select that profile when you go to print PDF's for to whatever platform you are trying to convert to.

Have fun!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried the "html2lrf" converter? It does an excellent job of creating LRF files from HTML and will preserve all your images, etc.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #7
nerys
Addict

Err where do I download it from ? I found the thread but the only install is something else libprs500 something about alternative device drivers. I just want the right click convert to lrf thing ?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's a download link at the start of this thread. It's a part of the "libprs500" package, which has a standard Windows installer. Don't worry about all the complicated installation instructions - they are for Linux. For Windows, just download the installer and run it - everything happens automatically.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys
Err where do I download it from ? I found the thread but the only install is something else libprs500 something about alternative device drivers. I just want the right click convert to lrf thing ?
Libprs500 comes with html2lrf which is used to convert from HTML to LRF. But it's not a click and go solution at the moment. It's run from the command line of a Command prompt in Windows. So if you are looking at libprs500 to do a "simple click and go" solution, this is not it. It's like any solution to convert to LRF. You have to do some work to get it to look the way you want.

There is Book Designer that has a GUI and can load in HTML which might be as close to a "click and go" solution as we have at the moment.

Both programs have their good and bad points. I found html2lrf to be easier to use to conver an HTML file from Project Gutenberg that contained lots of images then using Book Designer. But when the book is a straight forward convert, I use Book Designer. It just depends on what the source is as to which tool is best for the job.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The reason I suggested "html2lrf" for this particular task is that it does an excellent job of automatic conversion. BD is (IMHO) much more flexible, but you generally have to "tweak" its conversion to a greater or lesser extent, according to how well it's done at deciding what should be titles, etc.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
The reason I suggested "html2lrf" for this particular task is that it does an excellent job of automatic conversion. BD is (IMHO) much more flexible, but you generally have to "tweak" its conversion to a greater or lesser extent, according to how well it's done at deciding what should be titles, etc.
But you do have to be good with a command prompt and know how to call html2lrf.

"c:\program files\librs500\html2lrf" -t "My Book" -a "The Author" --header Book.html

That is a typical command line for calling html2lrf.

Jon
Old 06-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf

"c:\program files\librs500\html2lrf" -t "My Book" -a "The Author" --header Book.html

Jon
Do you actually need the full path to html2lrf? Just html2lrf should be sufficient.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Here's another tack: Convert the HTML to your favorite Word Processor app first. Then you can alter the page size either in the WP app, or in the Print to PDF properties. If you alter the page size in the WP app, Acrobat can automatically match it during output.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
Do you actually need the full path to html2lrf? Just html2lrf should be sufficient.
Yes, you are correct, it works fine just calling the program without the path info. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2007, 01:34 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf

Jon
I guess us "oldies" who grew up in "DOS" days don't see where the problem lies with that . I guess, though, that for people who've only ever used a GUI it might be a little daunting. I am occasionally surprised at work when some of the younger people I work with find command line tools like "ftp" or "ping" a little "scary" to use.

Just a matter of what you're used to.