Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Cool Pocketbook: No page breaks between chapters.

Oxford eBooks is an eBook devloper and we use a HUGE pile of reader devices to verify that our formatting looks TOP-NOTCH on all readers.

I've got a Pocketbook 360 here for verification tests and find that it does not insert page breaks between chapters on ePUB files.

This is the only reader that I know which fails to do this, which is a great shame.
I've seen some patches to fix this up on this forum, but I really don't think that the general buying public is going to want to trawl through forums to install patches on their device to make their ebooks format properly.

With ePUB being pretty much the TOP format which retailers are selling eBooks.
Is there going to be a fix in the pre-installed firmware for future devices or an official firmware upgrade listed on the Pocketbook website? I'd say this is an absolute MUST-do.

As I say, this is a REAL shame, becuase I absolutely LOVE the reader. It looks great, has some nice features, I love the snap-on snap-off hard cover and of course the potential to devleop applications appeals to me.

I'm in the process of adding some reviews and comparisons of the various readers to our website, but given how much I like the reader I'm going to hold off doignthe Pocketbook review until there's a fix or it'll just kill a great review.

Andy
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
It depends on the used reading application on the PB360: Adobe Reader will render page breaks, FBReader not. FBReader ignores a lot of formatting instructions more or less intentionally. I guess you've opened the book with FBReader. Try Adobe Reader instead. (Select an ebook and press the button for two or three seconds to choose the reading application)
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The bug in question was fixed by an alternate version of the FBReader that has since spawned an ongoing project. Try testing this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865
It is up to version 0.9.0: http://fbreader-pockebook.googlecode...-app-0.9.0.zip
It is the most commonly used reader app for DRM-free content on Pocketbook readers.

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-11-2010 at 08:12 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for both replies.

Holding down the select button on an ePUB title on my device doesn't give me any reader options. Presumably only the FBReader comes as standard.

I've been to http://www.greenreader.co.uk/pages/support and downloaded the update.
There's NO instructions on what to do with the ZIP file, so I figured that I should copy the contents to the root of the device... nothing new happened, even when I switched off and on again.

Earlier, when I went to the global site, I just got a .BIN in the ZIP, which I copied to the BIN folder... nothing happened.

Looks like some instructions on the site are needed.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

...correction: I copied to the SYSTEM folder, not the root.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
Looks like some instructions on the site are needed.
Here can you find all required instructions about the firmware update process.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
pagebreak: The pagebreaks in FBReader are ruled by the software, not the book. Pagebreaks are inserted before every chapter in the TOC (if there's a TOC)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Well, the alternate FBReader APP seems to have fixed the page-break problem.

Now, I'm seeing that text that was centered on all the other readers is left-justified.
Do the settings override the style settings in the XHTML?

I made sure that I included "!important" in the CSS because Stanza on the iPhone tends to ride roughshod over any formatting that supposed to be there.

I REALLY want to do a good review for this device, so I'll mention these fixes in a positive light once I get to the bottom of it!

Andy
Old 05-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Thanks for both replies.

Holding down the select button on an ePUB title on my device doesn't give me any reader options. Presumably only the FBReader comes as standard.
You have to hold down the ok button on the title while in the library. Doing it in the recently read list (on top of the main menu) doesn't work. (I say this from memory, as it's my mother who's using the pocketbook, so correct me if I'm wrong)

Edit: Also, if your ebooks are going to have DRM, I don't think they can be displayed on FBreader anyway.

Last edited by omk3; 05-11-2010 at 08:43 AM.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
You have to hold down the ok button on the title while in the library. Doing it in the recently read list (on top of the main menu) doesn't work. (I say this from memory, as it's my mother who's using the pocketbook, so correct me if I'm wrong)

Edit: Also, if your ebooks are going to have DRM, I don't think they can be displayed on FBreader anyway.
We don't add DRM as standard to our product, that's up to the publisher - though to be honest, I feel DRM is a bit of a waste of time.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Now, I'm seeing that text that was centered on all the other readers is left-justified.
Do the settings override the style settings in the XHTML?

Yes. *That* is why FBreader is the preferred reading app; to present the book the way the user desires.

ADE is for folks that prefer the publisher's presentation or have no choice because of DRM. For your purposes, you probably should be evaluating the adobe reader app instead.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
jules_july
The Green Reader!
jules_july doesn't litterjules_july doesn't litter

Device: The Green Reader Pocketbook
Hi Andy! Thanks for joining!
jules_july is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yes. *That* is why FBreader is the preferred reading app; to present the book the way the user desires.

ADE is for folks that prefer the publisher's presentation or have no choice because of DRM. For your purposes, you probably should be evaluating the adobe reader app instead.
Oh, ok - thanks.

Where do I get the Adobe Reader APP from? It wasn't obvious from any of the GreenReader sites.

I'm curious though as to why the FB reader would override something as basic as centering. Traditionally, things like the indicia are centered. I had a book that had the chapter name nicely centred between some ornate victorian twiddles - but with the formatting overriden it just looks horrible, and even the indicia looks bad. I'm worried that this might look unprofessional to readers who just take the Pocketbook out of the box and start reading without hunting down all kinds of updates.

I've not tried the Pocketbook with any other formats, just ePUB but with that being the predominant format at the moment, I don't see much reason to try anything else - it's what my customers are asking for and I'm not going to be able to add this reader to the list of my verified devices if their books just look nasty.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Adobe Reader should already be on your reader (unless the firmware is very very old?). Have you read what I wrote above about selecting applications? Do not try it from the small list of books on top of the main menu, only from inside the library. Does it still not work from there?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Tried that, doesn't seem to work.
In the Library, I hold down OK and get:

OPEN
INFORMATION
MARK AS READ
ADD TO FAVOURITES
---------------------
FILE >
---------------------
VIEW >
SORT >