Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
mauvais
mauvais began at the beginning.

Device: none
Creating POBI files

Hi all;

I've been asked to turn the back issues of a magazine into electronic format. I've spent the past couple of days turning the Internet over trying to find information on how to create a POBI file, but I am beginning to think it's a proprietary format owned by Amazon. It's clearly more than just a renamed MOBI. Is there information somewhere on how to create the POBI?

Cheers!
mauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Isn't the POBI format the same as KF8?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Same basic format, but not exactly the same file structure. There are additional metadata entries which make the Kindle treat it as a magazine rather than a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
mauvais
mauvais began at the beginning.

Device: none
There have been some posts discussing the format, but I can't find information anywhere on how to actually MAKE it. Apparently Calibre can read it, but can't OUTPUT to that format. And DRM stripping through Calibre doesn't seem to work, either, so I can't figure out how to even open the file and see what's under the hood.
mauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvais View Post
There have been some posts discussing the format, but I can't find information anywhere on how to actually MAKE it. Apparently Calibre can read it, but can't OUTPUT to that format. And DRM stripping through Calibre doesn't seem to work, either, so I can't figure out how to even open the file and see what's under the hood.
On the mobi forum here, look for KindleUnpack. That will extract stuff to HTML that you can figure stuff out from. Also calibre has a debug feature which will save off the HTML in the various stages of conversion if that is useful. Calibre does indeed generate periodical format as part of its 'subscription' feature.

I'm assuming that by POBI, you mean the mobi format used for periodicals (which is not kf8). The Mobipocket website is still up and running and you can go there for descriptions of the tagging for mobi format: www.mobipocket.com/dev/.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Those tags probably still work in KindleGen.

Personally, I hate the magazine format.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvais View Post
And DRM stripping through Calibre doesn't seem to work, either, so I can't figure out how to even open the file and see what's under the hood.
I'm able to de-DRM and import POBI files I get from my Touch by changing the extension to AZW before importing them. They end up as MOBI files in Calibre. I don't know if the bits that make it a POBI survive the import though.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddCosine View Post
I'm able to de-DRM and import POBI files I get from my Touch by changing the extension to AZW before importing them. They end up as MOBI files in Calibre. I don't know if the bits that make it a POBI survive the import though.
They do. The DeDRM process changes very very little, unless it's a Topaz file.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddCosine View Post
unfortunately that didn't work for us, calibre pulled it across from the paperwhite, listed it as a mobi file but when viewed, said that it is DRM'd. tried azw, azw3, mobi...

my husband just realized that amazon only keeps the 7 most recent issues of a periodical and that if an older issue is deleted from a device it's gone forever. he's resigned to the fact that he may have to go back to paper since these are not extremely popular except with other ministers.

I'll skim through AA's website this weekend and see if the issue has been brought up there.

will kindle unpack work if the file stays drm'd? any other thoughts or techniques that have worked?
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got to go off to work but will have my husband pull out one of the k3's, reactivate it and try importing a journal from the k3 not the paperwhite. will let you know in 12-24 hours if this worked or not.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
unfortunately that didn't work for us, calibre pulled it across from the paperwhite, listed it as a mobi file but when viewed, said that it is DRM'd. tried azw, azw3, mobi...
Do you have the DRM removal tools installed?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you have the DRM removal tools installed?
Yep - calibre 0.9.29 & tools v6.0.5. the journals dedrm just fine when loaded on the kindle keyboard and imported into calibre. If the paperwhite is used, according to the debug log, its like the tools don't even "see" them (.pobi files) as files to be dedrm'd. So I'll post the logs at the appropriate website.

Spouse will just have to send all his active magazines to the keyboard so that he can have a drm-free version for the future. We'll just have to count as lost, all the issues that he has on the fire and/or paperwhite that are no longer available for download from manage my kindle.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
https://github.com/danchoi/kindlerb
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie

Turns out the extension change from .pobi to .mobi hadn't taken. Copied files from paperwhite to pc, changed extension then imported from the pc to calibre. Imported as mobi files with no drm and viewable in calibre.