Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As far as I can tell, the Kobo Glo is not linked to one store. You can purchase from any store selling epub.
Also the processor of the Glo is faster than the new Onyx (1Gh vs 800 Mhz for the Onyx)
But of course this is not the only parameter to take into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbosch View Post
I ordered the 6" Onyx Firefy (http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html). Can't wait. I prefer a reader that is not linked to a bookstore, so no Kindle or Kobo for me.

Last edited by Quexos; 10-26-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #17
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Replaced my PRS650 with a Kobo Touch and have recently upgraded to a Kobo Glo. Am loving my Glo and have no plans to return to Sony unless they release something really spectacular.....but given their record in the last couple of years, that is very unlikely to happen. Sadly they seem to have missed several boats in the latest ereader developments.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
As far as I can tell, the Kobo Glo is not linked to one store. You can purchase from any store selling epub.
Also the processor of the Glo is faster than the new Onyx (1Gh vs 800 Mhz for the Onyx)
But of course this is not the only parameter to take into account.
Yes you are correct, I have bought books for my Kobo from different ebook stores. I have only one problem with that......dammit, what password did I use with which store, grrr
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #19
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That can indeed be an annoying issue. But you can go back to those stores whose password you don't remember and request they send it to the email address you provided for the creation of your account there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
Yes you are correct, I have bought books for my Kobo from different ebook stores. I have only one problem with that......dammit, what password did I use with which store, grrr
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #20
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I bought a Kobo Mini today and I am in love.

Compared to the T1:

Slightly whiter screen.

More responsive touch screen with no double page turns so far and no double undos. Of course no page turn button, but I am dealing with that surprisingly well.

Changing fonts, font size and margins seems easier.

Changing line spacing is a wonderful feature which I haven't seen on the T1.

Light and more pleasant to hold.

Collextion (bookshelf) support is pretty good and I am sure it will get better.

Screen is smaller, but page turning is so much faster and less flickery, that I can live with that.

I have been a devoted Sony fan for over 3 years and I still think they were top of the line until last year. Even my T1 was reasonably well behaved for months before returning to the double page turns, multiple page turns, whirring arrows, random crashes, weird backward skipping etc. Even so I was dealing with them, but now I feel like the proverbial person getting hit over the head with a hammer. Feels so good when it stops.

Of course I have only read 111 pages, but I tried two books that were problematic on the T1 just to see and so far smooth as silk.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
How doe the Kobo Mini compare to your PRS-350?

I quite like my 350, but I'm kind of wishing I hadn't bought it and waited for a while and got the Mini instead.....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
How doe the Kobo Mini compare to your PRS-350?

I quite like my 350, but I'm kind of wishing I hadn't bought it and waited for a while and got the Mini instead.....
I have zero complaints with the 350 but I like the Mini better so far. (it was an impulse buy).

It is slightly smaller and lighter. Black flash only every 6th page although the flash never bothered me. Changing fonts and line height ability on the fly is a great feature. Screen does actually seem fingerprint resistant.

Page turns seem faster but I have experienced the occasional 2-3 second freeze followed by a double page turn which never happened on the 350. So it is not perfect.

My roommate, who has a T1 and a 350, looked at it briefly and said it seems easier to read. Not quite sure why, but it does.

I would not regret the 350 though. Reliable, sturdy and with a very good screen, plus I still love the alphabetical index for collections etc.

Helen
Old 11-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Thanks for that, I'll probably just keep my 350 (I have the official cover and it's still such small, neat and fairly light package even in the cover), but I do find the page turns a bit unresponsive, that's my only grumble with it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #24
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
I am a PRS-T2 owner (since a couple of months ago), and I begin to hate sony for selling me this product. And yea, if I am gona buy a e-reader again in future, I will probaly go for things like glo and never look back to sony.

The reason? many, but in short, they are not making serious ereaders.

First of all, I think PRS-T2 is a rather down grade from T1. like ink is not as dark as t1 (I have seen this comparison in an online video somewhere, although I dont own a t1), took away the audio function. On the specification, sony try to give fake numbers to make t2 appear better than t1, like 2 g internal memory, which I found not true after purchase, still 1.3 g, same as t1. And sony also claims t2 can have up 30000 page turns (where in t1 it says 14000) and can be used up to 2 month, where I find if I read t2 for a week without charge, it will be dead (btw it takes just a few hundreds page turns, and ofc, I turnd wifi off), I just find being tricked where sony just upgrade its product by faking up numbers, while physically downgrading the stuff...

Another thing t2 bugs me a lot is that, when I added over 100+ books, its bugness nature begin to arise... It is like, when I add 10 additional books to it since that, only about 5 of them will show up in bookshelf, and the rest 5 will not be reconized. So I have to use calibre everytime when I want to put books to t2, just to make sure it does not miss any book I throw in there(btw, I did try sony's reader management software, but it's just too buggy and crush-friendly to rely on).

About t2's wifi stuff, I just have to ignore its existence. First because of its bugfulness, I just don't want to put books in t2 without using calibre, because the chances are, the books won't be reconized by t2. So, I just have to give up fantasies on downloading from public library, and using drop box. Btw, the net surfing for t2 is REALLY SLOW, I just don't have the patience to use it to access libraries... I have heard glo has a better processor, so I think that would be really nice, actually that will be rather a killing feature for a wifi ereader, because without a good processor, wifi is practially useless in surfing the net... not only useless, but costs money to have one on you reader, and drains battery if you leave it on...

lol it seems that I have complained too much (but I still have more to complain...). Anyways, I do like the t2 with its case, perfect fit, like a real note book,and looks really cool by holding it around, and I think thats all t2 is unique for...

Last edited by ghero; 11-03-2012 at 02:14 AM.
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I have zero complaints with the 350 but I like the Mini better so far. (it was an impulse buy).

It is slightly smaller and lighter. Black flash only every 6th page although the flash never bothered me. Changing fonts and line height ability on the fly is a great feature. Screen does actually seem fingerprint resistant.

Page turns seem faster but I have experienced the occasional 2-3 second freeze followed by a double page turn which never happened on the 350. So it is not perfect.

My roommate, who has a T1 and a 350, looked at it briefly and said it seems easier to read. Not quite sure why, but it does.

I would not regret the 350 though. Reliable, sturdy and with a very good screen, plus I still love the alphabetical index for collections etc.

Helen
I had a friend's Kobo mini for about 2 hours. I didn't have Sony 350 with me, so I can only 'compare' by memory. The colors of the screen are different, mini was more yellow-ish, 350's is milky-grey; fonts on mini 'seem' more black and matted (different color screen gave illusion?) I wouldn't pick one over the other, after 5 min of reading, I forgot their differences.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:24 AM   #26
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
I had a friend's Kobo mini for about 2 hours. I didn't have Sony 350 with me, so I can only 'compare' by memory. The colors of the screen are different, mini was more yellow-ish, 350's is milky-grey; fonts on mini 'seem' more black and matted (different color screen gave illusion?) I wouldn't pick one over the other, after 5 min of reading, I forgot their differences.
I do see a slight yellow caste, now that you mention it. But side by side the screen appears whiter and the characters crisper.
I have adjusted the font to my preference so maybe all in my mind.

And there is virtually no glare on the screen from the light. This for me is a big bonus for reading on a bus where the light coming in the windows changes constantly on a sunny day.

As a long time Sony reader fan(atic) I am pleased that The Sony plugboards and the collection/sorting of series etc. all seem to work and the page numbering is identical.

And as I previously said, it is easier to read and I read faster. Not that I care about reading faster, but the reading experience seems better, although I had no compaints with the Sonys.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #27
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I finally settled on Kindle PaperWhite as my first backlighted reader. My local BestBuy has it, beside some uneven shadow on the bottom part, no blotch (pink or green), I think I got lucky; not to knock Nook Glow, BestBuy guy told me, the hot pin hole were somewhat common, they replaced a few. Also, the font is slightly blur because of extra layer (if it will bother you), the screen is whiter than Nook Glow.

I have a few e-readers, I like them all - different readers make me feel I am reading a different book. I wonder whether Kobo has totally abandoned US market? I am still curious about Kobo Glo.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #28
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I've been using my Kobo Glo now since the day of release and on the whole I'm really pleased with it.

One point worth noting though is the dictionary (English definitions) seems to get stumped far more often than my T1 ever did. And unlike the T1, if you want to find out an unlisted definition you have to come out of the book and search via the browser.

But, it's got a light, and a higher definition screen, so I'm still going to use it in preference of my T1.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote