Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Jbthompson
Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Conflicted about Paperwhite

Hi everyone. Been lurking on here a while, this is a great forum. I have owned a kindle for a year and it was the best thing I've purchased in a long time. My only complaint was not being able to read in the dark. The paperwhite seemed like the perfect solution. I got my PW last week and have been trying it out and am quite conflicted. The screen is mostly blue with the light on, not white. When I am reading on it, I feel like the screen looks really blotchy and uneven. I have read all of the threads here, I am not seeing colors per say but the overall color and blotchiness are causing me concern. Should I try and get a replacement?
Jbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
teraflame
Enthusiast
teraflame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
They'll all have the same problems. May want to check back in here in a few months to see if production values get better. Remember you have 1 year warranty for replacements.
teraflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraflame View Post
They'll all have the same problems. May want to check back in here in a few months to see if production values get better. Remember you have 1 year warranty for replacements.
They do NOT all have problems. My paperwhite is perfectly fine.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Perhaps it's fine for you. But if one is noticing "blotchiness" or uneven lighting they will most likely find this on any replacement. It's only a matter of where and how much.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Perhaps it's fine for you. But if one is noticing "blotchiness" or uneven lighting they will most likely find this on any replacement. It's only a matter of where and how much.
I agree. I've had 6 Paperwhites (3 wifi, 3 3G) and not one is perfect. They all have various degrees of blotchiness, shadows, and tints. It just depends on how perfect you want the device to be and whether you're willing to live with the imperfection.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I agree. I've had 6 Paperwhites (3 wifi, 3 3G) and not one is perfect. They all have various degrees of blotchiness, shadows, and tints. It just depends on how perfect you want the device to be and whether you're willing to live with the imperfection.
My second replacement is on the way all of mine have had coloration problems
pink/green/grey. If this ones not a clean screen its also going back but this time for a refund. If they released a firmware update for the fonts making them
darker or bolder and tweaked the sizes some I could probably live with light coloration, but the coloration decreases the contrast so bad and when trying to increase contrast with the light it just washes out the fonts making them look light grey creating eye strain.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I agree, Skydog.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
If it bothers you, get a replacement. The next probably won't be perfect either but may have other problems that are less objectionable to your eyes.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I suspect that in some cases the problems are more severe. However, I have read more than one post about people who have to look hard in a dark room to find the problem. Personally I have a little light unevenness at some brightness and if I look at the screen in the right light at the right angle I might notice a slight magenta tint. However, if I just use the device and don't look for these issues the reading experience becomes very enjoyable and smooth. I can deal with those rare moments of OCD when it bothers me. :-)
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amen, Brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
My Paperwhite screen is just fine as well.

However, we must admit in this forum there are lots of complaints about bad screens.

If I had received a bad PW, I'd return it for a refund and wait until Jan, 2013, to try again.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Mine is fine as well. They are not all bad. That doesn't mean the OP doesn't have a legitimate claim. It does suggest that the OP should consider a replacement.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I agree. There are some MR members who post pictures of what they perceive as good screens, which others, who have been in a loop of replacements, see as blotchy.
I have not yet read of a single member who has had a rainbow screen and received one with an even non-colorful background.

Jbthomson, you can try to get a replacement either way. The more defective units need to be replaced, the sooner Amazon will have to take action and improve their manufacturing process.

I bet we'll see a lot of refurbished PWs soon. How sad, to think that someone will end up with my faulty units and pay good money for them
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
davidfosterart
davidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
Are all these problems just with the light on? If I have the light at its lowest setting and a reading lamp or daylight will the problems disappear?
davidfosterart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
Jbthompson
Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfosterart View Post
Are all these problems just with the light on? If I have the light at its lowest setting and a reading lamp or daylight will the problems disappear?
Mine is great without the light on. Its just splotchy with the light on, and the fonts arent very clear.
Jbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbthompson View Post
Mine is great without the light on. Its just splotchy with the light on, and the fonts arent very clear.
Mine is like that too.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote