Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Skype on K3

Hi All,

I posted a separate thread on SIP client.

What I found most useful on my son's ipod touch is the Skype client. ipod does not have 3G so is connected to wifi. With a earphone and speaker plugged in, it works great as a telephone device when I am home with wifi coverage.

I think this would be really great to have on the Kindle.

I noticed that there is a Skype 2.2 beta for Linux:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-...omputer/linux/

for several different Linux distributions. The technical requirements are:
Hardware requirements
1 Ghz processor or faster.
256 MB RAM.
100 MB free disk space on your hard drive.
Microphone and speakers or headset.
Internet connection – broadband is best (GPRS is not supported for voice calls).
Video card driver with Xv support.

Software requirements
Qt 4.4.0 • D-Bus 1.0.0
libasound2 1.0.18
PulseAudio 0.9.16 (optional)
BlueZ 4.0.0 (optional)

Technical details
Version 2.2.0.35

I don't know if it is even possible to port this.

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I severely doubt it. Skype is closed source, so you get no chance of adjusting or modifying anything.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
That iPod client would be a better object for hacking then, I think :-) (no, I don't think this is feasible for even a bunch of developers to do that in their spare time). It is fit for the right platform...

The Linux client page doesn't really mentioned it, but last time I looked (warning: older version, some time passed since then) they had only x86 (i686) clients, not even x86_64/amd64 - let alone ARM (ARM6!) which we would have on the Kindle. Not to mention that there isn't enough CPU power (not close to 1 GHz), not enough RAM (well, we would have exactly 256 MB, but it's even more expensive since we do not have Swap).

I don't think this idea is feasible. Probably "easiest" is to port Android (which has Skype clients, I think?). And that's far off from what I would call "easy" at all. Otherwise it's a proprietary protocol, encumbered proprietary software - not what I would call hobbyist developers' beloved plaything. The only chances to see something like Skype on the Kindle I can see is to persuade Skype and Amazon that this would be something they could make money and happy customers.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
jonthedit
Nameless Being

If Skype was open source, maybe. But its not. :/

Even if it was the most you could get would probably be Audio calls or maybe just IM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
James,

I know this doesn't answer your question, but could you tell me what sort of microphone / earphone your son uses when using Skype on his iPod?

I have been looking for some way of making Skype voice calls on an iPod Touch, but of course you need an iPod- (or iPhone-) specific microphone. The ones I've seen are either horribly expensive (almost as much as the Touch itself), or have attracted highly negative reviews about the sound quality.

I'd be grateful for a recommendation if possible.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
James,

I know this doesn't answer your question, but could you tell me what sort of microphone / earphone your son uses when using Skype on his iPod?

I have been looking for some way of making Skype voice calls on an iPod Touch, but of course you need an iPod- (or iPhone-) specific microphone. The ones I've seen are either horribly expensive (almost as much as the Touch itself), or have attracted highly negative reviews about the sound quality.

I'd be grateful for a recommendation if possible.

Mike
You need at least a 2nd generation iPod Touch to make voice calls with Skype. Using the earbuds with the built-in mic will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Hi Mike,

I use my son's ipod 4G to Skype. I don't use the video much, just the voice. If you turn the ipod upside down when you skype, the speaker and mic will align to your ear and mouth.

I use a headset with stereo earphone and mic. it has 3.5mm jack with 3 connections and ground (L/R/mic/ground), which plugs into the ipod jack. Works perfectly for skype calls.

Thanks,
James
Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answers to my question about microphone / earphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You need at least a 2nd generation iPod Touch to make voice calls with Skype. Using the earbuds with the built-in mic will work.
I have a 2nd generation iPod Touch, but I'm not aware that it has a built in microphone. I'm probably being very stupid here, but how can I tell if the microphone is present?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
I use a headset with stereo earphone and mic. it has 3.5mm jack with 3 connections and ground (L/R/mic/ground), which plugs into the ipod jack. Works perfectly for skype calls.
James, can you tell me the make or model that you use? Thanks.

Mike
Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The iPod Touch does not have a built-in microphone. You'll have to get the Apple earbuds that have the microphone. Then you can use Skype to make voice calls.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iPod Touch does not have a built-in microphone. You'll have to get the Apple earbuds that have the microphone. Then you can use Skype to make voice calls.
I do not know what (old) microphone-less model iPod Touch the "The" model is that you are referring to, but the my iPod Touch 4 built-in microphone works just fine for Skype calls. You must be talking about one of those "antique" ones that have no microphone. Speaking in absolutes (i.e. "The") is rarely accurate or correct.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-04-2012 at 11:52 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard

I just checked the specs. The built-in microphone first appeared in the 4th generation Touch. So I'm out of luck in that respect.

I'd still appreciate a recommendation (make and model) for a microphone + earphones that gives acceptable quality at a reasonably modest price.

Mike
Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I just checked the specs. The built-in microphone first appeared in the 4th generation Touch. So I'm out of luck in that respect.

I'd still appreciate a recommendation (make and model) for a microphone + earphones that gives acceptable quality at a reasonably modest price.

Mike
I've been posting that the Apple earbuds with the microphone will do for what you want. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770G/B

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-04-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
jmseight
Zealot

Hi,

I am using a GE headset. Sorry I do not have the model number as I bought it long time ago.

The ipod 4G takes a 3.5mm plug with 3 connections (stereo headphone and mic) and ground - so that is 4 segments. Most stereo headsets are 2 connections (no mic) and ground or 3 segments total - please take a look at one.

There is also a headset for cordless phones, but this is a 2.5mm plug (smaller than a stereo headset plug), and only have two connections - mono and mic. My GE headset/mic comes with the 3.5mm 4-segment plug, and has a connector that converts into a 2.5mm 3-segment plug for coordless phones.

For the ipod 4G, any 4-segment plug headset should work. If I plug in a stereo headset (3.5mm 3-segment), I can get audio but no mic.

Sorry I don't have the exact model number but I think you can try a headset if you have one or cn borrow one.

Thanks,
James
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Mike L
Wizard

JS and James,

Thanks for those recommendations. The Apple model looks like it will serve my needs. It must be quite new, because I don't remember seeing it last time I searched the Apple Store (but that might have been just me being shortsighted).

I'll also take a look at the GE site.

Mike