Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your Sony Reader have a memory expansion card?
Yes, and I use it. 55 61.80%
Yes, and I haven't needed it yet. 11 12.36%
No. 20 22.47%
I just like answering poll questions. 3 3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Poll: Do You Have a Memory Expansion Card in Your Reader?

We've tested expansion cards and talked about them before; but, how many of us really use them.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I have one that I've mentally designated [i]for[i] it, but I haven't really used it, and I don't store it in the Reader.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I have jpeg comic books and music on a 1 GB cause they're HUGE. Otherwise it would use up all the reader's memory uselessly.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
I have a 256 MB card sitting happily inside the Reader right now. It's just a lot more convenient moving files (rtfs, PDFs) via a card reader than through the Connect software. Also leaves the Reader's main memory space for all the BBeB books.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Given the readers awkward navigation system, I just keep a few books on it at a time, so no need for an expansion card.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2007, 02:13 AM   #6
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I have a 512MB card in it, mostly due to the above-mentioned manga & PDF file sizes. Of course I don't read them all at once, but it keeps me from having to connect it to my PC to add content. I also like its convenience for adding new books simply by putting the card into my PC and copying the files directly to it (then I don't have to fiddle with the ugly disCONNECT interface.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:30 AM   #7
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I've already purchased more ebooks from Sony/Baen than will fit in the internal memory of my Sony.

Hopefully the next revision of the device will have more memory.

The Sandisk 1GB card seems to have no impact on battery life.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 AM   #8
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I have a 2GB SD Card in mine. I tend to put all my novels in the main memory and have started to use the SD card purely for large PDF files that I only use every now and then for reference.,
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I used to, but no longer do. There's just no point for what I use the Reader for - RTF books. I have about 50 books on the Reader and am only using about a third of the internal memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #10
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
I had to stop using the SD expansion on mine as the navigation of many books is too cumbersome to be useful. I now just keep a dozen or so books in internal memory, even though I'd like to keep a mini library on the SD card.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
What about Mac users who don't have access to Con.soft.? That SD must be a lifeline.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #12
stxopher
Nameless Being

1 GB right now with several others residing in the carry bag for switching. Reader holding 154 titles: 124 internal memory, the rest PDFs (manga/magazines) on the card.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #13
wrryntx
wrryntx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Like many others, I use the card for file transfer and for music, though in truth the music was an experiment and I hardly ever actually use the Reader as a MP3 player.
wrryntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #14
Cogito
Reader
Cogito began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 500
Using an old 512 card from a digital camera so I don’t have to boot into Windows if loading a .pdf or something from manybooks.net. Still have to connect with Sony software every week or so even if not buying a book from them or the internal clock loses sync and the bookmarks don’t work properly. (spoke w/ Sony tech support which is aware of this issue – amusing to listen to support guy trip all over himself trying not to use the word “problem.” Also amusing and sad that the support guy had never used a Sony reader.)
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
What about Mac users who don't have access to Con.soft.? That SD must be a lifeline.
It doesn't work under Parallels/Bootcamp? I guess that would only be a solution for Intel Macs though.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote