Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
bumponalog
bumponalog began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Using Kindle format on a PB360?

Hello! This is my first post here on MobileRead. I've been around for quite a few months, reading and absorbing all I can. Thanks SO MUCH for all of the info that you guys patiently provide everyone over and over again.

I fear I also am asking a repeat question.

I have decided to 'bite the bullet' and buy a PocketBook 360. It supports a wide range of formats, and is within my price range. Anyway, I remember reading about a way to 'strip' the Kindle format to make it usable on other devices, and would really like to find the thread/info again so that I can take advantage of the free books offered on Amazon.

I have never done any 'formating' or 'coding' or anything like that, but I'm certainly not afraid to try! Thanks in advance for any info you provide...but please, I'm a newb, so try to use small words?

Crystal
bumponalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A good source of info about stripping DRM is Apprentice Alf's Blog. For the Kindle Store, the easiest target is K4PC ebooks. Watch out for TOPAZ ebooks, which are much harder to deal with than the more common AZW.

The 360 can read DRM-free MOBI (from DRM-ridden AZW), or you can convert them to another format (ePub or FB2) using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
bumponalog
bumponalog began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you WallCraft! That's what I was looking for! I knew that there were a few types of Kindle files, and knew that one was harder to deal with. I had been going slowly mad trying to find which was which.

Again, THANKS! And now I slip quietly back to newb land to read some more.....
bumponalog is offline   Reply With Quote