Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Larger e-readers

Are there any updates on the large screen e-readers? Last I heard some devices in the 9.7" and larger range were due out in March and April. However, the iPad seems to be the only one available currently (the Entourage eDGe also, and, of course, Kindle DX, which has been available for almost 2 years now). Where are the others?
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
It rather depends on what your required price/size/function range is.

I'm currently using a 12" HP Touchsmart tablet PC which seems to be a workable compromise for my own usage pattern. It's light enough for me to use as a book reader (although it would be heavier than some users would want) yet its screen is big enough for me to surf the net, read online newspapers, forums etc. No device can be perfect for every situation, because some thing on the 'ideal' list are mutually exclusive, but this is the best all round compromise I've owned to date.

There are now a number of similar tablet style 'laptops' products on sale (with a regular keyboard plus screens that turn and fold back to create a touch screen tablet). Off the top of my head, Asus make a small and pretty cheap version (T91MT) , but HP, Lenovo and Fujitsu also have offerings going up the cost scale.

Many good looking devices seem to be still in the "when it's ready" queue though. I recently came across some independent reviews and manufacturers specs for one large screen, and got quite enthusiastic until I saw that it was supposed to have come out two years ago....
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle DX and Ipad
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
There was talk of a 9" Asus DR 900 being released around now but I've heard no more about it. Was it vapour ware?
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
There was talk of a 9" Asus DR 900 being released around now but I've heard no more about it. Was it vapour ware?
Asus 900 have SiPix screens.
At CeBIT 2010 they told July-September. Now there's this infamous SiPix screen issue delay... who knows?
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is of course the iRex DR1000S, which has a 10" screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
That's a good one. Compared with KDX here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48810
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Personally I would only buy one if it is not going to be portable as the bigger the screen, the easier it is too break.

I would wait for the first of the plastic substrate screens to come out, hmm Plastic Logic ?

PVI (E-Ink) have recently demoed some large plastic screen devices but estimate that they may not be in the hands of customers till Q1 next year.

I would like a wifi based A4 sized reader combined with touch and stylus
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Are you asking about strictly epaper screens? If so I think the next big screen device will be the Plastic Logic Que coming out this summer with a 8.5 x 11 in. screen. If you don't care about epaper screen then the Lenovo IdeaPad U1 hybrid notebook with 11.6 in. screen (coming out in June) looks promising.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Skiff was the one that showed the most promise to me back at CES, but then they just vanished. Haven't heard word one about it since. With tablet devices starting to show ip that have much more capabilities than these eInk devices, several hundred dollars for one would be a hard sell for all but the most die-hard eInk fanatics out there, so I'm not sure how well devices like the Skiff and Que would do in the marketplace. Que has been very quiet, but at least there is some info on planned sales through Sprint. I'm starting to think Skiff is just vaporware.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
Are you asking about strictly epaper screens? If so I think the next big screen device will be the Plastic Logic Que coming out this summer with a 8.5 x 11 in. screen.
I'm afraid you're mistaken. The size of the Que itself is 11"x8.5"; its screen is 8.5"x6.4" (217x163mm) - ie, a 10.5" diagonal, or pretty much the same size screen as the iRex DR1000S.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 AM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Well Skiff is going to be a "Platform" not just a device. At the end of March they announced a partnership with Samsung saying that all Samsung mobile devices- phones/readers/etc- would carry the Skiff platform.

Their big reader wont come until maybe 3rd or last quarter if production ramps up on that display by LG. LG said it would start mass production of the 11.5 inch foil backed display in the first half of this year.

It will probably retail through Sprint stores since Sprint will be providing the 3g

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 04-28-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote