Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Trial by Franz Kafka 15 20.27%
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky 8 10.81%
Persuasion by Jane Austen 4 5.41%
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 8 10.81%
The Picture (or Portrait) of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 12 16.22%
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne 11 14.86%
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edward Abbott 6 8.11%
Orlando by Virginia Woolf 6 8.11%
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo 4 5.41%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #31
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Part of what I said is debatable, but it is not debatable that the method in use makes it highly likely that the winner is going to be a book most people did NOT vote for. This means that fewer people are likely to participate in the actual reading.

Kafka is my all-time favorite author, or in the top few, and I'm always happy to read The Trial again, but I would have been happier with The Castle or Amerika. Everything Kafka wrote is fantastic.

I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I'm just stating my opinion. Do what you like, have fun.

Last edited by geneven; 10-25-2009 at 09:04 PM.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Part of what I said is debatable, but it is not debatable that the method in use makes it highly likely that the winner is going to be a book most people did NOT vote for. This means that fewer people are likely to participate in the actual reading.
Yes, it's quite possible with this many books nominated. However, I guarantee you the book with the most votes will win.

The idea is that you read the book that gets the most votes... to expand your horizons. If you just want to read any other book of course there is nothing keeping you from that.

Quote:
I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I'm just stating my opinion. Do what you like, have fun.
No worries. Your opinion is certainly welcome.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #33
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I hear what you're saying and can only speak for myself, but so far the books I vote for don't seem to win, but I still read the winner. For me part of the 'fun' is possibly reading something I might not otherwise read.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #34
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For me part of the 'fun' is possibly reading something I might not otherwise read.
Yes, that's the big attraction for me too.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #35
Phydeaux
Phydeaux began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Kafka is my all-time favorite author, or in the top few, and I'm always happy to read The Trial again, but I would have been happier with The Castle or Amerika. Everything Kafka wrote is fantastic.
As an aside from someone who just found mobileread this week, it sounds like the nominating process might be at fault, not the voting process. Perhaps a short period of open comments on potential noms, before they go to a vote, would satisfy?

For example, had I been leaning towards nominating The Trial (perhaps because it is the only Kafka I vaguely remember from high school) then the comment above would have easily swayed me towards nominating The Castle instead.
Phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
As an aside from someone who just found mobileread this week, it sounds like the nominating process might be at fault, not the voting process. Perhaps a short period of open comments on potential noms, before they go to a vote, would satisfy?
Isn't that really what the nomination thread is for. To discuss the nominations and why each book must get three nominations to be added to the vote?

BOb
Old 10-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #37
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Hey.. Whatever wins, I'll probably join along. It will probably be slow going for me as I tend to have multiple books going at the same time. Currently actively reading 4 books on my Kindle right now, with "Truman" getting the most time.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Hey.. Whatever wins, I'll probably join along. It will probably be slow going for me as I tend to have multiple books going at the same time. Currently actively reading 4 books on my Kindle right now, with "Truman" getting the most time.
Truman as in Turman Capote or Harry S. ??

A biography?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #39
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Truman as in Turman Capote or Harry S. ??

A biography?
Biography.. Harry S. "Truman" by David McCullough

I'm more and more impressed with Truman the more I read.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #40
jgaiser
Omnivorous

And did you know that Truman's middle name is just S. ?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
No I did not know that.

Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #42
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
AnemicOak: Thanks for the "sticker"! Had my nose stuck in a book for a few days. Besides having to go to work So, that's what took me so long to notice!

I don't mind the voting process. Joining in the Book Club reminds me of books I read long ago and may want to read again. It also introduces me to new ones. I selected a new one (to me anyway) as it sounded interesting to me. My selection was not based on what others were voting for. Reminds me of elementary school. We had to nominate someone for something (can't remember what), same type of process as this. Then everyone voted. There was no, uh, process of elimination, I guess you would call it.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #43
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
So what is The Place to download The Trial in mobi?

Edit: Feedbooks has it free here for all formats.

Since I paid $1 for an Agatha Christie book at Amazon, I always look at Feedbooks when the prices are low at Amazon. You all probably knew better already.

I guess it's time to wrap up Verdant Skies so I can get to this one...

Edit2: Did you guys know this book was unfinished by Kafka? Darn. Just like Mozart's Requiem, it may be a great work, but it is unfortunate to have to wonder which parts are original and which parts aren't.

Last edited by JeremyZ; 10-31-2009 at 08:57 AM.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

We have a Winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
So what is The Place to download The Trial in mobi?
It is in our own library uploaded by Patricia in Mobi format

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=Trial

so I am sure it is brilliantly formatted.

BOB
Old 10-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #45
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Not my first choice, but hey, what the hell.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote