Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #91
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Do you mean Foreign English?
P'bly something like... or globish?
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #92
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Neko, please don't misunderstand. I don't think either option would do harm and I would support either of them. I simply cringe at some of the attitudes that have been expressed. I'll leave it at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I have to second these sentiments. I didn't have a problem at all with Jon's original request or reasoning. But subsequent posts, by others, were very disheartening at best, and I'll likewise leave it at that.

As for myself I have definitely decided to cut back a great deal on all my public posting on the forum. And that is for a number of reasons and attitudes. So my vote is, I don't care, do what you want.

-MJ
I am sorry that you both feel that way. As a contributor to the previous thread, I very much appreciated the discussion. It gave me a chance to express some thoughts that I'd had for quite awhile. The problem with reading responses rather than hearing them is that we miss the emotions that are expressed in voices and the written words can be interpreted in different ways depending on the reader. There were strong opinions presented, but I don't feel that anyone truly meant anything negatively.

I think both forums can happily coexist. There are times when you feel like you need to discuss a topic in a serious way and other times when you feel like kicking back and having a little fun. Having two forums gives people that choice and both choices are equally important!

As the saying goes, "Sometimes you feel like a nut, some times you don't!"
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #93
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've noted that most everyone who has posted to this thread has indeed voted. The few who have not have stated their reasons for not doing so.

I see this Poll Thread as now serving three purposes, the most important being a place to vote for one's choice, if one wishes. As noted:

1) A Place to Vote
2) Expressions on choice and why (or why not)
3) Naming

While various names are now being pitched, the voting is NOT over and that whatever choice one chooses your vote certainly does count.

Naming:

Cafe Talk
Plain Talk
Cafe Discussion
Thematically Speaking
Topic Discussion

A number of people have mentioned other names. The above suggestions are merely mine and nothing more. Your suggestions may be more creative or correct.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a name I think would do well for US and UK users alike...

The Conservatory
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #95
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

The Conservatory
I like Conservatory.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #96
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
What about the rest of us?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #97
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I like Conservatory.
I suggested that in post 46 - not that anyone was listening ('cept KazBates), hmmph .

My other suggestion was The Asylum.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What about the rest of us?
For the non-US and non-UK users, I have another good idea...

The Conservatory
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #99
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
For the non-US and non-UK users, I have another good idea...

The Conservatory
Thank you
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #100
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:

The Conservatory
Because people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #101
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I like Conservatory too.

Professor Plum did it with the candelabra in the conservatory. Yeah, I like that.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I like Conservatory too.

Professor Plum did it with the candelabra in the conservatory. Yeah, I like that.
I came upon the name because last night, we were talking about my mother-in-law's conservatory in her house. The UK meaning fits very well as does the US meaning. And then there the Clue reference as well that also works.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #103
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I suggested that in post 46 - not that anyone was listening ('cept KazBates), hmmph .

I liked your suggestion of "The Conservatory" although it does give me flashbacks to the game, CLUE.

The only thing I worry is that it gives the impression that only conservative topics can be discussed there. I would hope the new forum would except many kinds of topics, just not with the added silliness that runs rampant in the Lounge.

Additionally, it is my hope that tangential thinking will also be allowed on any given topic as long as it does not digress to the afore mentioned silliness. Going "Off Topic" at times helps to keep the flow of ideas and information fluid.

(As a side note, I am NOT against silliness! Truth be told, it affects much of my daily life and I do enjoy reading the banter in the Lounge!!)

Kaz
Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #104
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
If we must go this way, I'd try to keep the labels unambiguous.

Serious forum: just call it "Off Topic".

Silly forum: call it something like "Rumpus room".
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #105
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I like Conservatory too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Having recently played a number of games of CLUE with my kids, this begs the question, "Professor Plum in the Conservatory with the Wrench?" Sorry, I think I'm having flashbacks.

Kaz
Don't feel bad Sparrow! They weren't listening to my reply to your post, either!

Kaz