Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2024, 03:55 PM   #1
Lunar Ronin
Lunar Ronin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Question Alternative to Nook Glowlight Plus 4

I wanted to support an American company that isn't Amazon by buying the Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, but it's pretty clear that Barnes & Noble no longer really cares about the Nook. No dark mode available in the reader, no Windows program any longer so books can no longer be backed up, and a firmware update a couple of months ago has made sideloading on the device very difficult.

So, I'm now looking for an alternative with the following qualities:
  • Not an Amazon Kindle
  • Seven to eight inches
  • Has dark mode as an option
  • Can easily sideload ebooks
  • Preferably has a flush screen, but this one isn't a deal breaker

Any suggestions?
Lunar Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 04:08 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Kobo Libra 2 is 7" with an indented screen. The Kobo Sage is 8" with a flush screen. Both meet your other criteria, and both work well with Calibre if you like to manage your sideloaded books that way.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2024, 04:23 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Kobo Libra 2 is 7" with an indented screen. The Kobo Sage is 8" with a flush screen. Both meet your other criteria, and both work well with Calibre if you like to manage your sideloaded books that way.
I would forget the Sage. The battery is lousy. The Libra 2 is the one I went with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 05:31 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would forget the Sage. The battery is lousy. The Libra 2 is the one I went with.
The Sage isn't that bad. I have a Libra 2 and a Sage and only read on the Sage. However if the 7″ screen is enough then the Libra 2 is good.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 10:48 AM   #5
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I have the Sage. The battery lasts far longer than the available reading time in any reading session. It is terrible compared to the Kindle Scribe but so is everything else. After being spoiled by the size of the Scribe screen and how much less I have to be bothered by page turning I was unwilling to go smaller than the Sage. I am very satisfied with it and now I have buttons again!!!

Last edited by LDB; 01-19-2024 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2024, 05:20 PM   #6
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oh, I get it. Good on you for looking to support American companies!
For an alternative, I'd suggest checking out onyxbooxusa.com. It ticks most of your boxes: it's not a Kindle, has a 7-inch screen, offers a dark mode, and sideloading ebooks is straightforward. Plus, it boasts a flush screen design, which is a nice touch. The Onyx Boox series is known for its versatility and Android-based system, which means you can use a variety of reading apps and formats. Hope this helps!
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 05:59 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
For an alternative, I'd suggest checking out onyxbooxusa.com.
Oh no! There are the Russian models that do not receive any updates.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:40 AM   #8
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Oh no! There are the Russian models that do not receive any updates.
Mine seems to be Chinese. IDK where you got that info about it being Russian TBH. Been using this model for around 3 months now. Seems fine, and fits my needs.
There were some issues with updates, but I've contacted customer support and the issue was solved in no time.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:48 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
IDK where you got that info about it being Russian TBH.
They carry the Russian product range
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:34 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
For Onyx (Boox), just go to the mother lode: https://shop.boox.com/
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote