Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
AMBene
AMBene has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Evo, Sony 505; Kindle 3
Sony named best E-reader by Amazon, LOL

I thought this was quite funny! I was searching e readers 2009 just looking for anything that might be upcoming and this was one of the headers. An adverstisement for the Sony 700 on Amazaon touting it as the Best E-reader System Available. I know sic since of humor, but found it hilariously ironic.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Sony PRS-700BC
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HHZ1S Portable Reader for Digital Books Best E-Reader System Available
AMBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
AMBene
AMBene has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Evo, Sony 505; Kindle 3
It was a header under sponsored links, still LOL!!!!!!!!!!
AMBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i guess amazon didn't think it was nearly so funny, your link doesn't work for me now.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
What is interesting is the Reader and the Kindle have the same number of stars.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i guess amazon didn't think it was nearly so funny, your link doesn't work for me now.
Now that's funny! Or is it possibly sad?

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Did the Sony reader have hundreds of people who didn't own it giving it a one-star review because they don't like DRM or don't get what e-ink is about? The Kindle did. The fact that it has 4 stars now means that the people who actually own them are usually very happy with them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Did the Sony reader have hundreds of people who didn't own it giving it a one-star review because they don't like DRM or don't get what e-ink is about? The Kindle did. The fact that it has 4 stars now means that the people who actually own them are usually very happy with them.
I was under the impression you couldn't review an Amazon product unless you purchased it from them.

EDIT:

Wow I guess that's changed. I followed the link to write a review and it let me! I didn't actually write a review though.

I remember a while back trying to do this and it complained that I couldn't review it unless I had purchased it through them. I guess that has changed.

Last edited by astrodad; 12-17-2008 at 03:28 PM.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The number of stars are based upon the number of ratings as posted by users. What is interesting is that the 505 has either 4 stars based on 89 reviews (if it is blue) or 3 and a half stars if it is silver (based on 119 reviews).

The Kindle has four stars based on (at this writing) 7,138 reviews. This is not that surprising considering that the Kindle is sold exclusively through Amazon, but it does tend to make the rating of the Kindle a little more impressive than that of the Sony.

As for the ads on Amazon, the content of the ads are created by the vendor, not by Amazon. So, it really isn't that strange to see an ad like that on Amazon. It doesn't shock me at all that Sony thinks the reader is the best. I would, of course, disagree with their opinion, but that's because I prefer the Kindle.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I was under the impression you couldn't review an Amazon product unless you purchased it from them.

EDIT:

Wow I guess that's changed. I followed the link to write a review and it let me! I didn't actually write a review though.

I remember a while back trying to do this and it complained that I couldn't review it unless I had purchased it through them. I guess that has changed.
Yep. If you look at the early reviews on the Kindle it's really shocking how much of it was just flaming from people who had never bought one. It had hundreds of reviews before anyone had even received their orders. There were tech blogs telling people to go over and give it a bad review because of DRM. You'll notice a lot of books are tagged "defectivebydesign". That's part of their whole anti-Kindle campaign.

Sony never attracted that attention even though they had their own book store selling DRM-ed books. Now they support e-pub but that's a recent step.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #10
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Maybe I should go onto Microsoft's Zune website and see if they have rated the Ipod as the best mp3 player available on the market
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Maybe I should go onto Microsoft's Zune website and see if they have rated the Ipod as the best mp3 player available on the market
I would think in this case it would be the other way around.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote