Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #106
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
That's correct. When installing the newer versions of Sony software they gave you the option to auto-create an Adobe account at the same time with the same user id and password for both Sony & Adobe accounts. The intent was to simplify the process that you would only need one account & software program to authorize your ereader, shop, download books and transfer them. You didn't need to really understand about Adobe Digital Edition software and DRM.

Sony would have no way of knowing who used this method and who kept separate unique accounts. Therefore as a precautionary measure they are just making everyone reset.
I had no idea this had happened. I think earlier in this thread I had advised that the Adobe ID and the Sony account were separate entities. (Post #49). My apologies, Vala, apparently that is not always the case. For me it was, but I first installed Sony software and set up my accounts 3 years ago, and back then they were separate. I do remember that during the setup of my Sony software, I had to set up an Adobe account as a separate operation.
I was surprised to get an email from Sony advising me that because of the Adobe breach, Sony had reset my password and I wondered why.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #107
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I think for expediancies sake know that at one time people could have the same ID, they simply reset everyone's and sent out emails.

I think most people would have them be both just so it makes everything simpler. Mine was and still is the same for both places even though I had to change them, but neither have any cc info so nothing will be harmed.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #108
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I just got my notice from Adobe yesterday. Just the latest of many forced password changes from hacks.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #109
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Got a Yahoo email this morning saying 'recently detected some unusual activity' on my account so they locked it pending me to log onto their site and change the password.

Yep - it was the Adobe email account ... so it may mean it's connected to the Adobe hack .... or it may not
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #110
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yahoo mail gets hacked A LOT.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #111
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ApK I can't recall having received this notice from Yahoo before - ever ....
Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #112
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yahoo mail gets hacked A LOT.
Yup. Mine did a few months ago. I only used that address to sign up to message boards, but I did have my contacts list there. I found out there was a problem right away when our main e-mail account received a spam message from my yahoo account, which I knew I hadn't sent. I regained control of the account within minutes, changed the password, changed the security questions, deleted all contacts, and changed my message board address to another free web based account (not yahoo). I notified Yahoo as well, and I ended up shutting down the account not long afterward. Yahoo accounts had been getting hacked a lot during that time.

Lynx-lynx, I wish Yahoo had notified me of the unusual activity. I've never been to Viet Nam. The activity was flagged on their website as being unusual, but my notification consisted of me being spammed by my own email account.

Last edited by 49Kat; 10-14-2013 at 11:23 PM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #113
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

49Cat, yes, that's what I see a lot of: spam from people with Yahoo accounts, and based on the addresses in the 'to' field we can tell it was a contact list compromise.

Here's an article on some of the Yahoo incidents:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericbasu...-yahoo-attack/

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 10-15-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #114
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks for providing the link ApK - luckily I've never received the spam stuff nor had my account pilfered before (AFAIK)
Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #115
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Yup. Mine did a few months ago. I only used that address to sign up to message boards, but I did have my contacts list there. I found out there was a problem right away when our main e-mail account received a spam message from my yahoo account, which I knew I hadn't sent. I regained control of the account within minutes, changed the password, changed the security questions, deleted all contacts, and changed my message board address to another free web based account (not yahoo). I notified Yahoo as well, and I ended up shutting down the account not long afterward. Yahoo accounts had been getting hacked a lot during that time.

Lynx-lynx, I wish Yahoo had notified me of the unusual activity. I've never been to Viet Nam. The activity was flagged on their website as being unusual, but my notification consisted of me being spammed by my own email account.
Yeah, it's odd for me because I haven't received any 'different' emails than the norm at all ... so I'm not sure what was 'unusual' about my account.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #116
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Thanks for providing the link ApK - luckily I've never received the spam stuff nor had my account pilfered before (AFAIK)
Obviously not EVERY single Yahoo account is compromised, but FYI, it's not usually the account holder who gets the spam, it's everyone on the account holder's contact list. The account holder may not know unless someone tells them.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #117
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just read an article about the NSA collecting email contact lists that had an interesting blurb about yahoo email. It's a political story so I won't give the link here, but here's the blurb:

It is unclear why the NSA collects more than twice as many address books from Yahoo as the other big services combined. One possibility is that Yahoo, unlike other service providers, has left connections to its users unencrypted by default.

My yahoo accounts have been hacked a few times, and if they are unencrypted that would explain it.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #118
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Okay, so I got the message to change my password almost two weeks ago. I ignored it for several days, but within a week I did go and change my password.

So now over a week after that, I got a second notice saying that I need to change my password again. So did they get hacked again? Why would I have to change my password for a second time after I did it a week ago at their prompting?

This is fishy or just really poor customer service and record keeping?
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #119
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I just got a letter in the mail about the incident and they gave me a website to signup to monitor my credit report.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #120
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I just got a letter in the mail about the incident and they gave me a website to signup to monitor my credit report.
I got that letter last week too. The reviews of the website (mycreditid--or something like that, I'm going from memory here) are not particularly good. A lot of complaints about deceptive practice, upselling, etc.

But I signed up for the free year that Adobe paid for. Just not going to click on any buttons on the mycreditid website!
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote