Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #136
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
People don't want to pay $600 for a product to edit their pictures? That's ridiculous! Perhaps they ought to have two price points, one for corporations and one for individuals.
They do. But like I said, people refuse to use it because the Pro product is better. The problem is, bringing in those features to the consumer version, is just going to make it a non-consumer product.

Photoshop isn't just for editing photos, and that's the general issue. Elements is good for editing photos, but that's not necessary what people who want to use an image editor are specifically wanting it for. Sometimes they want to do animated gifs, other times they want to do mockups.

They want prosumer software that basically is the regular photoshop, but cheaper because they can't be bothered to pay the price.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #137
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, how does GIMP compare? IT's FREE.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #138
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
GIMP is a piece of junk... It's like trying to use Blender after using Autodesk's $3,000 almost $4,000 Maya.

It's like all Linux software, clunky. It's built for techy people who like to make things harder for themselves.

I mean, it's great after you've learnt your way around it, but I've been using Adobe stuff since 1997 - PhotoDeluxe, and then Photoshop. Prior to that, I was using a program that came on my Apple IIe, and then Microsoft's Paintbrush/Paint. So, when I started using the Adobe stuff, the tools were very familiar to me.

I guess I shouldn't call it junk. More like it's built in a way that does not resemble the iconology or setup of the programs that came before it. Nor does it function the same.

It scares people, and that's why even though it's an option, people still prefer to pirate Photoshop.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #139
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It's like all Linux software, clunky. It's built for techy people who like to make things harder for themselves.

(Calibre excepted, of course....)

Every time I copy and paste 6 arcane 200 character command lines to do a task in Linux that would have required two mouse clicks in Windows, I think to myself "Why hasn't Linux taken over the desktop yet? I just don't get it...."

I love Linux, but it's funny cuz it's true....

Last edited by ApK; 11-01-2013 at 08:55 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #140
donpapachino
donpapachino began at the beginning.

Device: none
even big corporations are not safe from all this. it is definitely scary.
donpapachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #141
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

(Calibre excepted, of course....)

Every time I copy and paste 6 arcane 200 character command lines to do a task in Linux that would have required two mouse clicks in Windows, I think to myself "Why hasn't Linux taken over the desktop yet? I just don't get it...."

I love Linux, but it's funny cuz it's true....
Except Calibre, yeah. Calibre is brilliant and its complicated menus are useful for the sake of all the formats it supports.

Automator in OS X takes care of the terminal commands for me. I just build little apps to handle it all. You just need the code, and to setup a little folder for your starting point. You can put the folder on the sidebar, and then add the app to the toolbar in Finder. Brilliant.

Linux is fun in general otherwise. I'd just rather run everything in WINE though, and at that point there's no point.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #142
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
GIMP is absolutely fantastic; don't listen to the detractors. Photoshop is a huge ripoff. I use GIMP for all my website stuff and it does everything I need it to and more. A few years ago I thought it kind of sucked and was difficult to use, but then they updated it and now it's much much better.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #143
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
GIMP is absolutely fantastic; don't listen to the detractors. Photoshop is a huge ripoff. I use GIMP for all my website stuff and it does everything I need it to and more. A few years ago I thought it kind of sucked and was difficult to use, but then they updated it and now it's much much better.
It's been years since I had Gimp on here but good to know it's still around.

I am a Paint Shop Pro person myself before Corel bought them out. My favorite version is 7 though 9 has scripts I own both. I do have Photoshop CS3 but I haven't open it since I quit creating stuff for Sims 2 and Sims 3 I use PSP7 for everything. I find it much better for web design than PS.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #144
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
A few years ago I thought it kind of sucked and was difficult to use, but then they updated it and now it's much much better.
I might have to try the new version. I use an older version on the rare occasions I need to mess with alpha channels and masks, but smaller faster simpler programs serve my daily imaging needs. I have an old version of Paint Shop Pro, too. That's a great app.

Last edited by ApK; 11-03-2013 at 10:29 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #145
jswinden
Nameless Being

I agree that Gimp is too kludge to use for anything but casual processing. Professionals who use image processing on a daily basis don't want the added BS. I guess it fits well with the Millennials who think everything should be free and given to them. But it is not going to fit into a professional's work flow very well.

Prosumers (such as myself) and professionals need image processors that work with RAW images. Photoshop has long been the goto app for that. It has always been pricey, but most of us only updated every 2nd or 3rd version. For example, I went from CS3 to CS6 skipping CS4 and CS5. Several hundred dollars spent over a 3 or 4 year usage of the product is easier to accept, especially when you own the software, than it is to merely rent it at $240 per year. I think they dropped the price, but still it is not a good thing. It was easy to skip upgrades because most version upgrades were incremental and added more bloat anyway.

Apple's Aperture can do a fair job with RAW, but it is way behind Photoshop in capability. Apple spent way too much time integrating BS for Facebook and Twitter and dumbing down the interface for consumers. I would rather see a $400 Aperture Professional that is more like Photoshop and Lightroom. I could care less about social networking integrations.

Lightroom is where I do most of my post-processing. For now Adobe has left it out of the cloud only list. But I suspect they will make it cloud only in the future. Aperture has a lot of the same features, but it still lags behind LR. However, the LR interface is really bad and complicates your workflow.

Bottom line is this: If you only work with JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIF, etc. for web BS, then you don't need a professional grade image processor. Even if you do some photography processing but never use RAW, then you probably don't need a professional grade image processor. But for those who need a professional grade app there really isn't much out there that can compete with Photoshop. But now that Adobe has gone nuts on pricing and cloud crap, I'm hoping other companies will start pumping more into developing true competition to Photoshop.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-03-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #146
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I don't use either, because I'm not really a photography person -- I just know it comes preinstalled on my computer. And that it's run by the same people who have recently made a huge leap in user-friendliness for linux, which I assume passed down to GIMP. It certainly doesn't require the command-line!

I am not really knowledgeable about this particular field, but I would think for most use it basically does the job, even if it requires you to relearn a new interface. But I wouldn't have a clue what kinds of special capabilities either have.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #147
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I agree that Gimp is too kludge to use for anything but casual processing. Professionals who use image processing on a daily basis don't want the added BS. I guess it fits well with the Millennials who think everything should be free and given to them.
I use gimp and not Photoshop. I just can't justify the price of Photoshop for my use. Adobe should think about a licence price "normal" people can afford.

The most expensive software i bought are AfterShot, and InteliJ

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-03-2013 at 03:47 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #148
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
They do.
I agree - people are even willing to shell out $2600 for the full Creative Suite. Or, at least corporations are. Self employed professionals may not necessarily upgrade every year.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #149
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Adobe should think about a licence price "normal" people can afford.
I think that's why they came up with (the very crappy for its price) Photoshop Elements, and more recently with Creative Cloud. It is $20/month for a single app.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #150
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I think that's why they came up with (the very crappy for its price) Photoshop Elements, and more recently with Creative Cloud. It is $20/month for a single app.
Many apps are moving to a subscription service. Might seem small at $20 per month but when you are sick of paying for it, you either (a) find another product and potentially lose all work you have done due to compatibility issues, or (b) buy the retail version of said product.

As an accountant we see the big push for products such as MYOB and Quickbooks (now Reckon) to be purchased by consumers on a subscription basis. As said, if they want to stop using the subscription they have to shell out for the full retail product to keep using their data file.

But back on track with the Adobe issue, I tried logging into Adobe and required a password reset. Ok no worries, except (silly me) didn't update my email address. 6 sessions of talking to Adobe support and someone will in each of the 6 sessions would contact me within 2-3 business days to resolve the issue. So either Adobe are really really busy, or a business day for Adobe is the last friday of every month lol. Still waiting......
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote