Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
RGBaker
RGBaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Frustrating behaviour w/download

When I download an ACSM file, Calibre will always launch and load the file. I then have to delete the file from my Calibre library, and launch Adobe Digital Editions to actually retrieve the epub file so I can load the book into Calibre.

I don't know why Calibre does this. ADE is configured as the app that is called upon when I click on an acsm file, and I can find no where that tells Calibre to pay attention to acsm files. Calibre is configured as the app that is called if I click on an epub file, and it does this as expected. What isn't expected, is that Calibre is called when an acsm file is downloaded.

I use Mac OSX, and have used Calibre in many versions up to the most current -- I don't know whether my frustrating behaviour is caused by a Mac configuration, a Calibre configuration or a gremlin.

Any suggestions appreciated.
RGBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to change the file association for acsm, I'm not an OS X user so I dont recall how you do that in OS X, but a bit of googling should tell you the answer. And if it is happening on download then you may need to change the association in whatever browser you use as some browsers maintain their own lists of file associations.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
RGBaker

Thanks for the suggestions -- but the association is set to ADE and in fact that is what opens when I click on the file; I can find no where in Firefox (my usual browser) or Safari (alternate browser) where there is any listing of associations that include acsm -- I see just jpeg, mov, et cetera. So as far as I can tell, the association is set correctly, but obviously something is not right ...

Appreciate the suggestions, thanks. Calibre is a terrific program, and it is entirely likely my configuration problem is with some other software as you suggest, I just can't figure out where ...
Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
RGBaker

I stand corrected -- a more thorough review of the associations in Firefox reveals that 'Adobe Content Server Message' is configured to call up Firefox. I missed this as it is not listed by its extension, but by the full name as described. Changing this association has fixed my problem.

Thanks!

Tags
acsm, firefox