Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #106
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
What about the fragility of the screen of Nook ST?
Is it just as fragile as the screen of Nook Glo then?
Or do you mean the fragility of the light distributing layer of Glo?

I'm seriously thinking about getting an ST or two.
Because of the current anti-progress in e-reader development, it is becoming relatively better and better (PROS: buttons, SD card, rootable, no stupid light). And cheaper too.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #107
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
What about the fragility of the screen of Nook ST?
Is it just as fragile as the screen of Nook Glo then?
Or do you mean the fragility of the light distributing layer of Glo?

I'm seriously thinking about getting an ST or two.
Because of the current anti-progress in e-reader development, it is becoming relatively better and better (PROS: buttons, SD card, rootable, no stupid light). And cheaper too.
My wife has had her ST since day one and, until she got her Aura HD, she brought it with her everywhere she went. She has never had a problem with the screen. So I would say that the fragility is in the light distributing layer and not on the main screen.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #108
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
The screen appears to be stronger but I really cant say for sure as I've only had it for 36 hours. The page turns are very quick, quicker than my 650. The B&N near me was sold out of the covers so I was unable to purchase one to test out. If you are looking to upgrade and the Nook appeals to you then I say go for it. It is lighter than any ereader I own or know of and the coating is a nice soft touch that makes it good for marathon reading sessions. There are other ereaders that read epub that I like as well but the Nook has a very nice price point and doesn't force ads on you for that 119.00 price tag. If you live near a B&N I highly recommend going in and checking it out in person.
Thank you kikar & The-eBook-Reader for your information. I'm heading to Barnes & Noble soon to check it out. By the way, kikar, since you have the reader, can you confirm a few minor points for me please? Is the new Nook Glowlight still have the following features of the ST:

- Sideloaded books are arranged in folder/subfolder structure (I really want to keep my books in the folder/subfolder structure on the reader)
- There's some sort of English dictionary (I'm not a native English speaker)
- EPUB with unicode foreign fonts can be read if you have a line in the EPUB CSS that refer to their internal unicode font - droidsansfallback.ttf or sth similar)

Thank you
mimosa
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #109
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
My wife has had her ST since day one and, until she got her Aura HD, she brought it with her everywhere she went. She has never had a problem with the screen. So I would say that the fragility is in the light distributing layer and not on the main screen.
The original Glowlight had an issue that it could develop holes in the light layer after normal use so some people refer to it as being fragile since they say it wasn't roughly used. Mine is over a year old and never had that problem. I assume that's why B&N made a point of addressing durability on their product page.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #110
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Thank you kikar & The-eBook-Reader for your information. I'm heading to Barnes & Noble soon to check it out. By the way, kikar, since you have the reader, can you confirm a few minor points for me please? Is the new Nook Glowlight still have the following features of the ST:
- Sideloaded books are arranged in folder/subfolder structure (I really want to keep my books in the folder/subfolder structure on the reader)
- There's some sort of English dictionary (I'm not a native English speaker)
- EPUB with unicode foreign fonts can be read if you have a line in the EPUB CSS that refer to their internal unicode font - droidsansfallback.ttf or sth similar)
Thank you
mimosa
mimosa, the answers to your questions are yes, yes, and I don't know but most likely. The firmware seems to be functionally identical to the STR with small changes to the aesthetics to give it a fresh look.
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #111
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Thank you Bookworm_Girl. I'll definiltey check it out ASAP, especially with my birthday coming soon, hihi...
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #112
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
mimosa, the answers to your questions are yes, yes, and I don't know but most likely. The firmware seems to be functionally identical to the STR with small changes to the aesthetics to give it a fresh look.
Thanks for the answers Bookworm_Girl. I haven't sideloaded yet and I couldn't answer the third question either. I've just been using it to read the B&N books I have backlogged. I have however used the dictionary so that was the only question I could answer.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #113
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I have lots of books that I've purchased from Sony and Kobo and other stores so I have to sideload.

P.S. I like your device description, kikar. "Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife." I think many of us on this forum can relate!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #114
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bookworm_Girl,

some more questions:

1. Is it possible to use landscape orientation while reading epubs?
2. If so, what are the widest margins you can set in landscape orientation?
Can you have about 1 cm on both sides so that the width of text itself in landscape is no more than 10 cm?
3. Is Amasis font available? Or are you allowed to add your own fonts?
4. Can you access and copy to the PC the books you bought/downloaded from B&N?
From that special partition? Probably not?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #115
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

No, I don't think there is a landscape mode on either the old or new Nooks.

Yes, it has Amasis in addition to Georgia and Malabar for the serif fonts. No, you can't add your own fonts. You would have to embed the fonts into your own EPUB file and sideload.

They don't allow the B&N partition to be visible. You can see the partition for your side loaded books in a folder view. However, you can download your books from the B&N website (US accounts) to your PC. I do that to have a copy of all books for backup.

One nice feature is that you can add your own pictures for screensavers.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #116
parkher
Evangelist

Thanks. Good to know. I read on 6" only in landscape, but with pretty wide margins.
Easy with Cool Reader on a rooted T2 (or Nook ST).

Bookworm_Girl, do you have a Nook ST?
How does its screen compare to T2? Contrast and whiteness?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #117
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Yes, I have both the old STR and the old Glowlight in addition to the new Nook. I posted comparison photos in the thread about the new Nook in the News forum (posts #179 & 180 - sorry, too difficult to link to them using my phone).

I would say the new Nook looks very similar to the T2. I like the T2 better because it has many more features in the software but sadly it doesn't have a built-in light. Also Sony did a great job of the font rendering to make up for the lower resolution screen. Sony also has an option to refresh every page. The Nook looks very white when you turn the light on while reading in the daylight.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #118
parkher
Evangelist

I am interested only in the old non-glowing Nook ST. And how it compares to T2, because I have T2. Actually, three of them because I love them so much.
Nook ST now is very cheap and could be very useful for experimenting with software because it is impossible to brick it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #119
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
I am interested only in the old non-glowing Nook ST. And how it compares to T2, because I have T2. Actually, three of them because I love them so much.
Nook ST now is very cheap and could be very useful for experimenting with software because it is impossible to brick it.
I like the T2 better in that case. The STR text is bolder but not as smooth so the T2 is easier on my eyes. Also I refresh the T2 text every page which you can't do on the Nook. The T2 is whiter too. However, the STR is still nice and with the reduced price would probably suit your purpose.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #120
parkher
Evangelist

I am using Cool Reader, builds made by jotas.
He makes builds both for T1/T2 and separately for Nook.
So in his CR settings there are several refresh modes, probably you can force Nook to refresh every page.
Here:

E-Ink update mode:
- Quality
- Fast 1
- Fast 2

E-Ink full update interval: - here you can choose 3-200.

But in "Quality" mode full refresh is done for each page turn. At least on T2.

http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/...k-Touch-(jotas)

for T1/T2: cr3.0.57-15-39-jotas.apk
for Nook: cr3.0.57-15-39-nook-jotas.apk