Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
NY Times Announces Digital Subscription Plan

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/bu...imes.html?_r=1

First 20 articles are free, then...
Quote:
Once readers click on their 21st article, they will have the option of buying one of three digital news packages — $15 for a month of access to the Web site and a mobile phone app; $20 for Web access and an iPad app; and $35 for an all-access plan.

Quote:
All subscribers who receive the paper through home delivery will have free and unlimited access across all Times digital platforms except, for now, e-readers like the Amazon Kindle and the Barnes & Noble Nook.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Argh, too spendy for me.

Looks like the Kindle-only subscription is $20 -- I wonder if that will change any time soon, or bundle it with the Web access.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
If there is anything I'll pay for it's that site. I spend a lot of time reading it and I have even more saved up in my Instapaper locker.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Argh, too spendy for me.

Looks like the Kindle-only subscription is $20 -- I wonder if that will change any time soon, or bundle it with the Web access.
Almost makes me wish I'd kept my paper subscription up. Almost.
Quote:
If you are a home delivery subscriber of The New York Times, you will continue to have full and free access to our news, information, opinion and the rest of our rich offerings on your computer, smartphone and tablet.
I'm sure it varies by region, but here it's $14.80/week for the real paper.

I like how Twitter links don't count towards your 20 articles-how soon before someone creates a Twitter account that posts every article daily?

Last edited by kjk; 03-17-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
So they're doing a Pandora. That will definitely limit how much time I spend there, as I have no intention of paying for news content of any kind.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
So they're doing a Pandora. That will definitely limit how much time I spend there, as I have no intention of paying for news content of any kind.
So no actual newspapers or news magazines either? Cable news? CNN? Fox?

(We actually don't have any physical newspaper or magazine subs, and don't currently have cable either. Which is a point of some contention with other members of the family )
Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post

(We actually don't have any physical newspaper or magazine subs, and don't currently have cable either. Which is a point of some contention with other members of the family )
I do Google News. No TV news, newspapers, magazines, etc. Since I have cable TV & internet, technically I'm paying for it. What I meant was paying for content outside of my cable/internet bill.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
So, if I understand this correctly, if I use my computer at home and the computer at work, I can look at 40 articles a month for free? I really only use the Books section in the NYT anyway.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Argh, too spendy for me.

I think it's still cheaper than my print subscription. But for web readers it's a pretty steep price. Yet another reason to grab a full on Slate PC device such as the Eee 121 and using the NYT Windows reader app. Or is that one also tied to my print subscription. I honestly do not remember I set it up so long ago.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #10
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post

Hey a kindred spirit of a sort. I haven't had a cable subscription since about 2000 or so. I've lived with online streaming solutions and Netflix for my video needs, a Roku box, Winamp, and whatever other online options exist and won't put me on the FBI's violent felons list.

I have clung to a print sub to the NYT though and I am on the left coast. But I've archived a lifetime's worth of NYT crossword puzzles so I would be happy to drop that monthly expense as well. I mean it's not like the news is any fun anyway.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
You can always read the NYT on Pressdisplay for 9.99 a month. You actually have a choice of one paper out of over 1000 each day. I usually choose the International Herald Tribune, the international edition of the NYT.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:42 AM   #12
dalijon
dalijon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
What a bummer. Just last night I started using calibre to download NYT to my kindle and was all excited to start reading the paper regularly. When I looked at this mornings front page (on my kindle, of course) I saw that my plans will not last for very long. Just realized that I could ask my father, who has a print subscription, to set up his calibre to fetch the NYT and email to my kindle email -- yeah!!!
dalijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalijon View Post
What a bummer. Just last night I started using calibre to download NYT to my kindle and was all excited to start reading the paper regularly. When I looked at this mornings front page (on my kindle, of course) I saw that my plans will not last for very long. Just realized that I could ask my father, who has a print subscription, to set up his calibre to fetch the NYT and email to my kindle email -- yeah!!!
Is that permitted under the terms of your father's subscription?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
And they have agreed to Apple's terms for subscriptions and will put an in-app purchase system in place by June 30th.
http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2011...hrough-itunes/
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
snipenekkid
Banned

The thing I still find confusing is I don't need to pay extra for my subscription using the Windows NYT desktop reader BUT if I wanted to view it on the iPad I have to basically pay for the whole subscription again using what equates to the same reader app as I have free and as part of my existing subscription.

Basically this issue now illustrates the added cost to the consumer for Apple's rather extreme position on subscription, from accessing this already paid for content. I suppose a browser is an option but even that might or might not be kosher.

For me a major real short coming of Apple's model is that it precludes any existing subscribers, for anything, who either have existing subscriptions or purchased their subscription outside the iOS device. But for me it's another reason not to re-consider an iPad. I don't think many people will see added value in paying twice for the same subscription. So, I hope something breaks loose here. Of course the NYT doesn't care because it just means more cash for them even if it's only a small subset of existing subscribers who are willing to pay for the 2nd subscription.

hehehe, I wonder if the NYT will do an article in their Tech Section about the newly enforced subscription fee model potentially requiring people to pay twice, or more, for the same content.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 03-18-2011 at 05:26 PM.