Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you judge a book by its cover?
Yes, I do! 73 66.97%
No, never! 12 11.01%
Difficult to say 11 10.09%
I like chocolate muffins! 13 11.93%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
Spock96
Book Geek.
Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
When I buy books I buy them half for what I read on the back or inside the cover. The other half would be strictly by cover art.

Spock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I voted yes. Certain covers definitely turn me away from a book. But if the book comes with a recommendation I will look further than the cover.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
There's lots of ways to judge a book apart from by the cover.

I've got some books for free as the first book in a series. They hope that you will buy the book once you've read the first book.

Many book selling sites let you read previews of the book. Usually of the first chapter or 10 pages or whatever.

Recommendations by friends, associates etc who have a similar interest.

If you're looking at physical books (I don't see any reason why this thread is restricted to ebooks) just going to a bookstore and browsing the shelves, flipping through the books.

That's just a few methods...... I'm sure there's others than just deciding on a book by its cover..
All of these except the recommendations take more time than glancing at a cover. I'm not going to pick up the book in the first place if the cover doesn't appeal to me.

I also judge books by title. Intriguing title, intriguing cover--then I'll read the blurb.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
All of these except the recommendations take more time than glancing at a cover. I'm not going to pick up the book in the first place if the cover doesn't appeal to me.

I also judge books by title. Intriguing title, intriguing cover--then I'll read the blurb.
The time it takes to do any of those things wasn't in the OP. The question was do you only judge by the cover? you answered what alternatives are there?
You didn't say "Only specify alternatives as quick as looking at a cover"

I answered your question with reasonable possibilities based on your reply.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I would prefer just a text cover to a bad cover..
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Book Covers and Titles may make me notice the book and pick it out. They are not going to cause me to buy the book. And now that I buy ebooks I do not even notice the cover of a book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #22
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
varies for me

if its an author I have read/enjoyed before then I don't take much notice of the cover

for authors i haven't read before, the cover plays a big part in deciding whether to try it, the cover looks good I read more about the book, and possibly get it

when looking at the daily free books on amazon, the cover plays a big part in filtering out the books to get
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #23
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
If the cover looks like something a 10yr old did in 2 minutes in Photoshop, I can't imagine the inside being much better...
i.e like this

For example only, not my type of book.

I won't even pick it up...
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaejr View Post
If the cover looks like something a 10yr old did in 2 minutes in Photoshop, I can't imagine the inside being much better...
i.e like this

I won't even pick it up...
Exactly.

It seems in general that eBooks can have some really bad covers since the author must have made them quickly in Photoshop.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #25
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
The time it takes to do any of those things wasn't in the OP. The question was do you only judge by the cover? you answered what alternatives are there?
You didn't say "Only specify alternatives as quick as looking at a cover"

I answered your question with reasonable possibilities based on your reply.
Huh? I didn't ask you or anyone else any question.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #26
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The cover, if well designed, should fairly represent a book's content.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #27
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i mainly buy indie ebooks so if their cover looks like they handed their dog a box of colored pencils, it gets skipped. i'd rather have no cover than some of the truly embarrassing ones i've seen. the internet is packed to the gills with talented artists and stock photos, theres no excuse.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I have to say that if a cover grabs my eye I will tend to look at the book further.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
There's lots of ways to judge a book apart from by the cover.

I've got some books for free as the first book in a series. They hope that you will buy the book once you've read the first book.

Many book selling sites let you read previews of the book. Usually of the first chapter or 10 pages or whatever.
Yeah, but judging the cover (by which I'm including the title) is what lets most people take the next step of thumbing through (or checking a sample) it to see if they might want it.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #30
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am weird. I do all of my book shopping online and I can't say that the cover means anything to me. (shrugs)

Heck, I am annoyed that the Kindle App and Kindle for PC show the covers instead of just list the title. I don't like the idea of my nephew wanting to look at my Kindle books on my IPad and going "what is up with all the people in rope?"
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote