Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
pyrokamileon
pyrokamileon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
stylus for Kobo Touch

I'll be getting my Touch next week so until then these are just some thoughts I've had..

I'm more or less being dragged kicking and screaming into the touch generation that almost all displays are in these days, I don't like dirtying screens with my fingers and then having to clean them later. as well as I understand the infrared touch screen technology that is being used on the Kobo it sort of creates a barrier of light over the screen and when the barrier is disturbed it knows where on the x and y axis and responds accordingly, which is why they say you can used a gloved finger (although I've never heard anyone speak of what will happen when a fly lands on the screen :-p). So in the interest of keeping the screen clean and my fingers off it I was thinking of fashioning my own stylus solution, if the screen works the way I think it does then pretty much anything would work. but I was thinking something soft and non-oily like a q-tip would do the trick or maybe a pencil with the eraser end down would look less embarrassing. any good ideas?
pyrokamileon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrokamileon View Post
So in the interest of keeping the screen clean and my fingers off it I was thinking of fashioning my own stylus solution, if the screen works the way I think it does then pretty much anything would work. but I was thinking something soft and non-oily like a q-tip would do the trick or maybe a pencil with the eraser end down would look less embarrassing. any good ideas?
Those would work. If you want something more stylus-like, eBay usually has a pack of 10 Nintendo DS styluses for $1 too -- small, light and portable. For something classier (and made of more durable material), look for styluses on eBay designed for various mobile phone models.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
pyrokamileon
pyrokamileon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
thanks for the suggestions viviena, that's an awesome deal but one reason I didn't already resort to a store-bought stylus option like the somewhat fine, hard plastic tip of something like a DS stylus was because I wanted something soft and perhaps mesh-y or fabric-y.. well when I get my Touch I'll test out a couple different ideas.. I may end up making something of my own..
pyrokamileon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I use a Targus stylus that is designed for a capacitive screen--nice round soft end. I think it makes my touch motions more consistent and precise. I bought it to use with my capacitive cell phone, so it does double duty. I got in the stylus habit when I used a Palm device. I can type faster than the young'ns with my trusty stylus in hand.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I did notice that i could change the page with a pice of paper and gloves on.
I have seen devices that have been totally destroyed by stylus use and those were made for them. With the touch your not generally inputing anything with some small exceptions.. But i dont think the screen is designed to be used with a stylus. I suspect it could be undeuley damaged by the use of one. You may wish to speak to Kobo support and see what they say. But you have suggested something soft i wonder if you could fashion a felt cap for a stylus to protect the screen?

best of luck

regards

jack

Last edited by jackastor; 06-29-2011 at 12:28 AM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
A pencil eraser might leave residue. If you live in the US, I heard there's something called plastidip, that rubberizes anything you dip in it. You could try dunking a DS stylus nib.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's nonsensical speculation, Jack. It's a soft rubber stylus and I use less pressure than I do with my fingers. It makes my touch more precise, something that is important for me because I have a disability that effects how my fingers work. I bet that with it I do less double tapping than most people do, btw.

Last edited by taming; 06-29-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
A pencil eraser might leave residue. If you live in the US, I heard there's something called plastidip, that rubberizes anything you dip in it. You could try dunking a DS stylus nib.
Available at princess auto in canada as well for tools such as pliers etc.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
That's nonsensical speculation, Jack. It's a soft rubber stylus and I use less pressure than I do with my fingers. It makes my touch more precise, something that is important for me because I have a disability that effects how my fingers work. I bet that with it I do less double tapping than most people do, btw.
Not really and its an actual observation not speculation. That said, you mention you use yours because of a disability of your fingers, all the stylus I have seen and used have a hard plastic tip. A soft rubber one as you mentiond would definatly be a better option. I have replaced screens on palm pilots etc that have a well worn stylus path and that screen is definatly more robust then the touch one. Most people have a tendency to be abusive towards touch screens thinking they have to apply loads of presure to make it work. Sort of like when someone shouts into their cell phone in an effort to make the voice travel faster to the other person on the other end?

I am all for using things that allow us to do things, faster more effiently and easily.

regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The styli that have been created for capacitive screens are very different than the narrow hard plastic ones we used with palm devices. They have larger surface areas and are very soft.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #11
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
The styli that have been created for capacitive screens are very different than the narrow hard plastic ones we used with palm devices. They have larger surface areas and are very soft.
See i learned some more new stuff now!
And no caps!

regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Yup, learning is a good thing. I may have been a bit overly sensitive because you posted your warning right after I posted about this particular kind of stylus.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:

Yup, learning is a good thing. I may have been a bit overly sensitive because you posted your warning right after I posted about this particular kind of stylus.
I would rather suggest simultaneous posting as it was not there till after i had posted. Also your allowed to be as sensitive as you choose to be:P I will always value your opinion regardless.

regards

jack

Last edited by jackastor; 06-29-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

In any case, with this kind of stylus, the surface area is large enough that it seems to trigger the sensor properly when the "target" is one of those circle things on various menus or a key on the keyboard. Its definitely better than my wonky fingers (and mine are wonkier than most people's)
Old 06-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
In any case, with this kind of stylus, the surface area is large enough that it seems to trigger the sensor properly when the "target" is one of those circle things on various menus or a key on the keyboard. Its definitely better than my wonky fingers (and mine are wonkier than most people's)
I find that my fingers dont always trigger things the way I expect them too. I wonder if fine tuning is needed on Kobos part with this.

regards

jack