Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #76
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
If I could move files around, I'll be a definite buyer; otherwise..

Edit: otherwise, it depends

Last edited by dioib; 01-27-2010 at 02:11 PM.
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #77
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Is it Adobe DRM'd ePub or is it some new version of DRM by Apple, iDRM?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #78
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Hell, the more I think about it... it would have just been better to take the MacBook, give it a rotating touch screen and be done with it
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #79
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
If they allow it. I'm worried they'll remove it on the grounds that it duplicates functionality as they've done with other apps.
Be pretty hard for them to remove an existing app after stating ALL iPhone apps will work on it.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #80
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
you said the battery life was meh and then referred to the battery life of a completely different device being better.

irrelevant and pointless comments really.

If your genuinely now decided that it isnt for you then fine I dont mind taht and i get that you dont think it suits you, as you dont want a tablet device anyway.

I guess you dont need to keep posting in here, apologies if I offended you I just though it was a silly post.

anyway this is going nowhere so... Im Out.
I made a comparison between what I need and what this delivers, that's what I did. In fact, no, I didn't do that, all I said was 'meh' which pretty much sums up my whole reaction to this announcment. You're the one who took it beyond that. Jesus tapdancing Christ, but you'd think I spat on someone the way people react.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #81
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is it Adobe DRM'd ePub or is it some new version of DRM by Apple, iDRM?
If it is ePub I am sure what we will need it just to figure out the key for the DRM... like how ADE uses your email and B&N uses your name and cc info
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #82
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Jesus, it's like I insulted someone's God or something by saying I don't like the look of this thing or that the battery life isn't good enough.
You just came across as overly harsh. Many were worried the thing would only get 4-6 hours of battery life. 10 hours for a device with a screen that size while watching video is more than anyone reasonably expected.

Anyone is going to be disappointed with devices if they have expectations that are way out of sync with current technology.

I'm no Apple fanboy. I've never owned a single Apple product in my life as I've always found them overpriced, been tied to windows for work etc.

I just don't get bashing a battery life on a device that's above what people were reasonably expecting. And find it silly to compare it to an e-ink device as it's not mean to be that kind of device. It's not aiming for the avid readers who need tons of battery life.

It's aimed at people who want something between a laptop and PC, that's more portable and has a better form function for reading, playing games, surfing the net (without much typing) etc. A netbook is heavier than this, thicker, most can't do video (especially HD) worth a damn. And most don't get 10 hours of battery life while displaying video. So netbooks are completely useless to me, given how much I watch streaming HD video.

So 10 hours seems very damn good for the type of device it is and what it can do. So I don't get the point of holding it to some unreasonable standard because you're e-ink device which only does one task lasts much longer.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 01-27-2010 at 02:13 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #83
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Hell, the more I think about it... it would have just been better to take the MacBook, give it a rotating touch screen and be done with it
Now that would have been very exciting (and I sort of imagined something like that before the announcement).
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #84
Hobohodou
not such a "badguy" =/
Hobohodou has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Hobohodou has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Hobohodou has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3/Bebook + Zune HD
Quote:
I think this would have worked, but they would be avoiding all previous tablets which would have "failed" for having a desktop UI...

This way it appeals to a comfortable spot of people who can use the Iphone or Ipod Touch.

Would have worked better as a tablet netbook hybrid....1GHz is overkill IMO if they don't at least have multiple apps running at once...
Hobohodou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #85
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I wonder how this is going to affect Amazon? If the publishers can charge whatever they like with Apple and get 70% does this mean the publishers will stop providing digital versions of their books to Amazon, or that Amazon will need to adopt the Apple pricing structure?

I also noticed that Random House was not mentioned with the other publishers. I wonder why.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #86
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
Edit (I meant iWork) : 9.99?! come on!

Last edited by dioib; 01-27-2010 at 03:20 PM.
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #87
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioib View Post
If I could move files around, I'll be a definite buyer; otherwise..

Edit: otherwise, it depends
I think thats the key point they are clearly aiming this in the 'not a computer' space. so I dont think there will be any of that... but maybe.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #88
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I wonder how this is going to affect Amazon? If the publishers can charge whatever they like with Apple and get 70% does this mean the publishers will stop providing digital versions of their books to Amazon, or that Amazon will need to adopt the Apple pricing structure?
That is what worries me... then again there are other places to get books and something like that may drive me to find alternate means of obtaining eBooks
Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #89
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
If it is ePub I am sure what we will need it just to figure out the key for the DRM... like how ADE uses your email and B&N uses your name and cc info
Could be, but since ePub has no 'official' DRM they can really do anything they want to encrypt things if they don't use Adobe's Adept.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #90
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
the hell, it does have 3G...well, some of them.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote