Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

View Poll Results: With ePub here, do you still need RTF?
What's an ePub? 4 6.78%
ePub rawcks... RTF is sooo last century! 32 54.24%
Not sure... I don't know how to convert ePubs 7 11.86%
Not sure... I don't know how to convert RTFs 2 3.39%
RTF rules! Old School! Old School! 18 30.51%
What's an RTF? 4 6.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #31
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Decision

I'd say the final poll result has been decisive. Therefore, beginning with the next novel out, I will discontinue offering RTF files in favor of ePub. Further, I plan to review all other book formats offered at the SJB, with the intention of discontinuing as many of them as possible and relying on ePub formats for all sales.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The formats that should be offered (IMHO) are ePub, eReader, LIT, LRF and Mobipocket. HTML could be offered if you have a clean source to start from.

I don't know of any computer that cannot read at least one of those formats.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #33
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The formats that should be offered (IMHO) are ePub, eReader, LIT, LRF and Mobipocket. HTML could be offered if you have a clean source to start from.

I don't know of any computer that cannot read at least one of those formats.
As far as I know, both Windows and Mac OS X can only read HTML and RTF without having to install special programs (Microsoft Reader for LIT on Windows). And there will always be some users not proficient enough to know how to install a program, but wanting to read a book on a Macbook.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #34
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
As far as I know, both Windows and Mac OS X can only read HTML and RTF without having to install special programs (Microsoft Reader for LIT on Windows). And there will always be some users not proficient enough to know how to install a program, but wanting to read a book on a Macbook.
Although I see your point, it's hard to appreciate someone who doesn't know how to:
  1. Open a browser
  2. go to a reader's site
  3. click the ever-present "download to install FREE reader" button.
I even provide links to exactly those readers on my site, to make them easy for a visitor to find. Someone who cannot manage that is probably unlikely to be reading books on a Macbook, eh? I'd question how they even found out e-books exist...

I suppose it does raise the question: How far should booksellers cater to those who are that helpless on a computer? (Of course, people such as those in the U.S. can always buy a Kindle...)

But that raises another question: How much of that "helplessness" is due to unfamiliarity, for instance, the man from Barcelona with limited English skills who is trying to find his way around an American website? Are multiple formats helping or hindering him?

(BTW: My proclamation in #31 was actually more of a joke, not a completely serious statement. Check the date on it... )
Old 04-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #35
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Stick with RTF is my opinion. RTF files are just that, a file, one, single, simple, almost universally readable file that people can convert to and from with readily available (if not pre-installed) tools. Whereas epubs are not a file type but a zipped folder of html and xml and other files (I know you already know that Steve). Which makes working with them a nightmare for the average Joe or Jane.

Cheers,

Steve(ondabeach)
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #36
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Wow Steve, I just looked back up the page (which I should have done first doh!) and I can't beleive that you would discontinue to provide your books in RTF. Such little effort is required to continue supporting RTF's and choice is a good thing. So many people and companies have shot themselves in the foot by going proprietry or limiting people's choices.

Cheers,

Steve(ondabeach)
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #37
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Then relax... and read the end of post #34. Then look at #31 again. 34... 31...

It was a joke! April Fool! Sorry if you missed that... I didn't mean to upset anyone!

I am not discontinuing RTF, nor do I have any immediate plans to do so. Maybe if, further down the line, some really easy-for-Grandma (not the one in the desert) ePub-to-whatever converter apps come along, or if e-book readers and reading apps all come standard with built-in ePub converters, I will probably stop creating RTFs. (For that matter, if they do the same with RTFs, I may stop creating ePubs!)
Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Then relax... and read the end of post #34. Then look at #31 again. 34... 31...

It was a joke! April Fool! Sorry if you missed that... I didn't mean to upset anyone!

I am not discontinuing RTF, nor do I have any immediate plans to do so. Maybe if, further down the line, some really easy-for-Grandma (not the one in the desert) ePub-to-whatever converter apps come along, or if e-book readers and reading apps all come standard with built-in ePub converters, I will probably stop creating RTFs. (For that matter, if they do the same with RTFs, I may stop creating ePubs!)
Calibre ... any2lit any2mobi epub2lrf

Doesn't get much easier then that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #39
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Sure, I know Calibre, and I've used it. But as good as it is, it's not something I'd try to get Joe Computerphobe to use... or even my wife, who is Mac-centric but not that interested in learning all kinds of apps. (Heck, she's hardly touched the iPod I got her for her birthday, and how simple is burning CDs on a Mac?)

That's why I'd rather see a built-in, you-don't-have-to-think-about-it, on-board ePub conversion app in every SW or HW reader. Just like Word opens text files, WordPerfect files, RTF or HTML, without any effort on the user's part, and it doesn't matter what platform you're on. E-books need that.