Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
But oh keen round bird isn't that a common complaint about the Android devices?
All those different flavors on each device. All those versions and altered versions of Droid OSs.

I recall also the complaints when MS Windows tried to make all previous models, hardware and software, compliant with the latest version of software.
Shouldn't Apple have just said, that the new iOS7 was for the next so and so devices and all previous models are fine as they are and users have to adapt to the future.
The problem is that the latest (and most) apps from iTunes won't even install on the older OS's, such as what's on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch, which is less than four years old. There's a few apps that won't install on older versions of Android, but not as much as what I've seen from Apple.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
The problem is that the latest (and most) apps from iTunes won't even install on the older OS's, such as what's on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch, which is less than four years old. There's a few apps that won't install on older versions of Android, but not as much as what I've seen from Apple.
Software eventually kills off older devices. Looking at the list of supported devices shows that iOS 7 won't run on any device with less than 512 MB of RAM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #18
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
I can see it now. A faintly glimmering pallid figure rising from the tomb, and saying:

"Look you fools! Don't you get it? This is MAGIC! With magic, you cut some things in HALF and you make other things DISAPPEAR!

Now go buy our latest devices and stop complaining!"
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #19
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
And I just sold off a three year old Android tablet because I couldn't get 80% of the Apps to run that I have on a Galaxy 2 and Nexus 7... I guess every 8 in 10 isn't that much then...

Oh yes, the tablet couldn't even be updated to a later version of Android because the manufacturer no longer supported it and its "tweaked" Android OS...

Last edited by elcreative; 06-12-2013 at 12:03 AM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Yes, it is accurate. Apple is dishonest when it says that the iPhone 4 will get iOS7 but neglects to put the asterisk that indicates some features of iOS7 are not available on the iPhone 4.

This is just Apple's way of masking their own fragmentation issue but in a way that confuses the consumer.
Actually if anyone actually bothered to do their research ON the Apple site, its there, clearly, in black and white, what works and what doesn't on each device.

Quote:
Features are subject to change. Not all features are available on all devices.
Panorama format is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation). Square and video formats and swipe to capture are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
Filters in Camera are available on iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation). Filters in Photos are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
AirDrop is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires an iCloud account.
Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply. New female and male voices will be available initially in U.S. English, French, and German.
Find My iPhone enables you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas.
iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later), iPad, or iPad mini; a Mac computer with OS X Lion or later; or a PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Outlook 2007 or later or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts, and calendars). Some features require iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
at http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

Seems to me that people just want to complain. I have a 4S and the couple of features missing are not features I actually care about.... filters in camera? jeez. who cares. and if you do, there are a BAZILLION free apps to do the same thing, as well as many paid ones which do it better.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #21
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
many half worms found
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #22
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Actually if anyone actually bothered to do their research ON the Apple site, its there, clearly, in black and white, what works and what doesn't on each device.

at http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

Seems to me that people just want to complain. I have a 4S and the couple of features missing are not features I actually care about.... filters in camera? jeez. who cares. and if you do, there are a BAZILLION free apps to do the same thing, as well as many paid ones which do it better.
But some people are not happy unless they are complaining!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
But some people are not happy unless they are complaining!

It's not really about complaining, since the people in question do not and never will own or use Apple products. It's about lying to and manipulating others to discourage them from doing so.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Things like AirPlay will not be available on certain devices because they do not have the chipset to support it is my understanding, not because Apple chooses not to. Is that correct?

People are not understanding why a recently released iPad 3 will not have it, it is because it cannot. Then to me it was smart to take the 3 off the market when they did instead of later.

Last edited by robertc88; 06-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
It's not really about complaining, since the people in question do not and never will own or use Apple products. It's about lying to and manipulating others to discourage them from doing so.
I would not say it is about manipulating anyone. For one would hope that if someone was contemplating buying a product that costs that much, they would do their own due diligence.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
That sounds heinous!

I hope that it hasn't happened to you.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Trust the monkey when he says that Android is better
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
That sounds heinous!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
That sounds heinous!

Heinous? More like pitiful.

Part of the intent is to deceive others, but another part is to justify one's own purchasing decisions through constant repetition of scripted tropes, however inaccurate.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #30
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Couldn't it just be a conversation without this ploy?
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote