Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
trooperchix
trooperchix began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Updated Calibre but old version still comes up..

I run Ubuntu Precise 12.04. I have noticed two issues. One, calibre has stopped recognizing my kindle 3. It had before, not sure what changed, other than an upgrade in my Ubuntu version.

It is related to the bigger issue.. I have repeatedly attempted to upgrade calibre as per the instructions. For whatever reason, upon booting calibre, the version that comes up is 0.8.29. I've tried the upgrade a number of times. I've even gone as far as deleting the installation directory then reinstalling. No change. Any ideas? Thanks.
trooperchix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooperchix View Post
I run Ubuntu Precise 12.04. I have noticed two issues. One, calibre has stopped recognizing my kindle 3. It had before, not sure what changed, other than an upgrade in my Ubuntu version.

It is related to the bigger issue.. I have repeatedly attempted to upgrade calibre as per the instructions. For whatever reason, upon booting calibre, the version that comes up is 0.8.29. I've tried the upgrade a number of times. I've even gone as far as deleting the installation directory then reinstalling. No change. Any ideas? Thanks.
The repository version is ANCIENT and only gets changed when a new version of Ubuntu is released. IMHO 'remove' using Synaptic
Then run the command line shown on the Calibre Linux Download page
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
malevans
malevans began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I am having what appears to be the same issue as trooperchix except I am running Win7 32 bit.

For the last 5 or 6 upgrades I have dutifully run the upgrade pretty much as soon as it is released however it still shows that I am running 0.8.56 and that I need to upgrade to 0.8.61 as of today.

I checked the dates on the .exe which shows 19/07/12 which ties in line with the release on 20/7.

I can see that the updates are being applied by checking the current functionality against the change log eg. my current version show news feeds that were added in 0.8.6 etc.

I would normally just hit Help|About to check the version number but alas Calibre doesn't follow that.

Any suggestions?? I have not yet uninstalled and reinstalled latest version but my feeling is that it may clear the issue only in the short term.

Appreciate any ideas.

Cheers
malevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do you have an asterix next to the version number in calibre? In which case you have setup calibre to run from source in the past. Update your source checkout or unset the CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM environment variable.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
malevans
malevans began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the reply Kovid.
I dont have an asterix as you can see from the screen shot attached. It is showing that I am only running 0.8.56 however as per my original post it seems that I am running at least 0.8.6.

I don't recall 'doing anything' that would have changed settings apart from whatever is accessible via preferences.

Hope you are able to point me in the right direction

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenClip.png
Views:	319
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	89694  
malevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Then do an uninstall and re-install.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If an uninstall/reinstall does not fix the problem then it might be worth checking the properties of the shortcut you use to start calibre in cae it is pointing to another version installed somewhere else.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #8
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Also helpful: "which calibre" shows you, which calibre version is started, when you start it without a specified path (The first one found in your PATH might be the old one)
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, not recognize, not recognized, not upgrading, ubuntu