Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
pweasel
pweasel began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad v1
Lightbulb Are there any 'Best Practises' tips for maintaining a large comic library?

I've tried adding comics, but the amount of directories Calibre creates is apalling (one for each comic, instead one for each series for example). Is there anything that can ease this?
pweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Comic Rack might be more of what you are looking for
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
calibre puts each title in a subdirectory under the author subdirectory in the calibre directory. That is the way it works.

In practice you shouldn't have to look at the directories and it isn't a concern to most people. Kind of like mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
pweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
calibre puts each title in a subdirectory under the author subdirectory in the calibre directory. That is the way it works.

In practice you shouldn't have to look at the directories and it isn't a concern to most people. Kind of like mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Helen
actually, in small numbers, it doesn't matter at all, but i'm talking VAST amounts, like fremen in the desert.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
pweasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Comic Rack might be more of what you are looking for

thanks, i'll look into it right now
Old 10-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pweasel View Post
I've tried adding comics, but the amount of directories Calibre creates is apalling (one for each comic, instead one for each series for example). Is there anything that can ease this?
Using calibre to access, open, search and sort your library means 1 or 100,000 folders makes no difference.

Good luck searching for what you want.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
actually, in small numbers, it doesn't matter at all, but i'm talking VAST amounts, like fremen in the desert.
Vast amounts to me is more than 20,000 individual books, files, comics etc.

I do have way more than that and don't (so far) have a problem.
I have used comic rack and comic shelf and a few more and find that the overhead is higher for me.

Calibre works good for me but whatever works for you
Old 10-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #8
pweasel

17k books (english/spanish so some are the same), 16k comics, and a couple thousand magazines

::insert awkward emoticon here::
Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard

eek That is a lot.

At least I have only 10 comics so far.

You have quite a task ahead of you, but calibre really does do a super job on the ebooks organization part anyway.

Helen
Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Ababakar
Ababakar began at the beginning.

Device: none
i tried comicrack first to - but as i use linux i had to emulate it. First minus.
I let it read in all my comics - but it wasn't able to recognize any of them - author nor series nor anything - also not with the comicscraper plugin.
I tried it for several hours - so i guess i can say i looked into all functions.
The biggest issue for me would be as the faqs there state "Can I script looking up my comic, renaming, and adding the data from online databases" - but this doesn't work for me - maybe because it just don't, maybe because i read european an not american comics. If this would work i would say i stick with that program.
Looks fancy though - but the libary functions as far as i tried out are nothing better for comics than calibre is - as comicrack page says - comicbook reader...
Ababakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I'm also interested in managing my comic collection. I don't care about the number of folders and all but I'm not sure there is a good source for metadata for comics. Are there any sources which have a big comic's database?
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
I'm also interested in managing my comic collection. I don't care about the number of folders and all but I'm not sure there is a good source for metadata for comics. Are there any sources which have a big comic's database?
Not unless you plan to create the metadata source plug-in yourself.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote